From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E.…

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (original 1967; edition 1998)

by E.L. Konigsburg

10,813218385 (4.16)1 / 318
Member:matociquala
Title:From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Authors:E.L. Konigsburg
Info:Aladdin (1998), Edition: Reissue, Paperback

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (1967)

Recently added byeowynfaramir, private library, JVSoCat, RedwoodCoop, kelly_jeanie, Mountaintop, HWISPANJ
    The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (infiniteletters)
    The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These books share an imaginative, adventurous quality, with compelling young characters. The plots/settings are very different, but they have some thematic similarities.
    Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (bell7)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    The Calder Game by Blue Balliett (Anonymous user)
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Another great book that centers around a museum. This one is about Theo, a girl whose parents are curators. Most of the time her parents get so wrapped up in their work that Theo ends up spending the night in the museum. Her favorite spot? An ancient sarcophagus she keeps handy to protect her from all the evil spirits lurking about the museum at night. Most of the Egyptian items are covered with curses, and Theo is working to remove the curses and protect her parents and the other museum workers from evil. Really fun read!… (more)
    The Law of Gravity by Johanna Hurwitz (muumi)
    muumi: In The Law of Gravity (aka What Goes Up Must Come Down) Margo Green and her friend Bernie visit the MMA and make sure to search out 'the bed that Claudia slept in, in the movie'. It's quite a suitable literary pilgrimage, because What Goes Up is another delightful book set in Manhattan, with another heroine determined to change her own life.… (more)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (Ciruelo)
    Flight of the Doves by Walter Macken (bookel)
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    Secrets of the Shopping Mall by Richard Peck (bookel)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart, witty and clever kids!
    Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: While intelligent young people in New York City have unusual adventures that revolve around mysteries -- Liar's Georges spies on neighbors; Claudia hides out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art -- their observations, conversations, emotions and experiences are entirely convincing.… (more)
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: clever children abound
    The Lancelot Closes at Five by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat (bookel)
    Mystery in the Flooded Museum by Margaret Goff Clark (bookel)
    Hideaway by Beverly Hollett Renner (bookel)
    The Hideout by Eve Bunting (bookel)
    Father's Arcane Daughter by E. L. Konigsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Like many others of her books, this one---my favorite---should be read by adults as well as children.

Straight A student, Claudia, has had enough of being good and decides to run away. But it has to be somewhere beautiful, so she takes her little brother (who is useful for his stash of money from playing cards), and they run away to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art. There they hide out amongst the art works and try to work out what really makes an adventure that changes you. ( )
  AccyP | Mar 13, 2019 |
I remember this being one of my favorite books as a kid, I'm sure I read it several times, but couldn't remember anything about it. So, I decided it was time to read it again. How fun... now I understand why I liked it so much. I even remember taking it to the library and saying "I want more like this one." Art, mystery, adventure, curiosity... what's not to like? ( )
  asawyer | Feb 24, 2019 |
The platinum standard of children's literature. The book is flawless.

I forgot just how good this book really is, I think my memories were clouded by the 1995 TV-movie (ooo, here's a trailer) which was fun but in TV-movie fashion didn't really do justice to the book.

It is the best runaway ever devised. Instead of the discomfort of hiding into the woods or somewhere else they'll be spotted immediately, they hide in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, dining at automats and cafeterias, scrounging extra change from a fountain and getting excited about a mysterious new acquisition of the museum's. Claudia is a genius planner and grammar-inspector, and her miserly brother Jamie is invited along for his money won in part by his cheating at cards. Told in the form of a long letter to her attorney, Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler adds the right tone to the narration Claudia and Jamie's squabbling and camraderie, full of matter-of-factness and humor.

I really must read more Konigsburg. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I read this book when I was a child, and when I saw it referenced in Mr Robot, I figured I should pick it up and read it again as an adult. The story hasn't worn off, despite being over twice the age I was when I read it! The story focuses on two young children - Claudia (11) and Jamie (9) - who decide to move to New York City on a whim, using Jamie's vast reserves of pocket money to live on. They take residence in the Met Museum, and from thereon, have adventures involving tracking down a priceless Renaissance piece, fooling security guards, and sleeping in a bed from Tudor England. Despite being for children, the plot is intelligent, well-written, and funny. The two central characters talk like real children (something authors seem to get wrong a lot), and have distinct enough personalities that they could be any brother-sister pair you know. Entirely relatable as an adult, since Claudia's main reason for escaping was to be removed from the monotony of her cosy life in the suburbs. Therefore, my only solution is to camp out in the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. But the most important lesson I learnt from reading this book is that life is too short to be boring, and it is much better to try to have some fun. ( )
  yassie_j | Feb 11, 2019 |
Hilarious, whimsical, rather unrealistic, but still a ton of fun! ( )
  SarahGraceGrzy | Oct 2, 2018 |

E. L. Konigsburgprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clayburgh, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Drukker, BettienaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miner, JanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thé Tjong-KhingCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To David, with love and pluses
To my lawyer, Saxonberg:

I can't say that I enjoyed your last visit. (Prologue)
Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away.
"Secrets are the kind of adventure she needs. Secrets are safe, and they do much to make you different." p.150.

Two suburban children run away from their Connecticut home and go to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, where their ingenuity enables them to live in luxury.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711816, Paperback)

After reading this book, I guarantee that you will never visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (or any wonderful, old cavern of a museum) without sneaking into the bathrooms to look for Claudia and her brother Jamie. They're standing on the toilets, still, hiding until the museum closes and their adventure begins. Such is the impact of timeless novels . . . they never leave us. E. L. Konigsburg won the 1967 Newbery Medal for this tale of how Claudia and her brother run away to the museum in order to teach their parents a lesson. Little do they know that mystery awaits!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

Having run away with her younger brother to live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, twelve-year-old Claudia strives to keep things in order in their new home and to become a changed person and a heroine to herself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,459,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible