Gaudenzia, Pride of the Palio by Marguerite…

Gaudenzia, Pride of the Palio (1960)

by Marguerite Henry

I read this for school quite a few years ago, and loved it! Rich with Italian history, I soaked up every word! And being a horse lover, it was just even better! ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |
After witnessing the pageantry of the equally ancient but lesser-known festival of the contradas of Nepi, in Lazio, I can appreciate how well Marguerite Henry depicts the background to the story. The plot is well-crafted and intensely interesting. But I frequently wondered what Ms. Henry was trying to convey by having characters speak bad English: "All this you got to see." It seemed jarring, pointless, and unlike the rhythm of the Italian language. Just a quibble, but it kept pulling me out of the enchantment of the story. ( )
  muumi | Apr 1, 2009 |
A delightful children's book about a boy and the horse he loved and the most famous horse race in Italy - the Palio. Engaging and aspirational, this is a lovely little book I remember from my childhood. Thanks to my local used bookseller, I was able to enjoy it all over again. Recommended for 6-9 year olds. ( )
1 vote Meggo | Aug 2, 2008 |
Not the most famous, but my favorite of Ms. Henry's books. ( )
1 vote TadAD | Jun 29, 2008 |
A story, based on real events, about a boy and a half-Arabian mare who enter the Palio, an annual race in Siena, Italy with all the pageantry of a medieval contest.
  cherrys-books | Jan 22, 2007 |
'Gaudenzia, pride of the Palio' was also published as 'Palio: The wildest horse race in the world'

A story, based on real events, about a boy and a half-Arabian mare who enter the Palio, an annual race in Siena, Italy, with all the pageantry of a medieval contest.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,656,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible