Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, Book 3) by…

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, Book 3) (edition 2009)

by Ilona Andrews

Member:chiabob
Title:Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, Book 3)
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages

Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews

English (101)  German (1)  All languages (102)
Still love it. I'll try to come up with a couple of points not already covered in a lot of other reviews.

By this point in a series, it can start to get tedious how much recap must be done for those who haven't read the previous books. (I think struggling to catch up should be what you get for jumping in midstream, but clearly publishers do not agree.) Working in those background bits in a logical way is tough, but it's handled pretty well here, threading the old in with the new.

I love how awkward the romantic/sexy bits are. Realistic! The only thing missing was how you inevitably knock your heads or teeth together the first time you make out. If there's ever a scene in bed later in the series, I'm hoping for an "ow, you're on my hair" moment. ( )
  jjLitke | Sep 21, 2018 |
I. Love. This. Series. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
I am truly enjoying this series. It has a lot of violence and bloodshed, perhaps more than I typically like but the plots are really good, the world-building is excellent and the characters keep becoming more complex. This book moved the overall series plot forward and introduced some new characters that will continue to appear in the books. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jun 22, 2018 |
4.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Magic Strikes is the third book in the alternating waves of magic and technology alternate Earth where Kate Daniels lives. It starts out with Kate having a long and bloody day (her clothes are stained with four different kinds). She's dispatched to the scene of a murder, only to be told it's Pack business. Then another Pack member is in trouble and Kate has to agree to observe a new team at the Midnight Games to solve the problem without creating a political stink.

If the idea of sentient beings fighting each other to the death for audience amusement sickens you (yes!), you'll understand why Kate doesn't become a fan. The new team is more than it seems. Kate finds herself having to participate in order to thwart a plot tied to the mysterious Roland, head of the People (the name for this Earth's necromancers who navigate the mindless and distinctly non-sexy vampires here.) Friends' lives are at stake and Kate doesn't have any friends to spare.

NOTES: Non-spoiler clues to help readers of this and later books find scenes and mentions of real-life persons, places, things, and fictional characters, etc.

Chapter 1:

a. This is the scene where Kate deals with a banshee.

b. It's been two months since the magical flare and its effects detailed in book two, Magic Burns.

c. Jim is 6' 2", built like a prize fighter, and has skin the color of bitter chocolate. Turns out he's alpha of the cat clan as well as Pack Chief of Security.

Mentions: 'Terminator 2', Rock of Gibraltar,

Chapter 2:

a. See chapter 13 of book two for the last time Kate and Saiman met.

b. Only Alaska's Ice Fury rivals Atlanta's Pack for sheer numbers.

c. The Red Point Slayer battle was the climax of book one, Magic Bites.

d. Look here for a brief statement of Newman's theory of reciprocal magic..

e. The Midnight Games are brought up.

f. Saiman has the only two of beautiful Riedel hand-cut glasses. He makes a point.

g. See 'A Questionable Client' in Dark and Stormy Knights, edited by P. N. Elrod, for Kate's bodyguard gig with Saiman.

h. Curran was reading one of Kate's books in the epilogue of book two.

Chapter 3:

a. Andrea and Kate always have lunch together on Fridays.

b. The saving of Julie took place in book two.

c. Andrea tells Kate what one of her mentors told her the Midnight Games were like before they were outlawed.

d. Raphael and Andrea met in chapter 18 of book two. Andrea defines what she means by TWT-IHFB.

e. Raphael asks Kate's advice on winning Andrea.

f. Andrea loves the books of Lorna Sterling.

g. Raphael's Aunt Minny was a member of Andorf's Seven, the last team with Atlanta shape-shifters in it before Curran forbade their participation.

Mentions: seven wise men of Greece, seven wonders of the world, and seven-league boots

Chapter 4:

a. The Necro Lords team Aunt Minny fought against are named. We learn what Andorf did to them and how Francois Ambler, alpha of the wolves at that time, handled the mess. In less than a week, Curran was Beast Lord. Forbidding participation in the games was his first law.

b. Kate explains what she means by a Can-I girl. (Curran is correct, that should be May-I girl).

Mention: the Sign of the Beast

Chapter 5: The order has a 16-hour shift limit when the magic is down.

Chapter 6:

a. Atlanta's University of Arcane Arts (400 mages!) is in what used to be City Hall East

b. Wolfsbane paste is very effective at foiling werewolf noses, but mixing ground dried wolfsbane stems with borax, baking soda, or dry detergent will work.

c. The Pack has 32 species in 7 tribes.

Mention: Sears

Chapter 7:

a. Kate gets a package from Saiman.

b. Emma Peel and John Steed were best paring in the 1961-1969 British TV show, 'The Avengers'. (The Marvel comic debuted in 1963.)

c. Thomas Durand is one of Saiman's aliases.

d. Kate explains why putting sharp-bladed objects in one's hair is foolish.

e. We learn about the Red Guards. Saiman is started by how much Kate has figured out about their boss, Rene, from their brief meeting.

f. The Arena is described. The Reapers team is mentioned.

Mentions: Emma Peel, John Steed, the Cooler (Alpharetta is a suburb of Atlanta), and the Roman Coliseum.

Chapter 8:

a. Cesare, Mart (an Asaan), and Livie of the Reapers are introduced.

b. Kate also remembered her past fight with the Impala worm in chapter two of book one.

Chapter 9:

a. We learn about the E-50, the Military Supernatural Defense Unit's weapon of choice for dealing with a loose vampire.

b. All shape-shifters entering Pack territory have three days to ask their permission to visit said territory.

c. Kate remembers an arena she fought in when her father was still alive.

d. Winners leave by the Pit's gold gate, corpses through the midnight one.

e. Kate and Saiman have an interesting discussion about killing.

Chapter 10: look here for a Minotaur.

Chapter 11:

a. Kate remembers some more about her fight on the sand. It contained several firsts for her.

b. There's a fight in the parking lot, followed by another elsewhere.

Chapter 12:

a. Jim .is James Damael Shrapshire.

b. Shape-shifters attacking in warrior form fall under Georgia Code. Kate brings up O.C.G.A. Section 16-5-21 (c).

c. The Pack has a were-dingo. (Kate's snark about him not stealing her baby refers to the 9-week-old Azaria Chamberlain, eaten by a dingo in 1980.)

d. Kate finds out what happened to Derek at the Red Roof Inn.

Chapter 13: We get Derek's backstory. Apparently his father's name was Seth Hayes and they lived on Caney Fork Road.

Mentions: Appalachians, Tennessee, North Carolina, Jackson County, Miss Marple

Chapter 14:

a. Saiman brings up an incident involving a man named David Stiles from Jim's past.

b. The current tournament prize is a large yellow topaz called the Wolf Diamond. It must be given, not stolen.

Chapter 15: This is the chapter where Curran phones and asks Kate if Jim is with her. Her reply cracked me up.

b. Curran tried to strangle Kate in chapter of book

c. More people flunk out of the Order's Academy over oath breaking than any other test of will. Neither Kate nor Andrea did.

d. Andrea explains Curran's behavior to Kate.

e. This is where Kate called Curran from Glenda's fried chicken place.

Mention: The Princess Bride (the novel)

Chapter 16:

a. Kate says something that makes tea come out of Brenna's nose.

b. Kate's observation after her response to Rene's question about Jim makes me glad I'm not drinking tea.

c. Kate compares the Arena to the ones her father took her to. Jim talks about his father. She talks some more about hers.

d. We see Saiman in his birth form.

Mentions: Chatty Cathys, Oklahoma, Guatemala, Aesir, Vikings,and Loki

Chapter 17: Kate watches another fight in the Pit.

Chapter 18: Kate and Jim see a sight unusual even for Unicorn Lane.

Mentions: Dravidian temples, India

Chapter 19: Kate and Jim go exploring. They find an interesting, but unfinished, mural.

Chapter 20:

a. Kate thinks about her stepfather, Voron, Roland, and her mother.

b. Dali, the Indonesian were-tiger (white tiger), is introduced. She explains about rakshasas.

Mentions: Vishnu, Narayana, Brahma, yakshasas, Ravana, Pushpaka Vimana, Shiva, Rudra, Rama, Brihaspati, Jupiter (the planet), and Rudra Mani

Chapter 21:

a. Kate gets a call from empath Citlalli, Julie's school counselor.

b. The conversation where Curran told Kate she would sleep with him and what she would say happened in chapter 20 of book two.

c. The origin for 'plug nickles' here differs from the real world's.

d. Kate and Raphael prepare to pick Julie up from her school.

e. What to avoid when using a ley line for transportation is explained.

f. We learn the title of Lorna Sterling's fourth novel.

g. Raphael's costume kink is Catholic school girl.

h. Raphael explains about alpha male courtship methods. We learn what Robert, the rat alpha, did when he was courting Thomas as well as what Daniel the wolf alpha did when he was courting Jennifer and what Raphael's father did when he was courting Aunt B.

Chapter 22:

a. Kate and Raphael show up during the schoolkids' archery practice.

b. Julie is 13 years old.

Mentions: the four horsemen of the Apocalypse

Chapter 23:

a. Kare met Curran in chapter 3 of book one. She met Derek in chapter 4 of that book.

b. The wooden jars in Jim's safe house do not contain what their labels proclaim.

c. Kate thinks about the Sultan of Death.

Mentions: La-Z-Boy, Samos electrum, and North Aegean Sea

Chapter 24:

a. Derek is different.

b. Kate thinks about how her mother and stepfather died. She found out Greg was dead in chapter 1 of book one. Bran died in chapter 25 of book two.

c. Livie is short for 'Olivia'. Derek tells her backstory and the final rite she has to do.

d. The role names for the members of this next Midnight Games team are given.

e. The name for the team Kate will be on is chosen.

f. Kate finds a use for the loup cage.

Chapter 25:

a. Hugh d'Ambray is introduced.

b. Kate met Nick in book one.

c. Doolittle is a were-badger.

d. Hoyo de Sangre [Spanish for hole or pit of blood] was Kate's first arena. She meets an older man who saw her fight 12 years ago. Mon Dieu, je me souviens de toi. Petite Tueuse... [French for My God, I remember you. Little Slayer.]

e. Curran killed a god in chapter 25 of book two.

f. Dali is 28.

g. Andrea overheard Curran's chewings out of the Pack members. He used one word about Kate that has her very worried.

Chapter 26:

a. Two Reapers are fighting a four-member team.

b. Kate's team is broken into two teams, one with four members and one with three. She's not happy about one of Jim's choices for her three-person team.

c. Dali can do shodo magic.

d. Kate's team faces a swordsman, a were-bison, and a lamia.

e. Kate plays poker with her team.

f. The four-member team faces the Killers. They have an oni, a Fu Lion, an archer, and a mage.

g, Raphael gives Curran a fan.

h. Kate refers to Derek as boy wonder here (a nickname she came up with in chapter 5 of book one.

i. Raphael saw Andrea in her natural form in chapter 19 of book two.

j. The Reapers send Derek a gift.

Mention: gladiators

Chapter 27:

a. Jim and Andrea compliment Kate's sausage-making ability.

b. Kate's team fights the Rouge Rogues. Their leader, Cyclone, is the Frenchman who remembers Kate from when she fought in Peru. His team includes a golem, a troll, and a very old vampire.

c. Kate met Olathe in chapter 6 of book one.

d. A lady wererat who liked Curran's father taught him how to extrude silver. She's dead.

Chapter 28:

a. Kate, Curran, hot tub, discussing Jim

b. The Reapers send Derek another gift.

Mention: Corona beer

Chapter 29:

a. Kate witnesses an interaction between Hugh and Mart.

b. Hugh was 10 when Voron started training him. Kate asks him why he serves Roland, one of whose personal weapons is a sword called Scourge. Another is a sword called The Scarlet Star.

c. Kate uses Voron's favorite rebuke.

d. Kate tells something about Roland to the readers.

e. Kate thinks of the People's Casino.

Mentions: a vimana, zaraza

Epilogue:

a. Kate explains to Derek something Julie said to him.

b. Andrea was very close to getting her Master at Arms, Firearm. Ted is the reason she's not a ranked knight.

c. Saiman sent, Kate white roses and an explanation.

d. Raphael has been a busy boy.

e. Kate gets a menu.

.Magic Strikes gives us an uncomplimentary glimpse of one of the entertainments of Atlanta's filthy rich. We also get a heating up of two romances: Kate and the Beast Lord and Andrea and Raphael. Dali the nearsighted were-tigress and the villainous Hugh d'Ambray are introduced. There are several character revelations. We learn more about Kate herself.

Aside from the concept of the Midnight Games, I enjoyed this entry very much! ( )
  JalenV | Jun 10, 2018 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, AndrewAuthor's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, IlonaCo-author's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
DeFex, Annette FioreCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Chad MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anastasia and Helen
Some days my job was harder than others
I have a superior reaction time. That was why although I shot out of my chair, jumped onto my desk, and attempted to stab the intruder into my office in the throat, I stopped the blade two inches before it touched Andrea's neck. Because she was my best friend, and sticking knives into your best friend's windpipe was generally considered to be a social faux pas. (chapter 3)
I gave him [Saiman] a smile. I was aiming for sweet, but he turned a shade paler and scooted a bit further from me. Note to self: work more on sweet and less on psycho-killer. (chapter 14)
[Kate continues to describe the outfit she's wearing to pick up Julie at her school]

The cloak coupled with a black leather vest made me look suitably menacing. All that was missing was a giant neon sign with rotating sparklers proclaiming HARD CASE. LINE TO GET YOUR ASS KICKED FORMS TO THE RIGHT. (chapter 21)

Atlanta would be a nice place to live if it weren’t for the magic. When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose.

Kate Daniels works for the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid, officially, as a liaison with the mercenary guild. Unofficially, she cleans up the paranormal problems no one else wants to handle – especially if they involve Atlanta’s shapeshifting community.

When she’s called in to investigate a fight at the Steel Horse, a bar on the border between the territories of the shapeshifters and the necromancers, Kate quickly discovers there’s a new player in town. One who’s been around for thousands of years – and rode to war at the side of Kate’s father.

This foe may be too much even for Kate and Curran, the Beast Lord, to handle. Because this time Kate will be taking on family…
Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that's saying a lot. But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the Midnight Games---an invitation-only, no-holds-barred, ultimate preternatural fighting tournament---she and Curran, the Beast Lord, uncover a dark plot that may forever alter the face of Atlanta's shapeshifting community.

Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, Atlanta mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with. But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered near death, she must confront her greatest challenge yet.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,626,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible