The Black Moon: Novel of Cornwall, 1794-1795…

The Black Moon: Novel of Cornwall, 1794-1795 (original 1973; edition 1979)

by Winston Graham

3971839,071 (4.12)1 / 74
Member:Joanne_Thwaites
Title:The Black Moon: Novel of Cornwall, 1794-1795
Authors:Winston Graham
Info:G K Hall & Co (1979), Hardcover, 870 pages

The Black Moon by Winston Graham (1973)

There are no spoilers for The Black Moon in this review, however, it's the fifth book in the series, so spoilers for the previous books cannot be helped.

I struggled with whether or not I would continue reading this series after the shocking actions of Ross Poldark in Warleggan. I am a fan of the television series, so I knew about Ross and Elizabeth's night of angry, passionate, consensual sex. The book, however, was different. It was rape. The actions of the supposed hero of the book left me disenchanted. I gave the book a favorable review because overall, the story is outstanding. Winston Graham has written a compelling story with fantastic characters. So in the end, I decided to continue with the series.

There's an author's note in The Black Moon that states Graham had only ever intended to write four books in the Poldark saga. He felt that their story was complete. It wasn't until years later that he decided to pick up where he left off. He cautions to not expect it to "solve everything, or tie up loose ends or to leave no new ones trailing. That isn't the way it happened at all." It was after reading the note that made me realize that in real life, justice isn't always swift, situations aren't always black and white, but a whole lot of grey.

The Black Moon, while continuing the Poldark story, focuses on other characters in the Poldark circle. Demelza's brothers Drake and Sam Carne come to work at the mine and around Nampara. Drake meets Geoffrey Charles and forms a fast, but forbidden, friendship. Drake is taken with Morwenna Chynoweth, Elizabeth's cousin and Geoffrey Charles' governess. You know their relationship is doomed because he is what they considered 'low born' and she, while penniless, has noble blood. Yet, I still yearn for them to find a way to be together. Demelza and Verity are my favorite characters by far. Demelza continues to be a pillar of strength for the Poldark family, as does Verity.

Geoffrey Charles is growing more defiant of George Warleggan daily, and it's hilarious. Dwight, now in the Navy, has been taken prisoner in France. His engagement to Caroline Penvenen is still kept secret from the majority of society. She spends most of the book yearning for news of Dwight. Elizabeth and Demelza both have a baby. And there's a possibility that Ross could also be the father of Elizabeth's son. Maybe we'll find out in the next book. George Warleggan is still George Warleggan. His character has been completely static throughout the whole series. Finally, Ross once more proves to be the hero he is capable of being. If only he can be the hero in his intimate relationships as well.

I'm happy Winston Graham decided to continue with this series. The characters are growing and changing, except George Warleggan, as well as the community in which they belong. The storyline continues to keep me captivated as events unfold. There are twelve books in this series, and I'm barely halfway through it. It's a long journey to undertake with such flawed characters, but I think I'm in it for the long haul.

Read more at http://www.toreadornottoread.net/2018/09/review-black-moon-by-winston-graham.htm... ( )
  mt256 | Sep 28, 2018 |
Winston Graham took a 20 year writing break between the fourth book of this series, Warleggan, and this fifth one, The Black Moon. At the beginning, I thought he might have lost his way during that hiatus, but boy was I wrong. He picked his story up and his characters led him into the heart of the battle. I wonder if there ever was a more believable and despicable villain than George Warleggan.

I had initially intended to stop reading this series at book four so that I would not infringe on the new season of the series which will begin later on this year. However, unlike Mr. Graham, I was not able to leave these characters celebrating their Christmas in 1793. I wanted to know what happened to them in 1794.

I haven’t been this in love with a male character since I fell for Rhett Butler when I was sixteen. It doesn’t hurt to have Aiden Turner’s face in my head when Ross Poldark is speaking to me (uh, I mean speaking to Demelza). I am so glad I decided to dive into this series of books. Graham is a marvelous writer, with style, finesse and a great ability to develop characters you can love or hate, want to shake, slap or kiss. I’m anxious to get on to book six.
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Another good read! I didn't like it as much as the last book, but still very good. George Warleggins seems to always be untouchable. I'll see if he continues to be so manipulative the next book. It's setup for there to be a reckoning between George and Elizabeth in the next book. ( )
  egrant5329 | Jan 20, 2018 |
  egrant5329 | Jan 20, 2018 |
From the first moment he set eyes on her so many years ago, he had always wanted her, but perhaps wanted her most as a collector, as a connoisseur wants the most beautiful thing he has ever seen. Since their marriage possession had familiarized but not spoiled the image. ~George Warleggan/character/nemesis of Ross Poldark

Continuing on with the Poldark saga, I stayed up late last night to finish this one. Even having a good idea how the novel ended didn't detract from my interest in the story.

Some things remain unchanged, such as Ross Poldark's perpetually simmering feud with George Warleggan. However additional characters are introduced in this book, which adds something new to the mix.

Although this wasn't my favorite book so far, I am still amazed how much historical information Winston Graham managed to sneak into the story, quite often in the form of dialogue between characters. This one focused on the French Revolution much more than previous books.

For fans of the TV series it seems the writers/producers took some liberties and diverged from the book version, I am guessing to condense the story. In retrospect, a few changes made sense and seemed to be in keeping with how specific characters would act. Otherwise, the book version was preferable.

4 stars for another entertaining and solidly written story. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the Poldark series, [book:The Four Swans|194633]. ( )
  This-n-That | Jan 9, 2018 |

The birth of a son to Elizabeth and George Warleggan serves only to accentuate the rift between the Poldark and Warleggan families, and the enduring rivalry between George and Ross finds a new focus for bitter enmity and conflict.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

Cornwall 1794. The birth of a son to Elizabeth and George Warleggan serves only to accentuate the rift between the Poldark and Warleggan families. And when Morwenna Chynoweth, now governess to Elizabeth's eldest son, grows to love Drake Carne, Demelza's brother, the enduring rivalry between George and Ross finds a new focus for bitter enmity and conflict.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,804,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible