Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

Harriet the Spy (1964)

by Louise Fitzhugh

Recently added byxuesheng, driko, Ray.Gun, ShouldIReadIt, private library, strongasanoak, Lexistar08, JanesList

This was a fun read. I was shocked by the straight-forward entries in Harriet's notebooks, and her innocence. I haven't read this book as child, and I think if I have, I wouldn't see those entries as shocking, but rather honest and funny. This book has good lessons, and bad ones. The good was the importance of friendship, and the lessons Ole Golly has taught Harriet, which are both street-smart and book-smart. The bad was the mean notebook entries and the message that Harriet gets what Harriet wants, even when demonstrating bad behavior. Nonetheless, it was a fun read. ( )
  Emanbella | Aug 27, 2014 |
It's funny how different you read a book as an adult than when you were a child. As a kid I felt so bad for poor Harriet, what with her mean classmates invading her privacy and reading her journal... As an adult... Harriet is a brat. She is mean, spoiled, negative and has horrible things to say about those around her. However it's pretty obvious that, like most children, she is a product of her parents who sit around the dinner table insulting all of her friend's parents each night. It's really no wonder she doesn't write kindly, however she never truly learns that lesson, either! She simply learns to lie about her friends and continue to insult those on her spy route!

That being said, this book inspired me as a child. It made me want to write, and it still has that effect on me. However, I wouldn't want my child to strive to be like Harriet... just try one of her screaming sessions in my house... ( )
1 vote KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Ole Golly. ( )
  beckydj | Jun 5, 2014 |
This is the story of a young girl named Harriet and how she wishes to be a spy. She observes the things that go on in her neighborhood and takes notes. Eventually, she tries to solve a mystery, which may or may not land her in trouble.

This is a fun book for 3-5 graders to read. It is captivating for young readers because you never know what Harriet will get into next. ( )
  breksarah | Apr 24, 2014 |
I am sad I didn't read this as a child. Harriet is exactly the kind of precocious character I loved to read about. Harriet is interested in everything. She is going to be a writer and is practicing by keeping a spy journal. When she loses it one day and the people she's been writing about see the cruel things she writes about them, including her best friends Sport and Janie, they start a Spy Catchers Club to make Harriet's life miserable. Harriet is a bit of a jerk and can be very unkind and retaliates out of anger and embarrassment, but what kid isn't a jerk sometimes? This is a great book for any kid who has ever done something they are sorry for and any kid who has felt rejected or like an outcast. This is a great classic that stands the test of time. ( )
  Anna.Nash | Mar 18, 2014 |
Harriet was trying to explain to Sport how to play town.
[Harriet] hated math. She hated math with every bone in her body. She spent so much time hating it that she never had time to do it.
This is the book, not the movie.

Harrriet M Welsch is a spy. She's staked out a spy route, and she writes down everything about everyone she sees, including her classmates and even her best friends. From Harriet's notebooks: I bet the lady with the crosks-eye looks in the mirror and feels just terrible. Pinky Whitehead will never change, does his mother hate him? If I had him, I'd hate him. If Marion Hawthorne doesn't watch out she's going to grow up into a lady Hitler. Then Harriet loses track of her notebook, and it ends up in the wrong hands. Before Harriet can stop them, her friends have read the always truthful, sometimes awful things she's written about each of them. Will Harriet find a way to put her life and her friendships back together? (0-440-41679-5)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440416795, Paperback)

Ages 8-12. Thirty-two years before it was made into a movie, Harriet the Spy was a groundbreaking book: its unflinchingly honest portrayal of childhood problems and emotions changed children's literature forever. Happily, it has neither dated nor become obsolete and remains one of the best children's novels ever written. The fascinating story is about an intensely curious and intelligent girl, who literally spies on people and writes about them in her secret notebook, trying to make sense of life's absurdities. When her classmates find her notebook and read her painfully blunt comments about them, Harriet finds herself a lonely outcast. Fitzhugh's writing is astonishingly vivid, real and engaging, and Harriet, by no means a typical, loveable heroine, is one of literature's most unforgettable characters. School Library Journal wrote, "a tour de force... bursts with life." The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books called it "a very, very funny story." And The Chicago Tribune raved, "brilliantly written... a superb portrait of an extraordinary child."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:36 -0400)

Eleven-year-old Harriet keeps notes on her classmates and neighbors in a secret notebook, but when some of the students read the notebook, they seek revenge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,966,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible