Summer of the Red Wolf by Morris L. West

Summer of the Red Wolf (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Morris L. West

Member:JannyWurts
Title:Summer of the Red Wolf
Authors:Morris L. West
Info:WILLIAM MORROW (1971), Hardcover

Summer of the Red Wolf by Morris West (1971)

English (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (3)
A writer, accustomed to writing about the troubled spots of the world and living in the hustle and bustle of the cities, decides to take time off in order to recharge his spirit and find a certain peace of mind. He travels to the Western Outer Isles of Scotland, known as the Outer Hebrides, and settles in and around the islands of Lewis and Harris. His arrival to the area and his friendships with two young men, as well as his love for one young woman, Kathleen, provide the spark that ignites a drama of madness and terror that forever changes all their lives.

I really enjoyed this book, the first of Morris L. West's works that I've ever actually read although I may have some of his other books on my bookshelves downstairs. They are so well-hidden that I haven't actually investigated very well. I give this book an A+! and look forward to finding out whether I actually do have any more of Morris L. West's books around. He is an Australian author whose earlier life sort of mirrors my late husband's - as my husband spent roughly five years studying to become a priest, but left before he took his final vows. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Jul 2, 2012 |
Not my normal read. The small cast of characters is set in the modern isles of Scotland. It's about a few people interacting, especially two very tough men, both pretty worn by life. It's a relationship story that would never be my first pick for reading - HOWEVER - I really liked it.The story itself didn't grab me, at first. I'm not into how other guys think or pissing contests between them, but this story went far beyond that. There was a lot of mystery in the characters. We never fully know the story of any of the small cast & the mystery helps underscore the main strength of the book & that is the description.I HATE long descriptions, as a general rule. West writes descriptions like a bard. They're interesting & give such a depth to the most mundane objects & actions that they could become an end to themselves. They don't, thankfully. No, they just underscore a story that became more & more interesting until on a beautiful day, I was stuck reading the last of this novel. (Curse you, Janny! I had too many other things to do!) I couldn't put it down. I had to find out how it ended.There is a bump at the beginning of the novel. He says something about the girls being 'as buxom as a clover fed heifer'. I've never heard that phrase, but a heifer is a virgin cow, so it just doesn't work for me. I thought if I read many such gaffs, I'd have to put the book down. I never did, though. Instead, he reeled me. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |

This is a story of a man struggling with the complexities and torments of everyday life who travels to Scotland to fight his inner demons and discovers love, honor and himself along the way. The novel brilliantly captures the feelings of restlessness so common in these modern times.… (more)

8 avail.1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,803,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible