Defending Elysium by Brandon Sanderson

Defending Elysium

by Brandon Sanderson

6None1,259,452 (4.3)None

From my blog:

Defending Elysium by Brandon Sanderson is one of the novelettes included in his con exclusive book. I was so excited when I showed up at a booth to get autographs on my other Sanderson books and I discovered that I could buy another Sanderson title! Obviously I had to buy it immediately and add it to the pile of books I was getting signed. Fortunately there wasn’t a limit! And then I had something to read while waiting in line :D. Though I actually spend the line-waiting talking to other fans and being asked if Steelheart was for sale at the con >.> (I had my ARC of it and felt a little awkward after that….). Anyway! This collection of (two) novelettes starts off with a lovely preface with some background on when Sanderson was writing these novelettes (before he published his big and mighty books!). They are both sci-fi stories that show off just how humorous Sanderson’s imagination can get!
Note: I purchased Defending Elysium at GenCon.

Strengths:
I’m always impressed when a piece of fiction shorter than a novel is able to throw in plot twists. How is there enough room in Defending Elysium for me to get invested in one perspective enough to be surprised by a plot twist? I don’t know, but there is!
One of the things I really look for in my sci-fi is tough philosophical questions. Defending Elysium definitely delivers on that front, given the more advanced alien societies to compare against our own. (And more, but I don’t want to spoil it ;-) )
Defending Elysium also manages to fit in two points-of-view which end up being fairly entertaining. One of the characters makes some assumptions that we as the reader know are false, and I just couldn’t help but chuckle at his train of thought!

Weaknesses:
Sanderson of course introduces an interesting new power/technology, but the novelette length just didn’t have room to explain much about it. I like being thrown in to a world and forced to slowly understand how things work, but if the story ends before I grasp the magic system, I’m sad. I really want Defending Elysium to be expanded with another story so that I can get more of an idea of how these mind powers work.
On a similar note, when you move from world-building to universe-building (because of the space travel and all), there is a lot of room to explore. Can we explore more now please?

Summary:
I enjoy Defending Elysium for the clever plot twists, interesting philosophical question, and the brief glimpse of what looks like a cool and complicated new technology. In the end though, I just wanted more! And I felt that Defending Elysium could have easily been turned into a full novel of awesomeness, so why not? ( )
1 vote anyaejo | Sep 7, 2013 |
Phone Company FTL dissident suppression decision.

http://notfreesf.blogspot.com/2008/10/defending-elysium-brandon-sanderson.html ( )
  bluetyson | Oct 4, 2008 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,482,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible