The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

The Last Olympian

by Rick Riordan

8,023260400 (4.38)1 / 240

English (252)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (255)
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

After the fourth book, which left me a little bit less satisfied than the other novels, I took some time of reading the series. While not completely forgotten, I didn't think a lot of the series and since were library books, it took another three years for me to finally start reading The Last Olympian. And I'm really glad I did read it.

It took me a day. That says enough. I switched to the English books for this one, and although I nowadays prefer reading English I got the impression that the Dutch translation was quite good this time, as I had no trouble to adjust to the English writing, and it all had the same feelings surrounding the writing. The humour also stayed the same, as far as I remember.

It took me a little time get back into the story. Obviously, after three years, not every detail was completely fresh in my memory (the 500 books I read in that time probably didn't help either), but this wasn't a problem as it all came back really fast after I started reading. I immediately remembered the mythology that made me really like the series to begin with. In this volume I appreciated the inclusion of the so-called minor Gods, like for example Morpheus (after which morphine is called). I've always had a soft spot for them and never understood why they didn't deserve a bigger place. I can't blame them for not stepping up to save the Olympians.

This is the endgame the last books have been building up to. Is the ending a surprise? Not really. Does this matter? Not really.

I'd recommend the whole series. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
At last I finished the Percy Jackson series and happy about it. This book was better than the middle books in the series and i liked it where at last Percy is 16 and falls in love without confusion (Thanks to Oracle) :P ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
I was so tired last night, but could not make myself go to bed until I finished this book! It was SO good! I loved how everything came around to full closure. We get to see what Rachel means to the story, we get to see an improvement with Percy's relationship with his dad, we get to see Clarisse do something really good, and we get answers about Luke. To be honest, I'm sad that it's over, however the loose ends are all tied up and you're left with a definite feeling of completeness. Now I can watch the movie, though I know it will not do justice to Mr. Riordan's story. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Reading about Percy Jackson's adventures is always a mixture of amusement and wondering what will happen next to him and those he cares for. This book didn't disappoint and was action packed within a few pages. There was excitement from beginning to end that had my attention and was hard to put down.

From the time Percy was about twelve years old, he's been preparing for a Prophesy that involves one of the Demigods having to make a choice on their sixteenth birthday that will either save or destroy the world. Percy is so sure that it's him and with his birthday less than a week away, he's nervous as to what choice he may have to make, how to defeat Kronos, his conflicted feelings between to girls and learning enough to get a driver's license.

When Blackjack lands on the roof of his stepdad's Prius while he is on a drive with Miss Dare, he knows that his time for trying to be a regular teenager has come to an end. Everyone at Camp Half Blood is preparing for war hitting New York City how to stop Kronos, Typhon, and the rest of the Titans from taking over Mount Olympus.

Percy soon learns the full Prophesy meant for him which leaves a lot of questions and fears that may result in him dying. He doesn't let that fear stop him though and realizes that he'll need the help of his friends in order to attempt to stop Kronos before the world becomes ruled once again by the Titans.

With the Gods away fighting the Titans, it's up to Percy, his friends, family and powers to attempt to keep the Titans from taking over New York City. Things are not what they seem, dreams are more than just in the mind and soon Percy will come to find out that Prophesies have a double meaning. And just when things start to make sense for this son of Poseidon, Percy will come to realize that the weapons he needed to help fight the Titans were right in front of him all the time.

This was one of my favorite books in the series despite knowing that this is the last one. I found myself laughing out loud quite a bit particularly from Percy's point of view. He may be a Demigod but he's also a teenage boy who's trying to help save the world while also coming to terms with a world he's only known about since the age of twelve and powers that are slowly growing. It was interesting to see him conflicted about his feelings though eventually he realizes that the girl he is most interested in wasn't who he initially expected to be with.

I loved reading about Poseidon's world and getting a glimpse into the God of the Ocean's world that Percy hadn't had many chances to see. Hopefully he'll get to see more of his Dad's world some day in a future series of books and when things aren't quite so hectic.

Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
Love it! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
The action, never leisurely in any of the five books in the series, runs at a frantic pace here — monsters pop out with a rapidity that becomes almost predictable, except that they are so enjoyably hair-raising, and that Riordan has such clever ways of dispatching them.

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haefs, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mrs. Pabst, my eighth grade English teacher, who started me on my journey as a writer.
The end of the world started when a pegasus landed on the hood of my car.
"The world will fall, the gods will die, and I will never achieve a perfect score on this stupid machine." (Dionysus)
This LT work is the fifth (and last) volume in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.
All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows. While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it's up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,896,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible