From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E.…

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (original 1967; edition 2002)

by E. L. Konigsburg

Member:rgruberexcel
Title:From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Authors:E. L. Konigsburg
Info:Simon Pulse 2002-10-01 (2002), Paperback
Tags:grade 5, S-T, realistic fiction

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (1967)

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (infiniteletters)
    The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These books share an imaginative, adventurous quality, with compelling young characters. The plots/settings are very different, but they have some thematic similarities.
    Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (bell7)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    The Calder Game by Blue Balliett (Anonymous user)
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Another great book that centers around a museum. This one is about Theo, a girl whose parents are curators. Most of the time her parents get so wrapped up in their work that Theo ends up spending the night in the museum. Her favorite spot? An ancient sarcophagus she keeps handy to protect her from all the evil spirits lurking about the museum at night. Most of the Egyptian items are covered with curses, and Theo is working to remove the curses and protect her parents and the other museum workers from evil. Really fun read!… (more)
    The Law of Gravity by Johanna Hurwitz (muumi)
    muumi: In The Law of Gravity (aka What Goes Up Must Come Down) Margo Green and her friend Bernie visit the MMA and make sure to search out 'the bed that Claudia slept in, in the movie'. It's quite a suitable literary pilgrimage, because What Goes Up is another delightful book set in Manhattan, with another heroine determined to change her own life.… (more)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (Ciruelo)
    Flight of the Doves by Walter Macken (bookel)
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    Secrets of the Shopping Mall by Richard Peck (bookel)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart, witty and clever kids!
    Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: While intelligent young people in New York City have unusual adventures that revolve around mysteries -- Liar's Georges spies on neighbors; Claudia hides out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art -- their observations, conversations, emotions and experiences are entirely convincing.… (more)
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: clever children abound
    The Lancelot Closes at Five by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat (bookel)
    Mystery in the Flooded Museum by Margaret Goff Clark (bookel)
    Hideaway by Beverly Hollett Renner (bookel)
    The Hideout by Eve Bunting (bookel)
    Father's Arcane Daughter, or My Father's Daughter by E. L. Konigsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Like many others of her books, this one---my favorite---should be read by adults as well as children.

I love this story, its possible the source of my Michelangelo obession. I read this book for the first a long time ago and it took me ages to figure out what book it was because I couldn't find anyone who understood what I was talking about until recently and I still love this story. It's creative and fun and a little educational all at the same time, I love the characters and I loved the adventure they go on. I really feel that more people should read this and / or recommend it to someone else ^_^ ( )
  SamCanesi | Feb 5, 2016 |
I read this when I was in 5th or 6th grade. I remember loving it! ( )
  AmieB7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
This was one of my favorite books growing up. I still found it really fun and different. Claudia has decided to runaway and is going to ask her brother Jamie to come with her. Mainly because he has a lot of money. Where are they going? To the Metropolitan Museum of Art. They are going to live there because Claudia likes things clean and nice and living outside would have been much harder. Once in the museum they find a mystery about a statue that was sold by Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Claudia decides they cannot go home until the mystery is solved. I really loved the book and found it just as wonderful today as I did growing up. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
Two children run away and live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a week. The details are pretty dated but the adventure is still fun. This is the sort of tale I would have loved as a kid, though it turned out to be a bit more mundane than my fantasy-loving heart would have preferred. Still, a fun one to read, even if I doubt it would hold as much appeal to today's children. ( )
  melydia | Dec 19, 2015 |
I have no idea how this book managed to escape my attention for so long. As a child I was obsessed with the Met due to the movie Don't Eat the Pictures. I couldn't have written a more interesting book for myself.

I loved Koningsburg descriptions of New York and the Met. Claudia and Jamie were such smart and self assured kids. Their voices were so very realistic, I loved thier sibling squables and the way they pulled together when it was nessicary.

The idea of them running off, while it would have appealed to me as a kid, it makes my heart drop now. I'm glad that the book is older and that the kids are definatly of their time. ( )
  sscarllet | Dec 15, 2015 |

E. L. Konigsburgprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clayburgh, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miner, JanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To David, with love and pluses
To my lawyer, Saxonberg:

I can't say that I enjoyed your last visit. (Prologue)
Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away.
"Secrets are the kind of adventure she needs. Secrets are safe, and they do much to make you different." p.150.
Two suburban children run away from their Connecticut home and go to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, where their ingenuity enables them to live in luxury.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711816, Paperback)

After reading this book, I guarantee that you will never visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (or any wonderful, old cavern of a museum) without sneaking into the bathrooms to look for Claudia and her brother Jamie. They're standing on the toilets, still, hiding until the museum closes and their adventure begins. Such is the impact of timeless novels . . . they never leave us. E. L. Konigsburg won the 1967 Newbery Medal for this tale of how Claudia and her brother run away to the museum in order to teach their parents a lesson. Little do they know that mystery awaits!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

Having run away with her younger brother to live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, twelve-year-old Claudia strives to keep things in order in their new home and to become a changed person and a heroine to herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,095,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible