You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?! by Jonah…

You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!

by Jonah Winter

I liked that this biography focused on the struggles that Sandy Koufax went through in becoming a great pitcher, not just on his unstoppable greatness once he hit his stride. It humanizes him a little bit. It also makes the moment when he does emerge as a great pitcher seem that much more impressive. I liked all the statistics that were included and the mini factoids that appeared on a few pages. It's a good biography. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
  cavlibrary | Jun 3, 2012 |
Jewish baseball player, Sandy Koufax amazed fans of baseball by being an awesome left handed pitcher. He still holds the title of most strikeouts by a left handed pitcher in American baseball. Sandy only played for five years for the Los Angles Dodgers. ( )
  MelAKnee | Nov 22, 2011 |
What a great non-fiction piece! This book has gorgeous illustrations and a narrator written so realistically, you can almost hear the Brooklyn accent. Great information, but told in story format rather than one fact at a time. Perfect for baseball fans, but also students of history. ( )
  anniecase | Jul 8, 2010 |
Great book for baseball fans. Addresses history and prejudice. Pair with Christopher Bing's Casey at the Bat. 3-D cover and a bold art style. ( )
  kthomp25 | Jun 15, 2010 |
Ken Marantz and Sylvia Marantz (Children's Literature)
Koufax was “the greatest lefty who ever pitched in the game of baseball.” In a breezy, conversational style, Winter begins his story with Koufax’s youth as “a whiz at every sport he ever played.” Growing up Jewish in Brooklyn, however, he was supposed to be a doctor or lawyer. Invited to pitch for the Dodgers, Koufax proves himself to be unfortunately unpredictable. The Dodgers move to Los Angeles; Koufax leaves, returns, and finally becomes an ace. From 1961-1966, although his elbow swells painfully, he keeps throwing strikes. He becomes a hero to American Jews when he refuses to pitch on a High Holy Day. Then, he surprises everyone by retiring “at the peak of his game.” Winter celebrates Koufax as both a private person and baseball legend. Carrilho uses chiefly black and white colors, accented with some blue and splashes of gold, to illustrate the dramatic events in Koufax’s evolution. The not-completely-naturalistic illustrations were created in graphite on paper with color and texture added in Adobe Photoshop are as anecdotal as the text. For example, the single image of a baseball uniform shirt fills the page facing an illustration of Koufax surrounded by microphones as he announced his retirement. Or we are shown a double-page spread resembling a set of “how-he-does-it” illustrations about his style of pitching, using multiple images and lines representing the path of pitched balls. The lenticular cover is created with a plastic sheet using ridges. Three images are digitally sliced and printed on the sheet, with lenses allowing you to see only one at a time, so they move as the cover is manipulated. Additional facts are included in boxes throughout the text. There is also a glossary and a list of online resources. 2009, Schwartz & Wade/Random House Children’s Books, $17.99. Ages 5 to 9.

added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Ken Marantz and Sylvia Marantz

In this striking picture book biography, an old-timer tells us what made Sandy Koufax such an amazing baseball player. We learn that the beginning of his career with the Brooklyn Dodgers was rocky, that he was shy with his teammates, and experienced discrimination as one of the only Jews in the game. We hear that he actually quit, only to return the next season—different—firing one rocket after another over the plate. We watch him refuse to play in the 1965 World Series because it is a Jewish high holy day. And we see him in pain because of an overused left arm, eventually retiring at the peak of his career. Finally, we are told that people are still “scratchin’ their heads over Sandy,” who remains a modest hero and a mystery to this day.

Accompanied by sidebars filled with statistics, this Parents Magazine Best Book of the Year and Booklist Top of the List is sure to delight budding baseball fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:36 -0400)

In this striking picture book biography, an old-timer tells us what made Sandy Koufax so amazing. We learn that the beginning of his career with the Brooklyn Dodgers was rocky, that he was shy with his teammates, and experienced discrimination as one of the only Jews in the game. We hear that he actually quit, only to return the next season--different--firing one rocket after another over the plate. We watch him refuse to play in the 1965 World Series because it is a Jewish high holy day. And we see him in pain because of an overused left arm, eventually retiring at the peak of his career. Finally, we are told that people are still "scratchin' their heads over Sandy," who remains a modest hero and a mystery to this day.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,551,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible