Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

I Corinthians (Anchor Bible) by William F.…

I Corinthians (Anchor Bible) (1976)

by William F. Orr, James Arthur Walther

204None84,329 (3.5)None

No reviews

William F. Orrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Walther, James Arthurmain authorall editionsconfirmed
PREFACE
This commentary began with a compendium of comments on First Corinthians prepared by Professor Orr for his classes on "the practical use of the New Testament."
PAUL'S PRE-CHRISTIAN LIFE
Nowhere in the Epistles does Paul refer to his birthplace, nor surprisingly, to the fact that he was a Roman citizen.
INTRODUCTORY
(1:1-9)
GREETINGS (1:1-3)
1 1 I, Paul, called as an apostle of Christ Jesus by God's will, along with brother Sosthenes, 2 to the church of God located in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called a saints, together with all in every place who appeal to the name of our Lord Jesus Christ -- both their Lord and ours: 3 grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
This work page contains the older Anchor Bible commentary on 1st Corinthians. Please do not combine with the commentary by Fitzmyer.

I Corinthians is Volume 32 in  the Anchor Bible series of new book-by-book  translations of the Old and New Testaments and  Apocrypha. William S. Orr and James Arthur Walther are,  respectively, Professor Emeritus and Associate  Professor of New Testament at the Pittsburgh  Theological Seminary.

St. Paul's I  Corinthians stands as one of the Bible's  greatest masterpieces and certainly one of the  greatest contributions to Christian theology. The  epistle "To the Church which is in Corinth..."  addresses itself to the basic tenets of Christian  faith as well as down-to-earth matters of moral  conduct and standards of Christian living, including  such topics as speaking in tongues, the  Resurrection, the Lord's Supper, and the problems of  marriage. This letter also includes Paul's memorable  definition of Christian love.

The  man who laid the foundations of Christian theology  remains important not only for what he taught, but  for who he was.

Professors Orr  and Walther ask--and answer--"What Kind of Man  Was Paul?" in their own extended  introductory biography of the man: a look at his life, his  ministry, and his beliefs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,426,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible