Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown

Tassajara Bread Book (original 1970; edition 1974)

by Edward Espe Brown

Member:charlottem
Title:Tassajara Bread Book
Authors:Edward Espe Brown
Info:Shambhala (1974), Paperback, 145 Pages
Tags:Cookbooks and Food

Tassajara Bread Book by Edward Espe Brown (1970)

(4) American (2) baking (103) bread (114) bread baking (3) breadmaking (5) Brot (3) Buddhism (7) buddhist (3) cookbook (169) cookery (23) cooking (97) favorite (2) food (48) food and drink (3) inscribed (2) kitchen (4) muffins (3) non-fiction (27) own (2) paperback (5) philosophy (2) recipes (24) reference (2) Tassajara (4) to-read (3) USA (2) vegetarian (10) whole grains (3) zen (9)
    The guide to self-sufficiency by John Seymour (jadler)
    jadler: For those of us who appreciate good quality, who want to do thing the good old-fashioned way and let it take its time, and not just getting things done quickly without considering the result.

I used this book to teach so many friends how to bake bread. Love it. ( )
  jarvenpa | Mar 31, 2013 |
I received this book and a bread bowl for a wedding present. I have made bread from the basic sponge recipe and variations...We have enjoyed cinnamon rolls @ Christmas for the past 34 years so it is now a family tradition. The basic recipe can be made using ANY flour so I am experimenting on ways to make the sponge gluten free. When money was tight I could always make a loaf from scratch (flour was cheep). The process of kneeding the sponge is very relaxing. Enjoy! ( )
1 vote Dene2 | Sep 15, 2010 |
Got a rather worn copy come in the other day so has been used for its purpose - brilliantly 1970s feel to it, but recipes look good so will be using it in my kitchen ( )
  Skyehighmileage | Sep 11, 2009 |
Magnificent, beautiful, wholesome book. Unless you have gluten issues. ( )
  Muzzorola | Aug 22, 2009 |
Back before I started college I worked as all day babysitter for a family one summer. The mother made their bread, and told me this was the best book to learn from. I'm not sure I ever made anything except basic bread from it, but it does have very good directions for that first loaf of bread, and encourages experimentation.

And now I find myself telling my son that this is the book he needs to learn how to bake bread.
1 vote MarthaJeanne | Sep 17, 2008 |
"We need more cooks,
not more cookbooks."

Charles V. W. Brooks

Bread makes itself, by your kindness, with your help, with imagination running through you, with dough under hand, you are breadmaking itself, which is why breadmaking is so fulfilling and rewarding.

A recipe doesn't belong to anyone. Given to me, I give it to you. Only a guide, only a skeletal framework. You must fill in the flesh according to your nature and desire. Your life, your love will bring these words into full creation. This cannot be taught. You already know. So please cook, love, feel, create.
DEDICATED
with respect and appreciation
to all my teachers
past, present, and future:
gods, men, and demons;
beings, animate and inanimate
living and dead, alive and dying.

Rock and Water
Wind and Tree
Bread Dough Rising

Vastly all
Are patient with me.
Mix some flour with enough water to form a dough, a touch of salt perhaps; shape it, bake it, the result is bread in its simplest, most fundamental form:

coarse, crusty
with rich true-spirited flavor
that one soon learns to love and crave.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 157062089X, Paperback)

Good bread needs more than just flour and water, milk, or eggs. It requires nurturing and care.

In this twenty-fifth anniversary edition of the international best-seller that started a generation of Americans baking, Ed Brown shows how to make—and enjoy—breads, pastries, muffins, and desserts for today's sophisticated palates. And in a new afterword, he reflects on the widespread influence of the book and offers five new recipes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:22 -0400)

Gathers recipes for yeasted and unyeasted breads, pastries, sourdough breads, pancakes, scones, bagels, biscuits, muffins, flavored butters, cookies, cakes, and tarts

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible