The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the…

The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 5) (edition 2011)

by Rick Riordan

10,661292390 (4.35)1 / 244
Member:nathaliewargo
Title:The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 5)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

English (286)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (292)
I've had my eye on you for awhile Percy Jackson, whenever a series of books, especially in young adult, becomes a phenomenon I make a note to try and read it at some point.

And there is a lot about the Percy Jackson series to like: the adventure, the jokes, the wish-fulfillment aspect of having a secret mom or dad who was actually one of the Greek gods making you a half-blood and eligible for training at, wait for it, Camp Half-Blood. Hogwarts it ain't, but I'll get to that later.

The premise here is that the Greek gods go whereever the heart of Western Civilization is, from Greece to Rome to France to Britain, a German state at some pre-Kaiser Wilhelm period and finally to the United States. The gods are still the gods, but the way they operate has been modernized to good effect. With the gods, of course, come the monsters of legend.

Riordan gets around the hurdle of all the fun mythological monsters being already dead by having them respawn at uneven increments. Vanquish the Minotaur and he might be gone for a lifetime or two weeks, for example.

My main problem with these books was not necessarily the sanitation of Greek mythology, some of the gory bits are left in, but we're supposed to think that these half-bloods were born because the gods and goddesses loved those mortals very, very much? I'm pretty sure I could count on one hand the number of god-human couplings that weren't forced, terrible things that left the mortal cursed or dead or a tree. Occasionally, like Ganymede, you could look forward to serving your rapist and kidnapper his food for eternity.

But I'm forgetting that these books are for the children. Which leads me to my next point, Riordan doesn't trust kids to remember anything. There is a need in a series to sum up certain relevent points in each book, but I'm pretty sure a kid is going to remember that Chiron is a centaur or that Percy Jackson is, I don't know, the son of Poseidon. There are only slim reasons to compare these to Harry Potter: pre-adolescent children discover they have powers, go to place to learn about them. There's a prophecy. That's it. But, as I was leading into with the Percy Jackson, who by the way has a father who is the ancient sea god, bit is that Riordan writes a lot of guff about a prophecy and doesn't deliver, he uses almost no foreshadowing at all, bits from one book to another are dropped or added. At one point a camper is killed on a mission and Percy feels sad about it, and I suppose the reader is to but why? Before ten pages before the character bit it there were no conversations with him, he was barely a name in their dining hall.

I must, however, acknowledge that Riordan understands that kids only need to talk in terms of "awesome" or "cool" and don't need to expand their vocabulary at all. Also that math and reading are hard. I'm sure as a teacher Riordan realizes kids will just pick up appreciation for those things elsewhere. Right. Really it just comes off as patronizing. He tops it off with the notion that ambrosia and nectar, the food of the gods that tastes like your favorite flavors, always tastes like cookies or fresh baked brownies to Percy. That just sounds refreshing, mmmm liquid cookie/brownies. All the time.

There's a suspician I have, and I had this even before I noticed it was a Disney publisher who put these books out, that Riordan uses a ghost writer simply because of how phoned in a lot of the 'meat' of the books are. He also has a lot of series running concurrently now that the original Percy Jackson is finished, R.L. Stine has some competition it seems like.

But, here I am rattling on and on about how simplistic and patronizing a series of books written for 11 and 12 years olds is. I know I would have liked these books, not as much as Redwall maybe (speaking of formulaic children's writing), but that's because I genuinely feel that Riordan didn't give Camp Half-Blood enough weight to become a place in a reader's head, which is the main thing if you want wish-fulfillment.

At times he really fulfilled the promise of a modernized greek mythology, Procruste's as a mattress salesman, Medusa shilling lawn ornaments, once when he hinted at the darker aspects of Dionysus' powers...also a rare appreciation of the much-forgotten Hestia. The books have a raving fan-base, the movie did pretty well, there just wasn't any spark to these books that made my reading Percy & pals tromping from one adventure to another anything but passing time. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This was very interesting, it's mostly about a prophecy. Now at first every character in the book thinks its about Percy Jackson (son of Poseidon), but later they find out its about Annabeth (daughter of Athena) and her friendship with Luke (son of Hermes also the enemy of percy). Percy Jackson is on a another adventure with his friends Annabeth, and Thalia (daughter of Zeus), they are about to have a giant battle with Kronos ( who has taken control of luke). So Percy gathers up every demigod at camp half blood, but the ares cabin decides not to go, and stop Kronos and his army from taking Olympus. Percy's army is losing and when all hope seems lost reinforcements of Centaurs come along with ares cabin. The gods unfortunately are fighting typhon and can't help the demigods defeat Kronos.

I thought this book was very good. There was a lot of fighting and killing but Percy ended up wining. My favorite part of the book is when Percy gets the powers of Achilles and takes out Hades tiny army by himself. I rated this 5 star because there was a lot of action, killing, and its sad but none of the main characters die. I really like the part where Percy's dog Ms. O'Leary learns to travel in the shadows to go to places faster. ( )
  JeremiahH.G1 | Feb 8, 2019 |
This is my favorite book in the series and rereading it reminded me of that. I love how everything plays out, how the threads tie up. The titular character and their main theme is the best part though. It makes the entire series more than just a fun middle-grade adventure. It's a story about the meaning and importance of family, whether that be by blood or by friendship, and how it can literally change the world. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
An excellent end to a fantastic series. ( )
  magickislife | Nov 20, 2018 |
Percy Jackson (The Last Olympian)

The book starts off with Percy and Beckendorf going on a secret mission to infiltrate Lord Kronos’s haunted cruise ship where he keeps all his weapons and recruits. The mission goes bad, with Beckendorf dying heroically to destroy the ship. When Percy gets back to Camp-Half-Blood, Beckendorf's girlfriend started bawling and she didn’t talk for days. But they all knew that Kronos couldn’t be killed that easily. Nico finally got Percy to listen to him about his plan to defeat Kronos. Percy had to face his father, who tricked Nico into getting him into the underworld. After Nico saved him, Percy bathed in the River Styx to make his body invulnerable. Then he calls his fellow campers and they march into New York City ready to fight Kronos. When the fight began, Percy was having doubts because so many of his comrades were falling. But when the Party Ponies came, they began to have more hope. But, the Party Ponies got distracted and went to drink root beer. So Percy eventually found himself fighting Kronos on top of Mt. Olympus, Kronos’s ultimate goal. Since Kronos has taken one of his friends bodies to hold his soul, his friend fought him inside his body and eventually overcome his body back. He then stabbed himself of fear of Kronos taking back his body and destroying Olympus. The victory was not celebrated for there were more fallen warriors on Percy’s side than on Kronos’s side.
This book was one of the best books I have ever read. The reason is because there is a lot of action in this book. For example, Percy was fighting the war against Kronos in the entire book. Another reason why this book is good is because Percy Jackson and his friends show a lot of determination, which was held up because of their parents, the gods. Even when the chances looked grim, Percy and his comrades stood up against Kronos and eventually defeated him. Teamwork is also a major role in the book. Without the help of his army, Percy could not have taken on Kronos alone! I rate this book 5 out of 5. ( )
  PhillipO.B4 | Nov 7, 2018 |
The action, never leisurely in any of the five books in the series, runs at a frantic pace here — monsters pop out with a rapidity that becomes almost predictable, except that they are so enjoyably hair-raising, and that Riordan has such clever ways of dispatching them.

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bernstein, JesseNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haefs, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mrs. Pabst, my eighth grade English teacher, who started me on my journey as a writer.
The end of the world started when a pegasus landed on the hood of my car.
"The world will fall, the gods will die, and I will never achieve a perfect score on this stupid machine." (Dionysus)
This LT work is the fifth (and last) volume in Rick Riordan's series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Please do not combine it with any other individual title or collection of titles from the series. Thank you.
All year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows.

While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

In this momentous final book in the New York Times best-selling Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy’s sixteenth birthday unfolds. And as the battle for Western civilization rages on the streets of Manhattan, Percy faces a terrifying suspicion that he may be fighting against his own fate.

The long-awaited prophecy surrounding Percy Jackson's sixteenth birthday unfolds as he leads an army of young demigods to stop Kronos in his advance on New York City, while the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster, Typhon.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,548,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible