From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E.…

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (original 1967; edition 2002)

by E. L. Konigsburg

Member:rgruberexcel
Title:From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Authors:E. L. Konigsburg
Info:Simon Pulse 2002-10-01 (2002), Paperback
Tags:grade 5, S-T, realistic fiction

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (1967)

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (infiniteletters)
    The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These books share an imaginative, adventurous quality, with compelling young characters. The plots/settings are very different, but they have some thematic similarities.
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (bell7)
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Another great book that centers around a museum. This one is about Theo, a girl whose parents are curators. Most of the time her parents get so wrapped up in their work that Theo ends up spending the night in the museum. Her favorite spot? An ancient sarcophagus she keeps handy to protect her from all the evil spirits lurking about the museum at night. Most of the Egyptian items are covered with curses, and Theo is working to remove the curses and protect her parents and the other museum workers from evil. Really fun read!… (more)
    The Calder Game by Blue Balliett (Anonymous user)
    Flight of the Doves by Walter Macken (bookel)
    The Law of Gravity by Johanna Hurwitz (muumi)
    muumi: In The Law of Gravity (aka What Goes Up Must Come Down) Margo Green and her friend Bernie visit the MMA and make sure to search out 'the bed that Claudia slept in, in the movie'. It's quite a suitable literary pilgrimage, because What Goes Up is another delightful book set in Manhattan, with another heroine determined to change her own life.… (more)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart, witty and clever kids!
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (Ciruelo)
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    Secrets of the Shopping Mall by Richard Peck (bookel)
    The Lancelot Closes at Five by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat (bookel)
    The hideaway summer (Republished as: The hideaway) by Beverly Hollett Renner (bookel)
    Father's Arcane Daughter, or My Father's Daughter by E. L. Konigsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Like many others of her books, this one---my favorite---should be read by adults as well as children.
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: clever children abound
    Mystery in the Flooded Museum by Margaret Goff Clark (bookel)
    The Hideout by Eve Bunting (bookel)

This story is about a young girl named Claudia who wants to run away. She runs away to the Metropolitan Museum and has the best adventures.
Coming of age of girls

4-6 ( )
  hatease | Dec 1, 2014 |
Loved this book as a child! ( )
  marymargaretworley | Nov 30, 2014 |
It has been many years since I read this, but I still have warm memories of the adventure it touched in my heart. This book did more to excite me about history than all the textbooks I ever studied. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 18, 2014 |
(6.8)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
I loved this book! It had adventure and mystery. I never read it as a child but as a student teacher I feel it would be a great book for students to read. Since children are the main characters in the book it would be easy for students to relate to the characters. I believe students would be so curious as to what happens next. There is a suspense factor of whether or not they will ever be caught. This would be a good book to suggest students read during silent reading or at home. I would love to read it as a class too! ( )
  HeatherSilva | Sep 23, 2014 |

E. L. Konigsburgprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clayburgh, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miner, JanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To David, with love and pluses
To my lawyer, Saxonberg:

I can't say that I enjoyed your last visit. (Prologue)
Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away.
"Secrets are the kind of adventure she needs. Secrets are safe, and they do much to make you different." p.150.
Two suburban children run away from their Connecticut home and go to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, where their ingenuity enables them to live in luxury.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711816, Paperback)

After reading this book, I guarantee that you will never visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (or any wonderful, old cavern of a museum) without sneaking into the bathrooms to look for Claudia and her brother Jamie. They're standing on the toilets, still, hiding until the museum closes and their adventure begins. Such is the impact of timeless novels . . . they never leave us. E. L. Konigsburg won the 1967 Newbery Medal for this tale of how Claudia and her brother run away to the museum in order to teach their parents a lesson. Little do they know that mystery awaits!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:16 -0400)

Having run away with her younger brother to live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, twelve-year-old Claudia strives to keep things in order in their new home and to become a changed person and a heroine to herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,460,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible