Promise Me (Myron Bolitar Mysteries) by…

Promise Me (Myron Bolitar Mysteries) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Harlan Coben

Member:sjmccreary
Title:Promise Me (Myron Bolitar Mysteries)
Authors:Harlan Coben
Info:Signet (2007), Paperback, 512 pages
Tags:fiction, F/C Myron Bolitar, book #8, New Jersey, missing girl, runaway, 999 challenge

Promise Me by Harlan Coben (2006)

Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler (Bjoernelv)
    Bjoernelv: Humorous actionthrillers, both the Myron Bolitar-series and the Dirk Pitt-series are extremely exciting and fun readings! :-)
    Killing Floor by Lee Child (fleagirl)
    fleagirl: Big tough-guy with heart of tarnished gold, has knack for getting himself into trouble while getting others out.

English (54)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  English (62)
Book Description
New York Times bestselling author Harlan Coben returns with PROMISE ME--a searing new thriller and a story of how far we will go to protect our own….

It has been six years since entertainment agent Myron Bolitar last played superhero. In six years he hasn’t thrown a punch. He hasn’t held, much less fired, a gun. He hasn’t called his friend Win, still the scariest man he knows, to back him up or get him out of trouble.
All that is about to change...because of a promise.

The school year is almost over. Anxious families await word of college acceptances. In these last pressure-cooker months of high school, some kids will make the all-too- common and all-too-dangerous mistake of drinking and driving. But Myron is determined to help keep his friends’ children safe, and so he makes two neighborhood girls promise him: If they are ever in a bind but are afraid to call their parents, they must call him.

Several nights later, the call comes at 2:00 am, and true to his word, Myron picks up one of the girls in midtown Manhattan and drives her to a quiet cul-de-sac in New Jersey where she says her friend lives.

The next day, the girl’s parents discover that their daughter is missing. And that Myron was the last person to see her. Desperate to fulfill a well-intentioned promise turned nightmarishly wrong, Myron races to find her before she’s gone forever. But his past will not be buried so easily - for trouble has always stalked him, and his loved ones often suffer. Now Myron must decide once and for all who he is and what he will stand up for if he is to have any hope of saving a young girl’s life.

My Review
This book was a bit different from Coben's other Myron Bolitar books because Myron is the main character. The plot was intricate, witty and suspenseful which makes for a great mystery read. From the beginning, I was hooked and the twists and turns kept me guessing right up to the surprise ending. I would have to say that I think this is Coben's best Myron Bolitar book. I would highly recommend this book if you like laugh-out-loud suspense mysteries and I look forward to reading his next Bolitar book. ( )
  EadieB | Nov 27, 2016 |
A book that wS interesting, exciting and for me the first with the Bolitar-gang.
I liked it a lot. Like I said, it was exciting and apart fron that gad an ending that surprised me, always something I like when reading a thriller.
Recommended! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 30, 2016 |
Well constructed book with lots of twists and turns in the plot. Characters continue to develop in this, the 8th in the series. Sidekick, Win, shines again here as Myron gets knocked around a little while searching for a lost girl. Who would ever name a kid: Myron? ( )
  buffalogr | Aug 16, 2016 |
Another excellent Harlan Coben. Plenty of twists and turns, and a surprise twist at the end. Had to read well into the night to find out the ending ! Can't wait for the next installment of Myron Bolitar. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
From Amazon:

The school year is almost over. In these last pressure cooker months of high school, some kids will make the all too common and all too dangerous mistake of drinking and driving. But Myron is determined to help keep his friends’ children safe, and so he makes two neighborhood girls promise him that if they are ever in a bind but are afraid to call their parents, they will call him. Several nights later, the call comes at two a.m. The next day, a girl is missing, and Myron is the last person who saw her. Desperate to fulfill a well-intentioned promise turned horribly wrong, Myron races to find her before she’s gone forever.

My Thoughts:

This is a beautifully, well-constructed novel with amazing plot twists and turns. It is virtually impossible to guess the villain. You almost feel that the final twist is simply not believable but on reflection you can see that the seeds are there but there lots of red herrings along the way. I can't imagine what must go on in this man's head to inspire him to invent characters like Big Cyndi and Little Pocahontas. Whatever it is, I hope he keeps it going. Another great read from Harlan Coben. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Harlan Cobenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Busk, SisselTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Callegari, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Charlotte, Ben, Will and Eve. You're a handful, but you will always be my world.
The missing girl-there had been unceasing news reports, always flashing to that achingly ordinary school portrait of the vanished teen, you know the one, with the rainbow-swirl background, the girl's hair too straight, her smile too self-conscious, then a quick cut to the worried parents on the front lawn, microphones surrounding them, Mom silently tearful, Dad reading a statement with a quivering lip-that girl, that missing girl, had just walked past Edna Skylar.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451219244, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

Entertainment agent Myron Bolitar offers a ride home to a young girl to prevent her from accepting a ride from a drunk driver, but when the girl disappears, he is forced to rescue her to prove his innocence.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,635,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible