The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan

English (34)  Dutch (1)  All (35)
I loved this book!! I thought I'd get at least a week of reading out of it but I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to get the second in this series. Well written, fast paced, and humorous. I'm in love with Hadrian and Royce. As soon as I can sneak another into the house book without a certain someone noticing how many have come through the door lately, I'm going to read the second.
My daughter is enjoying it (She's 10, nearly 11)and has read the first chapter already. Anyone who likes Lord of the Rings type stories will enjoy this. In fact, anyone who likes a book that moves very quickly, with lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing right until the end, will love this story. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
This book is a neat little Fantasy adventure. It reminded me of "The Lies of Locke Lamora" and Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books.

While the author played on well-established Fantasy tropes (like typical elves and dwarves) he also introduced a number of clever and original ideas and situations.

The use of modern American dialect made the world feel more casual and less historically rooted, as did the references to foods like maple syrup and potatoes (which were brought to Europe from the Americas long after the Medieval period). This probably sounds like a criticism, but honestly the light tone made the novel more of an escapist experience than more realistic Fantasy I've read. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
I picked up The Crown Conspiracy on the Kindle for .99 because I was looking for a fun, light-hearted fantasy novel. I was not disappointed. I would describe it as a lighter Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser, more akin to books by David Eddings, Terry Brooks, or Katherine Kurtz. You know the kind I mean, stories where the characters talk like us but wear period costumes and use magic.

I know that some fantasy readers turn their noses up at such novels, but sometimes I just want to settle in for the night with an imaginative story that has a quick-paced plot and quick-witted characters, never mind the literary pretensions. And that's exactly what you get with The Crown Conspiracy. Sure, the dialogue is a little artificial at times, but the pace is good, the twists keep you guessing, and the characters are fun to hang around with.

I especially recommend this for junior high students looking for a fun, quick read. I've already praised it to my 8th grade students, and I'll be looking for a copy to add to my classroom library.

I am tempted to give this four stars, because it was so fun, but I'm going to stick with three because it lacks a certain style and polish. However, I have a feeling the rest of the books in the series are only going to improve on this solid start, so I'll be giving the next book a try. ( )
  nsenger | May 23, 2014 |
I listened to this on audio, and I fear it may have affected my opinion of it. I really wanted to like it, but found that I was underwhelmed. But a lot of that had to do with the reading of it.. The reader just wasn't my cup of tea. I tried hard to separate the story from the reader, but it was hard not to let the story become a little tainted.

Overall it was a nice little story.. But it seemed a little generic to me. Thieves, assassinations, a quest, a mysterious powerful wizard, been there and done that. That said, I'm usually a fan of plots like that. I happen to like a lot of traditional fantasy. But this one just didn't do it for me, for whatever reason.

Two stars for now (keep in mind two stars means I thought it was "ok", it's not as bad as it sounds), although I'd like to someday go back and actually read it to see if I like it more in print. I am planning on continuing on in the series, but no more audio for me. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
To my wife, Robin, (my biggest fan, critic, contributer, and publicist)
whose hard work and dedication made it all possible.

And to my daughter, Sarah, who would not read
the story until published.
Archibald Ballentyne held the world in his hands, conveniently contained within fifteen stolen letters.

In The Crown Conspiracy Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles until they become the unwitting scapegoats in a plot to murder the king. Sentenced to death, they have only one way out…and so begins this epic tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend. The writing style focuses on characters and plot rather than verbose world building. This first book of the Riyria Revelations is a heroic adventure written for adult readers yet suitable for those 13 and older.

THEY KILLED THE KING. THEY PINNED IT ON TWO MEN. THEY CHOSE POORLY
There is no ancient evil to defeat, no orphan destined for greatness, just two guys in the wrong place at the wrong time. Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles until they become the unwitting scapegoats in a plot to murder the king. Sentenced to death, they have only one way out...and so begins this tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend.

ABOUT THE SERIES
The Crown Conspiracy is the first book in the captivating Riyria Revelations. Instead of a string of sequels this six-book fantasy series was conceived as a single epic tale divided into individual episodes. All were written before the first was released so that plot elements are intertwined, yet each book has its only story and conclusion.

Originally indie published, the series was purchased by Orbit (fantasy imprint of Hachette Book Group) and will be released as a trilogy in three consecutive months starting in November 2011. The original books are now out of print, but you can get The Crown Conspiracy by purchasing Theft of Swords.

OMNIBUS EDITIONS (Orbit Publishing)
Theft of Swords (November 2011) contains The Crown Conspiracy & Avempartha
Rise of Empire (December 2011) contains Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm
Heir of Novron (January 2012) contains Wintertide & Percepliquis

BOOKS OF THE RIYRIA REVELATIONS (First Edition Versions - Out of Print)
The Crown Conspiracy (October 2008)
Avempartha (April 2009)
Nyphron Rising (October 2009)
The Emerald Storm (April 2010)
Wintertide (October 2010)
Percepliquis* (January 2012)

*Will be released as a standalone limited edition coinciding with Heir of Novron release to allow for completion of series in its original format.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:57 -0400)

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,208,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible