The Miller's Dance by Winston Graham

The Miller's Dance (1982)

by Winston Graham

238568,675 (4.2)1 / 51

4.5 stars. Just a tad short of the best books in the series.

According to William Shakespeare (and who would know better than he?), “The course of true love never did run smooth.” Not a trace of smooth sailing for the lovers and would-be lovers in The Miller’s Dance. Graham, in his inimitable style, weaves us a tale of snags that range from lack of interest on someone’s part to uncontrollable circumstances that seemingly cannot be overcome. The only lovers who are contented here are the old ones.

This is the ninth installment in the series, and I know these characters so well by now that I should be able to predict their next move. The fact that I cannot, but that the unpredictability never steps outside the bounds of the character that Winston Graham has told me these people have, is a real testament to his skill and imagination as a storyteller.

I have become just as enthralled and anxious over the second generation of Poldarks as I was over the first. I'm glad, however, that Graham did not drop the early characters (as long sagas often do) and has continued to include Ross, Demelza and even the reprehensible George in meaningful ways.

I have been buying and reading these novels in groups of three, and I am sorry to say that when I take the next book in hand I will have entered that last trilogy. I would never have expected to take on a series with twelve books, but I am very glad I decided to read this one. Highly recommended to any and all, but especially those who enjoy knowing the characters that people a world long gone and immersing themselves in the history of another time. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
Another great book in the Poldark. The children, Jeremy and Clowance are playing a greater role in the series now.

The love affair between Clowance and Stephen Carrington became rather tense but so far anyway seems to have ended though you know it has not ended in Stephen's heart. Jeremy changes from a promising inventor in cutting edge steam engine design to a bit of a dark side resulting from his frustrations with his own love life which gives cause for concern, participating in an adventure which if he is caught would lead him to the gallows. Stephen is not a good influence on him.

Throw in the usual Poldark/Warleggan discord and you have an excellent read. There has been no letdown in interest and quality of this excellent series after the 9th book and I look forward to tracking down the rest of the novels. ( )
  Lynxear | Jun 15, 2018 |
Warning: this review contains spoilers

Another great installment in the Poldark series. Plenty of dramatic tension in the plotline involving Clowance and her relationship with Stephen Carrington, who turns out to be a total creeper. She is well rid of him. Elsewhere, the Poldark/Warleggan feud is looking to heat up in the next generation, and Ross and Demelza find themselves parents again, with Demelza at 42 being definitely in the upper end of safe pregnancy for this time period. There’s also a plotline involving Jeremy that will make the reader want to have the next book in the series on hand immediately. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Feb 20, 2018 |
In the shadows of Napoleon's wars in Europe, as well as the War of 1812, life continues on in Cornwall. Ross worries about his wife's health as he and Demelza wait for their newest child. Clowance and Jeremy Poldark both continue to suffer the vagaries of love and make some truly astounding life choices. Meanwhile George Warleggan continues to attempt to manipulate those around him and discovers that the people closest to him are far less pliable than those over whom he holds financial sway.

A solid entry in the series that I thoroughly enjoyed and surprisingly devoured over the course of the weekend. These characters are all so familiar now that I relish any time I get to spend with them. Although Jeremy Poldark What the heck were you thinking robbing a bank coach? You idiotic man-child. *grumbles*. I'm pleased that even though the focus has shifted more heavily to the next generation, there's still plenty of page count devoted to Ross and Demelza. Of course I most definitely look forward to my next visit with these characters whenever the next book comes up in the shuffle of The List. ( )
  MickyFine | Jan 22, 2018 |
In this installment of the Poldark saga, Ross and Demelza are still main characters, but their offspring are becoming key players in their own right. Valentine Warleggan is growing into his heritage, while both Jeremy and Clowance appear to be star-crossed in love.

The author adds enough politics and history to make the story ring true, but not enough to bore or frustrate the reader. The end is not exactly a cliff-hanger, but does make the reader want to pick up the next book in the series.

The Miller's Dance is engaging, and does not read like a 400+ page book. ( )
  fuzzi | Sep 15, 2017 |
I would like to thank Tony Woolrich for much valuable help and advice, especially on the technical aspects of high-pressure steam.
On a grey day early in February, 1812, a convoy was anchored off Hendrawna Beach on the north-west coast of Cornwall.

The ninth volume in the incomparable Poldark saga - a hero, a heritage, a history Cornwall, 1812: At Nampara, the Poldark family finds the new year brings involvement in more than one unexpected venture. For Ross and Demelza there is some surprising - and worrying - news. And Clowance, newly returned from her London triumphs, finds that her entanglement with Stephen Carrington brings not only happiness but heartache. As the armies battle in Spain, and the political situation at home becomes more obscure daily, the Poldark and Warleggan families find themselves thrust into a turbulent new era as complex and changing as the patterns of The Miller's Dance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,091,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible