The Black Moon (Poldark) by Winston Graham

The Black Moon (Poldark) (original 1973; edition 2008)

by Winston Graham (Author)

3881739,539 (4.14)1 / 73
Member:MickyFine
Title:The Black Moon (Poldark)
Authors:Winston Graham (Author)
Info:Pan Macmillan (2008), 560 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:library book, historical fiction, Cornwall, French Revolution, Poldark

The Black Moon by Winston Graham (1973)

Winston Graham took a 20 year writing break between the fourth book of this series, Warleggan, and this fifth one, The Black Moon. At the beginning, I thought he might have lost his way during that hiatus, but boy was I wrong. He picked his story up and his characters led him into the heart of the battle. I wonder if there ever was a more believable and despicable villain than George Warleggan.

I had initially intended to stop reading this series at book four so that I would not infringe on the new season of the series which will begin later on this year. However, unlike Mr. Graham, I was not able to leave these characters celebrating their Christmas in 1793. I wanted to know what happened to them in 1794.

I haven’t been this in love with a male character since I fell for Rhett Butler when I was sixteen. It doesn’t hurt to have Aiden Turner’s face in my head when Ross Poldark is speaking to me (uh, I mean speaking to Demelza). I am so glad I decided to dive into this series of books. Graham is a marvelous writer, with style, finesse and a great ability to develop characters you can love or hate, want to shake, slap or kiss. I’m anxious to get on to book six.
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Another good read! I didn't like it as much as the last book, but still very good. George Warleggins seems to always be untouchable. I'll see if he continues to be so manipulative the next book. It's setup for there to be a reckoning between George and Elizabeth in the next book. ( )
  egrant5329 | Jan 20, 2018 |
  egrant5329 | Jan 20, 2018 |
From the first moment he set eyes on her so many years ago, he had always wanted her, but perhaps wanted her most as a collector, as a connoisseur wants the most beautiful thing he has ever seen. Since their marriage possession had familiarized but not spoiled the image. ~George Warleggan/character/nemesis of Ross Poldark

Continuing on with the Poldark saga, I stayed up late last night to finish this one. Even having a good idea how the novel ended didn't detract from my interest in the story.

Some things remain unchanged, such as Ross Poldark's perpetually simmering feud with George Warleggan. However additional characters are introduced in this book, which adds something new to the mix.

Although this wasn't my favorite book so far, I am still amazed how much historical information Winston Graham managed to sneak into the story, quite often in the form of dialogue between characters. This one focused on the French Revolution much more than previous books.

For fans of the TV series it seems the writers/producers took some liberties and diverged from the book version, I am guessing to condense the story. In retrospect, a few changes made sense and seemed to be in keeping with how specific characters would act. Otherwise, the book version was preferable.

4 stars for another entertaining and solidly written story. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the Poldark series, [book:The Four Swans|194633]. ( )
  Lisa805 | Jan 9, 2018 |
As always, these books give you such emotional whiplash you don't know if you should be laughing or crying...or both. A wonderful edition to the series with hilarious moments and heartbreak abounds. A great story line and while the pacing was a bit slow in places, still a very good read. I would recommend it. 5 out of 5 stars. On to The Four Swans! ( )
  Beammey | Nov 20, 2017 |

The birth of a son to Elizabeth and George Warleggan serves only to accentuate the rift between the Poldark and Warleggan families, and the enduring rivalry between George and Ross finds a new focus for bitter enmity and conflict.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

Cornwall 1794. The birth of a son to Elizabeth and George Warleggan serves only to accentuate the rift between the Poldark and Warleggan families. And when Morwenna Chynoweth, now governess to Elizabeth's eldest son, grows to love Drake Carne, Demelza's brother, the enduring rivalry between George and Ross finds a new focus for bitter enmity and conflict.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,000,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible