From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E.…

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (original 1967; edition 2002)

by E. L. Konigsburg

8,843203341 (4.16)1 / 241
Member:rgruberexcel
Title:From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Authors:E. L. Konigsburg
Info:Simon Pulse 2002-10-01 (2002), Paperback
Tags:grade 5, S-T, realistic fiction

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (1967)

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (infiniteletters)
    The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These books share an imaginative, adventurous quality, with compelling young characters. The plots/settings are very different, but they have some thematic similarities.
    Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (bell7)
    Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett (infiniteletters)
    The Calder Game by Blue Balliett (Anonymous user)
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Another great book that centers around a museum. This one is about Theo, a girl whose parents are curators. Most of the time her parents get so wrapped up in their work that Theo ends up spending the night in the museum. Her favorite spot? An ancient sarcophagus she keeps handy to protect her from all the evil spirits lurking about the museum at night. Most of the Egyptian items are covered with curses, and Theo is working to remove the curses and protect her parents and the other museum workers from evil. Really fun read!… (more)
    The Law of Gravity by Johanna Hurwitz (muumi)
    muumi: In The Law of Gravity (aka What Goes Up Must Come Down) Margo Green and her friend Bernie visit the MMA and make sure to search out 'the bed that Claudia slept in, in the movie'. It's quite a suitable literary pilgrimage, because What Goes Up is another delightful book set in Manhattan, with another heroine determined to change her own life.… (more)
    Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein (Ciruelo)
    Flight of the Doves by Walter Macken (bookel)
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms (The Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventures) by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    Secrets of the Shopping Mall by Richard Peck (bookel)
    The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (jbarry)
    jbarry: Smart, witty and clever kids!
    Liar & Spy by Rebecca Stead (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: While intelligent young people in New York City have unusual adventures that revolve around mysteries -- Liar's Georges spies on neighbors; Claudia hides out in the Metropolitan Museum of Art -- their observations, conversations, emotions and experiences are entirely convincing.… (more)
    The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (jbarry)
    jbarry: clever children abound
    The Lancelot Closes at Five by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat (bookel)
    Mystery in the Flooded Museum by Margaret Goff Clark (bookel)
    Hideaway by Beverly Hollett Renner (bookel)
    The Hideout by Eve Bunting (bookel)
    Father's Arcane Daughter, or My Father's Daughter by E. L. Konigsburg (raizel)
    raizel: Like many others of her books, this one---my favorite---should be read by adults as well as children.

Summary:
From the Mixed- up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg is a Newbery Award Winning book. It is about Claudia and Jamie Kincaid, brother and sister. They run away from home to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Claudia felt unappreciated by her parents and wanted to prove a point to them and her brother comes with her. They decide to live in the museum and carefully outsmart the guards for a week. They have many adventures inside of the museum and many things amaze them. Except, there is one thing they crave to discover, a sculpture by the name of “Angel.” A controversy and mystery of who sculpted it, that they plan to solve. The children try to find Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, who had sold the sculpture to the museum to help find out who created the sculpture.

Personal reaction:
I enjoyed this book. The sibling rivalry was entertaining to read, I grew up with my brother and I can relate to the silly fights. There is a lot of suspense; the story keeps you on your toes, wandering if they will get caught. The illustrations had a lot of feel to them with the dramatic facial expressions and dark grayscale colors. The free hand sketchy style shows a lot of emotion, this emphasizes the plot of wanting to be appreciated, mystery, fear and suspense. The author uses great descriptive literary devices for example, “Your eyes are beautiful. They’re like looking into a kaleidoscope- the way those golden flecks in them keep catching the light.” This is a very well written book for older children to enjoy.

Classroom extensions:
1. Teach the children the importance of family and sticking together. Also teach them the importance of honoring your parents, respecting them and listening to them.
2. Teach children how to count money and how to save money.
3. Have a lesson on teamwork and unity.
4. Teach different form of art and art jargon. ( )
  Robyn7 | Jul 25, 2016 |
I haven't read this book since I was a kid, but it's one I remember loving when I was younger (who wouldn't want to run away and live in a museum? I slept overnight in a museum once with my girl scout troop and it was so much fun!). I also remember loving the movie based off the book. From internet research, I have discovered that everyone seems to hate the movie version I saw. I also discovered that my favorite part of the (apparently terrible) movie isn't in the book at all! This was all a great shock to me, I'll tell you! My childhood was just flipped upside-down! LOL

As for the book this time around, it was a lot of fun. The children were definitely my focus when I was a kid, but now that I'm an adult, I enjoyed things both from Mrs. Frankweiler's perspective and the children's as well. And the little twist at the end was quite lovely (something I didn't remember). I loved the careful, detailed planning that went into the successful running away attempt. No one could have pulled it off the way Claudia and her brother, Jamie, did. It was fun to watch them figure things out like how to elude the museum guards, how to pay for meals, and where to sleep at night (thank goodness for comfortable, historic old beds!). All over again, I was wrapped up in the mystery of the Angel sculpture--who created her, really?

I was so happy to find this stood up to the test of time (even if my favorite bit apparently doesn't exist in it). I would happily go on the adventure again with them in the future, too. ( )
  katekintail | Jul 9, 2016 |
It's a different experience, reading this as an adult, with a lot more books under my belt. Two things stood out for me this time - 1. why did they never have to dodge the janitor, esp. of the bathroom? and 2. what kind of story would it have been without the mystery of the Angel & could a simpler story about a couple of runaways, one seeking to Become and one seeking a little adventure, have been successful?

In fact, if you know a good story about kids who run away more from issues of the psyche than from abuse, please comment below. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
From the Mixed files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler is a great book about 2 kids, Claudia and Jamie. They run away from home but they don't travel without a plan. They live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan! Will they get caught, or will they solve one of the biggest mysteries in the museum? I liked this this book because it was fun to see how two kids could possibly survive in such a guarded museum. It was also funny to see how their lifestyle was while they lived at the museum. It actually didn't seem to bad. I would recommend this book to people who like stories about funny children. ( )
  AlexH09 | May 23, 2016 |
This book is about a young girl of the young age of 11, who had a good life, a loving home and loving family but felt like she was not appreciated. She devised a plan to runaway to the Metropolitan Museum of Art but knew that she would only be able to do so with the help of her younger brother. She had some money but he had a lot of money, her brother never spent his money. So after making the trip to the museum and using the limited but resourceful skills that they had by bathing in the fountain, using someones wishes from the wishing well and hiding from employees at night Claudia and her brother Jamie felt right at home in the museum. They explored every inch of the museum and where right at home until they discovered the statue that had recently been brought to the museum. No one knew who the artist was and Claudia and Jamie had to know,they researched and researched and still no luck, so off to the sellers home they when. Mrs. Frankweiler knew they moment that she saw Claudia and Jamie that they were runaways, so they deal was made, they researched her crazy, organized files to find the artists name and she would give them a ride home in her fancy car and upon her passing would leave them the file that their great adventure had taken them on.

I can relate to the book through events in my own life. I have been married and divorced and felt absolutely useless, not appreciated at all. I felt like I had to run away in order to find myself. In the course of my life I have ran away so to speak many times. Every time something would go wrong in my life I would move thinking that I had to find something to fill that void when in reality I just needed to spot, take a breath and look in the mirror and find the one staring back at me.

I can relate this story to my kids by talking about a new item in the class room and how cool it is and how it is the best thing ever but explaining that I don't know anything about it, that I can't use it because I don't know. Explain to the kids that we could go on a super fun scavenger hunt and see if we could find the person who bought it and see if they knew how to use it. Build this person up, talk about the possibilities of the person being a queen or a princess or a super hero and then let the hunt begin. Let the kids talk about the possibilities that the purchaser and the object hold and then once they find the purchaser and realize that it is someone that they see every day, such as a teacher or a coach, talk to them see if they are still excited or if they are disappointed and why? Explain to them that the hunt may have been fun but sometimes the end result isn't that cool, kind of like Claudia and Jamie running away, it was fun for awhile but in the end they still had to go home.
  morgan_817 | Apr 20, 2016 |

E. L. Konigsburgprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clayburgh, JillNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miner, JanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

To David, with love and pluses
To my lawyer, Saxonberg:

I can't say that I enjoyed your last visit. (Prologue)
Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old-fashioned kind of running away.
"Secrets are the kind of adventure she needs. Secrets are safe, and they do much to make you different." p.150.
Two suburban children run away from their Connecticut home and go to New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, where their ingenuity enables them to live in luxury.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689711816, Paperback)

After reading this book, I guarantee that you will never visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (or any wonderful, old cavern of a museum) without sneaking into the bathrooms to look for Claudia and her brother Jamie. They're standing on the toilets, still, hiding until the museum closes and their adventure begins. Such is the impact of timeless novels . . . they never leave us. E. L. Konigsburg won the 1967 Newbery Medal for this tale of how Claudia and her brother run away to the museum in order to teach their parents a lesson. Little do they know that mystery awaits!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

Having run away with her younger brother to live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, twelve-year-old Claudia strives to keep things in order in their new home and to become a changed person and a heroine to herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,511,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible