dismiss

The Crown Conspiracy

by Michael J. Sullivan

Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles until they become the unwitting scapegoats in the murder of the king. Sentenced to death, they have only one way out.

English (36)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
This book reads quickly, but doesn't suffer for it in quality. And the end leaves me curious to see what happens next. ( )
  JonOwnbey | May 28, 2020 |
Sullivan described his writings goals for the Riyria Revelations to include a simple, "invisible" prose, and familiar, established fantasy tropes. He argues that the latter fits like a well-worn glove, helping the audience to focus on the characters and the plot. I think he's succeeded with this first installment. It's a simple, quick-paced story with a few surprising twists. It's pure fun, and that's all it was meant to be. ( )
  peterbmacd | May 17, 2020 |
This is unusual, for me--I had read this book before, and then forgot ... and kept remembering that I wanted to read it, and imagining that one day I would, without recollecting that I actually had. So last week as I sat down to read it, I actually re-read it. (Either that, or I've just suffered the world's strangest continuous case of deja-vu).

And the headline is, this is NOT a forgettable book--I really, really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next one. It's almost tailor-made for me (violence not too grisly, there are charming, plucky, likable characters (Myron the shut-in cleric in particular), the plot proceeds to a satisfying conclusion with a few twists and turns along the way.

I may never be able to explain why I forgot reading it, but I can explain why only 4 stars and not 5. I knocked half a point off for being a bit derivative in terms of character types and plot turns (there's a wicked uncle--shocker!), armies arrive in the nick of time, etc, and another half point off for being a bit inconguously modern every so often (it's the kind of writing where a character might sit on a couch in the King's waiting room, and I'd be saying to myself "they didn't have either back in pseudo-medieval times, and if they did, they didn't call them that). But that sort of thing bothers Ursula K. LeGuin more than me, so only half a point off there.

If you liked The Lies of Locke Lamora but are willing to accept a slightly-less-sterling substitute during the years in between its sequels, or you enjoy Joe Ambercrombie but think he'd be improved if his plots were somewhat less grim, give this a whirl. It's essentially a good-buddies-inadvertently-end-up-on-a-quest kind of story, and while not trailblazing, it's a fun, worthwhile example of the subgenre.
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
I loved this book!! I thought I'd get at least a week of reading out of it but I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to get the second in this series. Well written, fast paced, and humorous. I'm in love with Hadrian and Royce. As soon as I can sneak another into the house book without a certain someone noticing how many have come through the door lately, I'm going to read the second.
My daughter is enjoying it (She's 10, nearly 11)and has read the first chapter already. Anyone who likes Lord of the Rings type stories will enjoy this. In fact, anyone who likes a book that moves very quickly, with lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing right until the end, will love this story. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
This book is a neat little Fantasy adventure. It reminded me of "The Lies of Locke Lamora" and Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books.

While the author played on well-established Fantasy tropes (like typical elves and dwarves) he also introduced a number of clever and original ideas and situations.

The use of modern American dialect made the world feel more casual and less historically rooted, as did the references to foods like maple syrup and potatoes (which were brought to Europe from the Americas long after the Medieval period). This probably sounds like a criticism, but honestly the light tone made the novel more of an escapist experience than more realistic Fantasy I've read. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
To my wife, Robin, (my biggest fan, critic, contributer, and publicist)
whose hard work and dedication made it all possible.

And to my daughter, Sarah, who would not read
the story until published.
Archibald Ballentyne held the world in his hands, conveniently contained within fifteen stolen letters.

In The Crown Conspiracy Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles until they become the unwitting scapegoats in a plot to murder the king. Sentenced to death, they have only one way out…and so begins this epic tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend. The writing style focuses on characters and plot rather than verbose world building. This first book of the Riyria Revelations is a heroic adventure written for adult readers yet suitable for those 13 and older.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,126,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible