Glengarry Glen Ross: A Play by David Mamet

Glengarry Glen Ross: A Play (original 1984; edition 1994)

by David Mamet

Member:pajarita
Title:Glengarry Glen Ross: A Play
Authors:David Mamet
Info:Grove Press (1994), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 108 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read but unowned

Glengarry Glen Ross [play] by David Mamet (1984)

Mamet is one of my favorite playwrights, I'm excited to work through more of his catalog. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |
Unreadable, and I mean that as a compliment. This is absolutely a playscript; it comes alive on the stage. On the page it is unreadable.

Read it *after* you see a production. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 1, 2013 |
They turned this play into a movie some years back, and the cast usually referred to it as "Death of a F****** Salesman." A good pairing could be made between this and Miller's play, if it weren't for the fact that teaching this play in high school would probably raise some eyebrows. If Mamet is famous for one thing, it's his ability to put spoken language on a page. Reading one of his plays out loud is quite possibly a one of a kind experience, as even the best playwrights don't seem to have the ear that he does when it comes to the way people actually talk. His characters say in five words what many characters could only say in five lines.
  reedchr3 | Sep 29, 2010 |
Glengarry Glen Ross is a play by David Mamet that has won accolades across the board, been featured in the National Theatre of London, been on Broadway, and made into a movie (starring Al Pacino, Alec Baldwin, Jack Lemmon, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey - I mean holy heavens Batman that is some serious casting).

The action takes place over two days in two settings: a Chinese restaurant and a real estate office. The characters are real estate agents from Chicago trying to sell swampland in Florida to unwilling buyers, and they will lie, cheat, bribe, and in general be insufferable to do so. Their immorality doesn't stop with schmoozing average joes; they are also ridiculous to each other and willing to do just about anything, including steal, to make a buck. In other words, they are terrible people.

I am entirely unsure how I feel about this play. I picked it up from the library on a whim. I was just walking around finding where things were (my first time in this particular library) and the title jumped out at me, being as it was familiar. I brought it home and read it during a blackout. I just love it when we lose electricity; that is some serious guilt free reading time in my opinion.

I think my main problem with the play was the language. No one finished their freaking sentences. Like ever. I can see swindly egocentric men getting a bit phrase-ish when they get excited, but trying to read a play where every single character has difficulty forming a complete thought is taxing. I wonder if the film version is better; there's no way they made the movie true to the play as far as dialogue and action. Otherwise the movie would be extremely short and dull; after all, the entire play is conversations. With that cast of actors, it shouldn't be too difficult a movie to watch.

As for what I did like about the play, first and foremost, it was interesting to watch listen to read about such horrible people. They were such over the top stereotypes of swindlers and listening to them complain and scheme was a bit entertaining. Overall, I can't give a solid recommendation. I'm glad I read it, but I definitely won't be reading it again. ( )
  EclecticEccentric | May 31, 2010 |
Desperate real estate sales men go to any length to make a sale and earn a buck. I feel almost like this could have been a prequel to "Death of a Salesman." The dialogue is sharp and funny. It's a quick read, which I'm sure would be enhanced by seeing the film or seeing it on stage. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jan 27, 2010 |
This play is dedicated to

Harold Pinter

Winner of the 1984 Pulitzer Prize, David Mamet’s scalding comedy is about small-time, cutthroat real estate salesmen trying to grind out a living by pushing plots of land on reluctant buyers in a never-ending scramble for their fair share of the American dream. Here is Mamet at his very best, writing with brutal power about the tough life of tough characters who cajole, connive, wheedle, and wheel and deal for a piece of the action—where closing a sale can mean a brand new Cadillac but losing one can mean losing it all. This masterpiece of American drama is now a major motion picture starring Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alan Arkin, Alec Baldwin, Jonathan Pryce, Ed Harris, and Kevin Spacey.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:53 -0400)

A story for everyone who works for a living. An examination of the machinations behind the scenes at a real estate office.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,326,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible