From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E.…

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (original 1967; edition 2007)

by E.L. Konigsburg

Member:JessicaABaker
Title:From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Authors:E.L. Konigsburg
Info:Atheneum (2007), Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:***
Tags:children's novel, YA novel

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (1967)

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (infiniteletters)
    The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These books share an imaginative, adventurous quality, with compelling young characters. The plots/settings are very different, but they have some thematic similarities.
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (bell7)
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Another great book that centers around a museum. This one is about Theo, a girl whose parents are curators. Most of the time her parents get so wrapped up in their work that Theo ends up spending the night in the museum. Her favorite spot? An ancient sarcophagus she keeps handy to protect her from all the evil spirits lurking about the museum at night. Most of the Egyptian items are covered with curses, and Theo is working to remove the curses and protect her parents and the other museum workers from evil. Really fun read!… (more)
    The Calder Game by Blue Balliett (Anonymous user)
    Flight of the Doves by Walter Macken (bookel)
    The Law of Gravity by Johanna Hurwitz (muumi)
    muumi: In The Law of Gravity (aka What Goes Up Must Come Down) Margo Green and her friend Bernie visit the MMA and make sure to search out 'the bed that Claudia slept in, in the movie'. It's quite a suitable literary pilgrimage, because What Goes Up is another delightful book set in Manhattan, with another heroine determined to change her own life.… (more)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart, witty and clever kids!
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (Ciruelo)
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    Secrets of the Shopping Mall by Richard Peck (bookel)
    The Lancelot Closes at Five by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat (bookel)
    The hideaway summer (Republished as: The hideaway) by Beverly Hollett Renner (bookel)
    Father's Arcane Daughter, or My Father's Daughter by E. L. Konigsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Like many others of her books, this one---my favorite---should be read by adults as well as children.
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: clever children abound
    Mystery in the Flooded Museum by Margaret Goff Clark (bookel)
    The Hideout by Eve Bunting (bookel)

It is a matter of great astonishment to me that this book never encouraged me to run away when I was twelve years old. Possibly it's just that I didn't live near enough a great museum to hide away in it. Because I was very, very much like Claudia - I loved a little secret, and a bigger one even more.
  jen.e.moore | Mar 29, 2014 |
Fed up with daily life in suburban Connecticut, 12-year-old Claudia recruits her younger brother Jamie for an adventure: to hide out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Armed with allowance money and their trumpet cases stuffed with clean underwear, the siblings set off to explore New York City and the Met's cultural offerings. They soon discover the museum's latest addition: a sculpture possibly carved by Michelangelo. First published in 1967, the story of these siblings' adventure continues to engage imaginative young readers who crave a break from routine, The author's monochromatic illustrations sprinkled throughout the text supplement the narrative for readers who appreciate story visuals. Readers will relate to the children's simultaneous feelings of affection and irritation as they team together to survive in the big city and avoid detection at the Met. Rife with action, mystery, and self-discovery. Fans of Fitzhugh's Harriet the Spy (1964) or Snyder's The Egypt Game (1967) will not mind the historical details and dearth of digital devices. ( )
  aeisen9 | Mar 16, 2014 |
I like that this book had a backstory to it and seemed to be rather involved. I was intrigued from the beginning and wanted to figure out how Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler was involved with the rest of the story. I really identified with Claudia because she reminded me of myself as a child. Although I'll admit that the beginning was a more interesting read for me than the latter parts, I still enjoyed the book. Jamie and Claudia are very relatable and clever, and I could see children getting really sucked into this novel. ( )
  L_Cochran | Mar 15, 2014 |
Claudia is not happy being the oldest of 4 siblings so she decides to invite her younger brother, Jamie, to run away with her to New York City where they hide in the Metropolitan Museum. As they are spending their days touring the vast array of wings in the Met they encounter a mysterious angel statue that has them (and the rest of New York) questioning if the famous artist Michelangelo sculpted it. They investigate the clues that lead them to Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler herself.

The story is narrated by Mrs. Frankweiler herself. I especially like the mysterious way the kids must avoid getting caught staying at the museum. The fun ending with Saxonburg is cute, although a piece is missing as to why he doesn't ever get to see the grandkids.

Charming story, though! Quick read! ( )
  missbrandysue | Feb 27, 2014 |
I've been bugging Maddie so often to read this book that I figured I should just go ahead and reread it myself. It has probably been over 30 years! It seemed a bit stilted at first but by the end, it completely won me over once again. Konigsburg says it best in her Afterword: "the greatest adventure lies not in running away but in looking inside, and the greatest discovery is not in finding out who made a statue but in finding out what makes you."
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |

E. L. Konigsburgprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clayburgh, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miner, JanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, with love and pluses
To my lawyer, Saxonberg:

I can't say that I enjoyed your last visit. (Prologue)
Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away.
"Secrets are the kind of adventure she needs. Secrets are safe, and they do much to make you different." p.150.
Two suburban children run away from their Connecticut home and go to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, where their ingenuity enables them to live in luxury.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711816, Paperback)

After reading this book, I guarantee that you will never visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (or any wonderful, old cavern of a museum) without sneaking into the bathrooms to look for Claudia and her brother Jamie. They're standing on the toilets, still, hiding until the museum closes and their adventure begins. Such is the impact of timeless novels . . . they never leave us. E. L. Konigsburg won the 1967 Newbery Medal for this tale of how Claudia and her brother run away to the museum in order to teach their parents a lesson. Little do they know that mystery awaits!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:16 -0400)

Having run away with her younger brother to live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, twelve-year-old Claudia strives to keep things in order in their new home and to become a changed person and a heroine to herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible