The Fuller Memorandum by Charles Stross

The Fuller Memorandum (edition 2011)

by Charles Stross

985378,714 (4)19
Title:The Fuller Memorandum
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Ace Books 2011-06-28 (2011), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned

The Fuller Memorandum by Charles Stross

Recently added bydcunning11235, xantheselkie, vda, Sarah_Buckley, private library, WetChimp
    Declare by Tim Powers (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: There is a shared delight in mixing Cold War paranoia and the mystical/fantastic in these two novels.

English (35)  French (2)  All languages (37)

The book took its sweet time to grab my attention properly. No idea why.

Only after reading it (or, to be honest, somewhere in the last third) did I realize how insane and crazy good The Fuller Memorandum is. It is essentially a report on the Fuller Memorandum situation (an understatement).
As usual, Bob has to read a lot of old reports on whatever is relevant at the moment. The thing is, there is no actual case this time, so it takes time to move forward. More than half of the book Bob stumbles around wondering where Angleton has gone, why he is missing, where the certain document is and a lot of other things.
Most of it is told in the first person (Bob's), while the rest is told in third following mostly following Mo.

There are twists and turns here and I can't exactly write about the things I loved the most because all of them are spoilers. Let's just say, Angleton is awesome. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
funny and fast, a little confusing as ever but love the bureaucratic parts of The Laundry (probably more than the monster part) ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Not his usual unfathomable technobabble but still a fair amount of babel. The "magic is tech" concept is not very convincing and the story is just not all that interesting. Barely made the 80 page test. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
A bit slow moving to start and then it ramped way up.

Things are not looking entirely encouraging for the future. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
The third in the Laundry series by Stross, but only the second I have read. From what I can see, it isn't critical that you read them in order - but some things in this book will make more sense if you have read the Atrocity Archives first.

The Laundry is Stross's imagined cross between an intelligence agency and police force whose task is to deal with magical and demonic entities. Magic, it appears, is really a consequence of advanced maths and computation and so the books are full of computing humour as well as spy spoof and Lovecraftian detail.

I'm ambivalent about this book, and it definitely doesn't rate with Stross's best work for me. There's lots of good ideas, and a plot that never stops moving, but at times I felt I was being shouted at. The voice of Bob becomes tiring after a while and the book needs considerable editing. Characters and situations are introduced and explained more than once, as if the book was originally written as a sequence of instalments that each needed to work as a standalone story. This sort of thing should get picked up and eliminated when it is all brought together, and it does get annoying at times.

If you liked the Laundry, you'll love this. If not but you want to try, start with the Atrocity Archives, not this one. If you haven't read anything by Stross, I would start with something like Singularity Sky. ( )
  kevinashley | Aug 19, 2014 |
The Fuller Memorandum is not a perfect book, but there are more things I like than dislike about it. It’s definitely not a sequel that skulks in the shadows of its predecessors, trying to repeat what was done before; it’s braver, and branches out into more unfamiliar territory. And fails a little bit, but manages to get pounding on shore in the end.

Stross, Charlesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frederickson, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of
Charles N. Brown and John M. Ford.
We miss you both.
There can be only One True Religion.

While recovering a missing top secret dossier that his boss is accused of stealing, British super spy Bob Howard must safely navigate Russian agents, ancient demons, and an undead entity called the Eater of Souls.

61 wanted3 pay1 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,837,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible