The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

The Last Olympian

by Rick Riordan

Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians (5)

7,064236511 (4.39)1 / 234

English (233)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (236)
An excellent finish to the series. I am looking forward to reading both the Kane Chronicles and the next Percy Jackson series. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Actual rating: 4.5 stars, rounded up for feels

For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

I both saw this coming and I didn’t. I mean, I knew that The Last Olympian would be my favorite of this series, but I also really didn’t expect the emotional whomping. The willow totally snuck up on me is all I can say. Rarely is a book full of so much ow my feels and dawwwww all at once. So yeah, I guess I have to formally thank Debby for forcing me to give this series another chance, because she was totally right.

The Last Olympian starts, literally, with a bang. Up to now, the Percy Jackson novels have had to build up to the drama and danger, but this time it starts there and doesn’t let go. The pace of this one manages to be even faster than that of the previous novels, which weren’t slow reads themselves. The Last Olympian is the darkest of the series by far, but manages to maintain a mood that works for middle grade readers. Riordan keeps that trademark humor flowing, though it does smack a bit more of the gallows this go round. Personally, I’m a big fan of books that can make me laugh even at the darkest times and I think it makes the moments when nothing is funny pack that much more of an emotional punch.

I wouldn’t say no one is safe in a Rick Riordan novel. It’s not quite Game of Thrones in terms of death and destruction. However, I would definitely say that not everyone is safe. Of course, this is already well-documented, but it gets more emotionally painful this time. I really didn’t see it coming, but this book almost made me cry TWICE. Once from the sads and once from the happies and holy hell what are feelings ouch. Considering that it’s middle grade, The Last Olympian is considerably dark and I consider myself satisfied with the end results.

The characters really shine in this one. The world building is still masterful, but wasn’t really being developed at the pace of the previous novels (since hello that’s sort of done now and there’s a war going on), so I really had time to focus in on the characters. Obviously I loved a bunch of them already, but some that I didn’t know I cared for suddenly meant so much to me. How did Riordan do this to me? The rather massive cast is so well-developed. Each of the gods have their own personality as do the children. You can even see the influences of the godly parents on the kids, while also seeing the way they are completely their own beings, which is basically the whole point of the series.

The ultimate messages of the series are so powerful and touching. In a lot of ways, Percy is not the hero. He’s not the smartest or the most powerful. I don’t even know if he’s the bravest. I sort of think he’s actually just the biggest, most optimistic idiot. I suspect Percy’s tragic flaw is that he would do anything to protect others, but I think it’s his greatest strength too. Percy has so much compassion, more even than he realizes. At this point, I want to talk about some specific spoilery things I love, so into the spoiler tags, I go.

Some things that I love about the way this book ended:

1) Percy is not the hero of prophecy, which YAY. There have been too many prophetic heroes, and I love the way that fiction is constantly overturning this trope now.

2) As a side note, I ADORE the fact that pretty much every character of note got a chance to shine. It’s not the Percy Jackson show. He has his moments, more than most even, but also we’re in his head so he can’t see everything.

3) I love that the gods are changing and learning.

4) Not only that, but the biggest help that Percy and Nico were to the war effort was, ultimately, in convincing their parents to focus on what truly matters.

5) The fact that Percy’s wishes are so non-selfish: he wants every kids to be recognized and all the minor gods to get the respect due to them. AND NICO GETS A CABIN.

6) I’m glad that even Luke was still redeemable, even if I am glad that he died. Best of luck in the next life, though, kid.

7) Though I’m sad about the life Rachel has chosen, I’m glad that she chose it and didn’t go that route because she was sad about the way her romance was going. Also, I love that she’ll still be around.

8) Finally, I think it’s hilarious how much Demeter wants everyone to eat cereal.

My sole lingering grumble is the summer thing. Like, okay, Camp Halfblood operates in the summer ideally, but there was a war on. I find it really hard to believe that Kronos would wait for the campers to finish out their school years to make his big attack. Let’s wait until the enemy is in place before attacking; everyone knows Kronos likes fights to be as fair as possible. Yeah, right. Plus, Kronos’ forces are stronger at night, which there is less of in the summer. I feel like the story’s a bit too strongly tied to its summer schedule for its own good in this case, but everything else is right on target.

Oh right, did I forget something? The romance. I will climb on board that ship with everyone else. *throws champagne bottle at the good ship Percabeth* I still love Rachel and that totally could have been okay with me too, but obviously this was going to be the ship and it’s all for the best. I do find it impressive that Riordan manages to sell Annabeth being more charmed by Percy than annoyed by his more than occasional slowness. She appreciates him for who he is, and he her, which is a good ship when you come right down to it. Poseidon grant them calm seas.

My heart was dashed on the rocks and lifted up on the waves. Strange things happen when you put the son of Poseidon in charge. I’m going to be reading the next series soon, after a brief break, and I am so excited. Leave spoilers for that series and you will be sent directly to Tartarus. ( )
1 vote A_Reader_of_Fictions | Nov 13, 2014 |
(3.5)
  mshampson | Nov 13, 2014 |
SPOILERS!!! This was a fantastic book. I love it! Percy is slowly falling for Annabeth. We also see Percy as a leader, which was cool. Percy also developed a friendship with Nico, which really cool. Annabeth is sad because of Luke which you can't really blame her for. She's also kid of falling for Percy.

We don't see a lot of Grover, but he's still awesome. Thalia is back! Did anyone else miss Thalia? And Tyson is so sweet! I love him. I love his relationship with Percy.

Clarisse and Chris are awesome together. I definitely ship them.

One of the things I love about this is that they pretty much destroy New York City while fighting the titans, in Avengers or the Transformers movies. It's awesome!

I also love the part at the end when Percy and Annabeth Kiss at the bottom of the lake. It was so cute!

One part I didn't like though was the part when Percy and Nico met Luke's possessed mother, that was creepy. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
Loved it! ( )
  Cailiosa | Aug 18, 2014 |
The action, never leisurely in any of the five books in the series, runs at a frantic pace here — monsters pop out with a rapidity that becomes almost predictable, except that they are so enjoyably hair-raising, and that Riordan has such clever ways of dispatching them.

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mrs. Pabst, my eighth grade English teacher, who started me on my journey as a writer.
The end of the world started when a pegasus landed on the hood of my car.
"The world will fall, the gods will die, and I will never achieve a perfect score on this stupid machine." (Dionysus)
This LT work is the fifth (and last) volume in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.
All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows. While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it's up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible