Promise Me (Myron Bolitar Mysteries) by…

Promise Me (Myron Bolitar Mysteries) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Harlan Coben

Member:sjmccreary
Title:Promise Me (Myron Bolitar Mysteries)
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Signet (2007), Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:fiction, F/C Myron Bolitar, book #8, New Jersey, missing girl, runaway, 999 challenge

Promise Me by Harlan Coben (2006)

Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler (Bjoernelv)
    Bjoernelv: Humorous actionthrillers, both the Myron Bolitar-series and the Dirk Pitt-series are extremely exciting and fun readings! :-)
    Killing Floor by Lee Child (fleagirl)
    fleagirl: Big tough-guy with heart of tarnished gold, has knack for getting himself into trouble while getting others out.

English (44)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (50)
Book about a man that promises if two teen age girls are in trouble they will call him. One does. I really don't remember the end or why the girl disappeared, so the book wasn't that memorable. ( )
  csobolak | Apr 20, 2013 |
didn't like the narrator. at all. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
Promise Me didn't live up to my expectations, but it wasn't a complete let down either. The plot was interesting enough to make me want to read more, but that's about it. It had far too many main characters (many of them very unlikable), too many suspects and too many conclusions. I really liked how it ended though- the ending definitely saved the whole book. Overall, I did like it, but it was very muddled and lacked structure. I'll be interested to read more from Coben, though. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
I listened to this book as an electronic download from my library. I had never read any books by this author and I see him mentioned quite a lot so I thought this would be a good introduction. Is it just me or is Myron Bolitar like a male version of Stephanie Plum without the quirky behaviour?

The daughter of a high school friend of Myron's disappears just after Myron dropped her off. Earlier another girl of the same age who went to the same school also disappeared. Both girls withdrew money from the same ATM in Manhattan just before their disappearances. That's about all that links them but Myron promises to track down his daughter's friend which means finding out what happened to the other girl.

I don't think I'll be rushing out to get any more Myron Bolitar books. ( )
  gypsysmom | Dec 19, 2011 |
Harlan Coben's Myron Bolivar, is near the top of my list for a recurring character in a series of books. Entertainment agent, a man who actually visits his parents and lives in the house where he grew up, with an assortment of friends that includes two women ex-wrestlers, Myron is one of those characters that you feel you know--almost a type of guy next door . . . almost.

In this installment, the daughter of a close friend goes missing. Did she run away or was something more sinister involved? Myron, with his underlying calling to help people, becomes involved in the search for the truth, but will it be a truth he and his friend will be able to accept?

Well paced, with Mr. Coben's usual great dialogue and story line, I give the book and Myron a "thumbs up". ( )
  cmeilink | Nov 17, 2011 |
For Charlotte, Ben, Will and Eve. You're a handful, but you will always be my world.
The missing girl-there had been unceasing news reports, always flashing to that achingly ordinary school portrait of the vanished teen, you know the one, with the rainbow-swirl background, the girl's hair too straight, her smile too self-conscious, then a quick cut to the worried parents on the front lawn, microphones surrounding them, Mom silently tearful, Dad reading a statement with a quivering lip-that girl, that missing girl, had just walked past Edna Skylar.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451219244, Mass Market Paperback)

The school year is almost over. In these last pressure cooker months of high school, some kids will make the all too common and all too dangerous mistake of drinking and driving. But Myron is determined to help keep his friends’ children safe, and so he makes two neighborhood girls promise him that if they are ever in a bind but are afraid to call their parents, they will call him. Several nights later, the call comes at two a.m. The next day, a girl is missing, and Myron is the last person who saw her. Desperate to fulfill a well-intentioned promise turned horribly wrong, Myron races to find her before she’s gone forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:47 -0400)

Entertainment agent Myron Bolitar offers a ride home to a young girl to prevent her from accepting a ride from a drunk driver, but when the girl disappears, he is forced to rescue her to prove his innocence.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible