The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and…

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Stories

by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I read a similar short story before. Whether it came before or after CCBB is beyond me since I haven't been able to find it since my undergrad days, but either way, *this* was not the superior story. Nor were any of the other short stories contained in this volume of any interest. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 12, 2016 |
I never loved The Great Gatsby in high school...I seem to recall thinking Gatsby was a buttface and Daisy was an idiot. Maybe I should read it again, because I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Yes, there were some I didn't like, but my favorites more than make up for those that I didn't like.

"Bernice Bobs Her Hair"... warrants a second reading, Marjorie deserved what she got in the end! Justice for the unfavored girl!
"Head & Shoulders" ...beautifully bitter ending...great take on O.Henry's "The gift".
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"...very interesting that they turned this into a movie...cute story...sad though.
"The Diamond as Big as the Ritz"...reminded me of Bernie Madoff and how he tried to protect his own "diamond"...I just read an article in April '09s Vanity Fair that made me think of this story. Oh, the things we will do to protect ourselves and our fortunes!
"Benediction"...love that the brother and sister connected...but I want more!
"The Offshore Pirate"...silly story...if someone lied to me like that, I certainly wouldn't love them in the end!
"Dalyrimple Goes Wrong"...I don't know that any politician today could have a past like Dalyrimple, but if Dalyrimple is the only one that knows his dirty past then it's possible that he could get away with it...makes you wonder how much people get away with everyday! ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 13, 2013 |
Great collection of Fitzgerald short stories from the 1920s. ( )
  Marzia22 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Some of these stories were great: funny, inventive, romantic. The 'fantasies' are probably the most enjoyable, particularly 'The Offshore Pirate' and 'The Diamond as Big as the Ritz'. Others are really terrible. Like, excruciatingly bad: full of banal bon mots and irritatingly precocious protagonists. An interesting taste of the times, though. I actually found the author's brief comments on his own stories more interesting than the contemporary introduction and notes in this edition. ( )
  sunjata | Jun 25, 2011 |
This is one of F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories. It was an odd story. It was a little sad but just felt incomplete. I enjoy his writing style and this one was a very quick read. I'm interested to see how they develop the details in the movie...seems like this story can be developed into so much more. ( )
  HELLOKITTYISPRETTY | Nov 14, 2010 |

The inspiration for the major motion picture starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett?plus eighteen other stories by the beloved author of The Great Gatsby

IN THE TITLE STORY, a baby born in 1860 begins life as an old man and proceeds to age backward. F. Scott Fizgerald hinted at this kind of inversion when he called his era ?a generation grown up to find all Gods dead, all wars fought, all faiths in man shaken.? Perhaps nowhere in American fiction has this ?Lost Generation? been more vividly preserved than in Fitzgerald?s short fiction. Spanning the early twentieth-century American landscape, this original collection captures, with Fitzgerald?s signature blend of enchantment and disillusionment, America during the Jazz Age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:41 -0400)

Presents the title story about the curious case of a baby, born in 1860, who begins life as an old man and who proceeds to age backward, accompanied by eighteen other stories set against the backdrop of Jazz Age America.

Legacy Library: F. Scott Fitzgerald

F. Scott Fitzgerald has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's legacy profile.

See F. Scott Fitzgerald's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,792,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible