The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

The Last Olympian

by Rick Riordan

7,472239462 (4.38)1 / 239

English (236)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (239)
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

After the fourth book, which left me a little bit less satisfied than the other novels, I took some time of reading the series. While not completely forgotten, I didn't think a lot of the series and since were library books, it took another three years for me to finally start reading The Last Olympian. And I'm really glad I did read it.

It took me a day. That says enough. I switched to the English books for this one, and although I nowadays prefer reading English I got the impression that the Dutch translation was quite good this time, as I had no trouble to adjust to the English writing, and it all had the same feelings surrounding the writing. The humour also stayed the same, as far as I remember.

It took me a little time get back into the story. Obviously, after three years, not every detail was completely fresh in my memory (the 500+ books I read in that time probably didn't help either), but this wasn't a problem as it all came back really fast after I started reading. I immediately remembered the mythology that made me really like the series to begin with. In this volume I appreciated the inclusion of the so-called minor Gods, like for example Morpheus (after which morphine is called). I've always had a soft spot for them and never understood why they didn't deserve a bigger place. I can't blame them for not stepping up to save the Olympians.

This is the endgame the last books have been building up to. Is the ending a surprise? Not really. Does this matter? Not really.

I'd recommend the whole series. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 6, 2015 |
"Do you think you could survive a war against gods and monsters? In this last installment of Percy Jackson, he battles against some gods, demigods, titans, and monsters to save the world from the evil titan Lord: Kronos. The action takes place both in ancient Greek mythological times/places and in present day New York. The final confrontation between good and evil was epic. The last thing I could have imagined while reading the previous books was that it would take place at the center of New York. I thought Riordan was going to, somehow, transport the characters to some natural plateau or something. Wrong. When things get serious, all the chess pieces are surrounding NY; you feel the tension of battle as the sky above the Empire State Building goes full dark, you tremble along the buildings being destroyed.

One of my favorite part is when his mortal friend Rachel has to tell Percy something important. She says that he message she has for him said: “Perseus, you are not the hero.” After really wanting to know what she had to tell him, Percy is crushed when she tells him that he is not the hero but someone else is. Percy freaks out about this. He is overcome with emotion and is disappointed in himself, taken aback by his friend’s words. I felt the stab, really. I imagine how I would have reacted had it been me. It must be like when you are at work, thinking you're doing a fine job, and then someone you actually like comes and says it is actually not that good and that you're useless.

Regardless, it was really amazing seeing all the demigods actually helping each other, like a big weird family. In the previous books, at Camp Half-Blood, the relationship between each ""clan"" of kids was impregnated with the atmosphere of competition, but now it's all different. Each group tries to contribute with what they can, being warfare, health or counselling, aiming to defeat a real enemy.

Overall, I really like how Riordan finished Percy's journey. Differently from previous books, where, sometimes, some parts felt rushed, this one kept a steady pace all along. Everything was explained logically, leaving no doubts about any decision/event whatsoever.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
It's hard to enjoy practical jokes when your whole life feels like one.

The Last Passage
The guard dragon Peleus curled contentedly around the pine tree underneath the Golden Fleece and began to snore, blowing steam with every breath.
“You’ve been thinking about Rachel’s prophecy?” I asked Annabeth.
She frowned. “How did you know?”
“Because I know you.”
She bumped me with her shoulder. “Okay, so I have. Seven half-bloods shall answer the call. I wonder who they’ll be. We’re going to have so many new faces next summer.”
“Yep,” I agreed. “And all that stuff about the world falling in storm or fire.”
She pursed her lips. “And foes at the Doors of Death. I don’t know, Percy, but I don’t like it. I thought . . . well, maybe we’d get some peace for a change.”
“Wouldn’t be Camp Half-Blood if it was peaceful,” I said.
“I guess you’re right . . . Or maybe the prophecy won’t happen for years.”
“Could be a problem for another generation of demigods,” I agreed. “Then we can kick back and enjoy.”
She nodded, though she still seemed uneasy. I didn’t blame her, but it was hard to feel too upset on a nice day, with her next to me, knowing that I wasn’t really saying good-bye. We had lots of time.
“Race you to the road?” I said.
“You are so going to lose.” She took off down Half-Blood Hill and I sprinted after her.
For once, I didn’t look back.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
What an ending! The character of Annabeth was the best of all! ( )
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
This was the best one yet. Satisfying ending, suspenseful, absolutely perfect for kids grades 4 (avid readers) through 8. My 7th and 8th grade male students are particularly into it now, which surprised me. Anyway, I recommend the series for that age group only, but then again, adults actually obsess over Harry Potter, so who am I to say.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I haven't decided if I'm doing a full review on this. But I do want to say a few things.

I love this series. It came full circle with The Last Olympian. I really will miss Percy being the narrator. I am definitely going to be reading Riordan's other series. I already have The Red Pyramid on my iPad. Can't wait to start it.

I just love myths-- especially Ancient Greek and Roman. I really enjoyed how the older and lesser known Gods had more prominence in this book. I actually thought I had figured the ending out several times-- but was surprised. And surprised again. But I loved the ending! This was my favorite book of the series (well I liked The lightning Thief equally too). Maybe I just feel that way though because I just read it and it's so awesome.

Ok I can't say much more because I don't wanna spoil anything!

Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
The action, never leisurely in any of the five books in the series, runs at a frantic pace here — monsters pop out with a rapidity that becomes almost predictable, except that they are so enjoyably hair-raising, and that Riordan has such clever ways of dispatching them.

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mrs. Pabst, my eighth grade English teacher, who started me on my journey as a writer.
The end of the world started when a pegasus landed on the hood of my car.
"The world will fall, the gods will die, and I will never achieve a perfect score on this stupid machine." (Dionysus)
This LT work is the fifth (and last) volume in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.
All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows. While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it's up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,780,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible