Fins que passi la teva fúria by Asa Larsson

Fins que passi la teva fúria (original 2008; edition 2012)

by Asa Larsson

Member:bib.arboc
Title:Fins que passi la teva fúria
Authors:Asa Larsson
Info:Columna CAT (2012), Perfect Paperback
Collections:Registres no novetat
Tags:narrativa en català, negra

Until Thy Wrath Be Past by Åsa Larsson (2008)

Recently added byprivate library, Ghostly1, Boekenbeestje, NZ_Muse, JaanaG, Ma_Washigeri, kara.shamy, Bokmal68
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Both have an eye for Swedish nature and society, as well as contemporary history, and they describe human cruelty in its purest form.
    Englebjerget by Thomas Kanger (Kaczencja)

English (33)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (42)
Read this while ill - which was great as it kept my interest and the print was very large! But did not resonate with me the way the other books have done. The ghost allows the author to show the players in the drama from the inside - but feels a bit clumsy, perhaps because ghosts do not resonate with my own world view. Nice to spend a day with the regular characters, who are all old friends - Anna-Maria Mella and Stalnacke in the police, Sivving Fjallborg her neighbour, a new friend and dog handler Krister Eriksson and herself, Rebecca Martinsson. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Kindle
LT review:
A young couple, who are diving in a frigid lake to explore the possibility that there is a downed WWII plane on the bottom, are deliberately prevented from surfacing through the ice hole and both drown. At first thought to be a tragic accident, small clues lead the police to start thinking this may have been a murder. Rebecka Martinsson is now prosecutor in her home district and she joins the local police (who we have come to know in the previous books) to investigate. This particular installment leans a bit more towards the thriller subgenre, culminating in a very well done chase and survival scene (I'm not giving any hints).

Very good. A little woo-woo with Wilma's ghost as occasional narrator, but not annoying. Good characters and writing.

Read 5/14 ( )
  walkerff | May 25, 2014 |
An odd book--odd in good ways. There are unexpected elements in this mystery that make it a much better read than most. Larsson has a great deal of sympathy for what would in most books be quite unsympathetic characters. And there doesn't seem to be anything terribly self-conscious about this. Anywhere we get interiority, we get a person with whom we can sympathize at least to a small degree. This can be interpreted as something of a failure of the imagination, and maybe it is, but it is far, far superior to the two-dimensional monsters and freaks we usually get in novels like this. And also there is a quasi-religious element, which we can also see as a failure of the imagination, but which I prefer to see as standing in for a great many things we can't quite grasp as we seek resolution, justice, the good life, whatever it is we seek. One thing I really like about Larsson is that she subverts the hard-boiled cliches so naturally. That hard, gritty, violent, red-in-tooth-and-claw, insistently REAL! world of the detective is no more real than Cloud-Cuckoo-Land. And that hard-boiled fantasy reveals more about the fantasist than it does about any exterior reality. And that, I suppose, is Larsson's insight: the real REAL is in that interiority she is so fascinated with. Not that she has all the answers by any means. But she's looking in the right place. ( )
  ehines | Mar 22, 2014 |
A wonderful mystery. Despite some attempts at magic realism, with ghosts etc, this is a well written and tightly plotted affair. The villains never do get caught except that they are doomed because of old age. Very well done and highly recommended. ( )
  annbury | Feb 3, 2014 |
When seventeen year old Wilma Persson and her boyfriend Simon go diving in northern Sweden’s Lake Vittangijärvi they’re simply after a bit of adventure. Looking for the wreckage of a German plane rumoured to have crashed into the lake during WWII. But somebody is threatened by the very fact of the dive and so the two are killed; ruthlessly trapped beneath the lake’s frozen surface. Wilma’s body is discovered in a river some months later, though police soon learn she did not die where she was found. Rebecka Martinsson, District Prosecutor, immerses herself in the investigation being led by a fragile Police Inspector, Anna-Maria Mella. The two begin to learn that there are decades-old secrets that some people will kill to protect.

One sign you’re in the presence of outstanding crime writing is when you know what crime has been committed, how it was done and soon develop a strong sense of whodunnit but you’re thoroughly enthralled by the story regardless. From a storytelling perspective at least I think this is the best of Larsson’s four novels that have so far been translated into English, striking the perfect balance of thrills and thoughtfulness as it strips away the layers of secrets being kept by a family in the village of Piilijärvi near the lake where the couple died. The once-powerful father, embittered mother and two malicious, adult sons are at the heart of one half of this novel and they are depicted wonderfully though not, for the most part, sympathetically. It is through their eyes though that we learn of the myriad small decisions and choices made over the previous decades that culminated in the murder of Wilma and Simon.

Rebecka Martinsson is at the centre of the other part of the story: former high-flying Stockholm lawyer now satisfied as a country Prosecutor as she rebuilds her life after the harrowing events depicted in earlier novels. Even without reading those earlier books though I think it would be easy to get a sense of Rebecka’s strength as well as her underlying vulnerability. Visited by Wilma’s spirit early on in the story Rebecka is sceptical but prompted to ask a few questions about the recently discovered body and so seems to feel a particularly personal connection to the case. Given that the policewoman assigned to investigate is herself experiencing fallout of actions she took during the third novel in this series, it seems quite reasonable that Rebecka might become more involved than a prosecutor would normally do. The various personal tensions surrounding all the main players are nicely intertwined with the rest of the story and help to flesh out the sensitive and credible characterisations.

My threshold for ‘woo woo’ elements in my fiction is pretty low so I was a little concerned when Wilma’s ghost made an early appearance as the narrator of parts of this novel but Larsson pulled it off with panache. I’m sceptical about the notion of proactive spirits who stomp about the afterlife rattling chains and intervening in affairs but Wilma is not that kind of ghost. She is more a manifestation of the thoughts and feelings of people still living and I can easily believe in that. I’ve had the odd conversation with someone now dead, imagining their responses to my queries, thoughts and fears and it’s that kind of presence that Wilma provides to the people in this story.

Åsa Larsson is one of the names that pops into my head whenever anyone asks about favourite writers and this book is yet more evidence of the reasons why. The writing is assured (ably assisted in this instance by translator Laurie Thompson), the story is engaging and the characters are well-crafted and surprising. Until Thy Wrath be Past has a similar sensibility to the best fairy tales: offering a compellingly dark story with just a hint of the supernatural and containing within it a gentle parable for those who need to learn about the dangers of living a life fuelled by anger and resentment. First class reading.

my rating 4.5/5 stars ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |

Åsa Larssonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, LaurieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I remember how we died.

As spring arrives in the far north of Sweden, a young woman's body surfaces through the breaking ice of the River Thorne. At the same time, visions of a shadowy figure haunt the dreams of Rebecka Martinsson, a prosecutor in nearby Karuna. Could the body belong to the ghost in her dreams? And where is the dead girl's boyfriend?
Joining forces once again with Police Inspector Anna-Maria Mella, Rebecka finds herself drawn into an investigation that stirs up long-dormant rumors of a German supply plane that went missing in 1943—and of Nazi collaborators in the town, where shame and secrecy shroud the locals' memories of the war.
And on the windswept shore of a frozen lake lurks a murderer who will kill again to keep the past buried forever beneath half a century's silent ice and snow.

It is the first thaw of spring and the body of a young woman surfaces in the River Thorne in the far north of Sweden. Rebecka Martinsson is working as a prosecutor in nearby Karuna. Her sleep has been disturbed by haunting visions of a shadowy, accusing figure. Could the body belong to the ghost in her dreams? And where is the dead girl's boyfriend? Joining forces once again with Police Inspectors Anna-Maria Mella, Rebecka is drawn into an investigation that centres on old rumours of a German supply plane that mysteriously disappeared in 1943.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Until Thy Wrath Be Past by Åsa Larsson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,612,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible