The Fuller Memorandum by Charles Stross

The Fuller Memorandum

by Charles Stross

Series: The Laundry (3)

Declare by Tim Powers (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: There is a shared delight in mixing Cold War paranoia and the mystical/fantastic in these two novels.

English (40)  French (2)  All languages (42)
Just a review to remind myself of why I liked this book:

The Fuller Memorandum details the break-up of a cultist organization and a Laundry leak, we also get to know TEAPOT and Angleton's story. We see Mo and Bob as a married couple, and Bob on his way *up*. Good work, to my mind a generic Laundry book if there ever was one. Nice read nonetheless. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
I quite enjoyed this book. It takes place a couple years after the events of The Jennifer Morgue, and once again Howard is drawn into a dangerous and complex web of intrigue by his superiors. Armed with only his shiny new smartphone, Bob Howard is forced to face off against the undead, ancient horrors, and worst of all, the bureaucrats within the Laundry itself.

I think this book may even have flowed better than The Jennifer Morgue, and I was pleasantly surprised by the book overall. I was worried that Stross wouldn't be able to keep it entertaining without being able to parody the Bond mythos like he did in the previous book, but the book was fast-paced, well-written and quite funny.

He still does the occasional POV shift this time, but he does a better job of making it flow within the structure of the story. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
This is another solid entry in the Laundry Files series. I really like this series's blend of spooky horror, self-deprecating humor, and technology-based magic. Mo has really come into her own by this book, and is a significant player in its plot from the beginning. It was cool that we found out what Angleton's deal is.The reveal of the final villain was a complete surprise to me! ( )
  lavaturtle | Mar 24, 2018 |
Highly recommended, particularly if you're a fan of the Dresden Files. They're not the same story, obviously, but they have certain affinities and similar tone. ( )
  Lindoula | Sep 25, 2017 |
I've liked the previous books in this series, the Jennifer Morgue is pure genius - but this book, was a slog. The universe that is created is lots of fun, but this book took into a direction that was too dark. Outside of the Iphone turned into powerful spell generator, I found most of it quite depressing - from the tone (The End is Near), to what happened to Bob. The mysteries were quite easy to figure out, and I had certain character fingered as soon as the clues were presented. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 12, 2017 |
The Fuller Memorandum is not a perfect book, but there are more things I like than dislike about it. It’s definitely not a sequel that skulks in the shadows of its predecessors, trying to repeat what was done before; it’s braver, and branches out into more unfamiliar territory. And fails a little bit, but manages to get pounding on shore in the end.

Stross, Charlesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frederickson, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of
Charles N. Brown and John M. Ford.
We miss you both.
There can be only One True Religion.

While recovering a missing top secret dossier that his boss is accused of stealing, British super spy Bob Howard must safely navigate Russian agents, ancient demons, and an undead entity called the Eater of Souls.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,161,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible