GURPS Basic Set: Generic Universal Roleplaying System

by Steve Jackson

-- One of the best-selling roleplaying systems for more than a decade, and still getting stronger...currently ranked #3 by Comics Retailer Magazine.-- Winner of both the Origins Award and Gamer's Choice Award for Best Roleplaying Game!-- Written by Steve Jackson, one of the best-known names in roleplaying.GURPS, the Generic Universal RolePlaying System, is the most flexible roleplaying system you can use. One set of rules that works for all genres. Adventure in any world you can think of. It's easy to learn...you can jump right in with quick-start rules, pre-designed characters, and an easy-to-play solo adventure.… (more)

Probably the most successful attempt so far to create a generic rulebook that can be used with any setting. I like it because it has a lot of specialized setting books I enjoy --Lensman, Krishna, etc. as well as Rome, Viking etc. ( )
  antiquary | Jul 18, 2014 |
Within the myriad of rule systems GURPS is probably the most well balanced and clear. Rules are logically built on other rules and from the most fundamental axioms the foundations are solid. The rule book is also an easy read with terms being explained at the appropriate points and not after they've already been used a few times. It quickly becomes apparent how this system can be used for a wide variety of settings and scenarios. Quite frankly it is probably due to a lack of advertising that this system hasn't become what D&D became.

Of course this rule set has it's own fundamental assumptions on what makes a good RPG. In the world of GURPS you will find fatally flawed characters as well as highly overpowered super-beings. This as opposed to a class based system where you will always have the druid, the paladin, the bard, etc. It's all a question of taste and how you see character building and development.

If you want to build your own world with it's own narrative physics then start with this as your guideline. ( )
  TheCriticalTimes | Aug 15, 2013 |
This is a printing of the 3rd edition of the "Generic Universal RolePlaying System" (GURPS).

The name says it all. This puppy can allow you to roleplay just about any setting or genre. Not perfectly, but then what can?

I have some personal discontents with the system it's self, but then my opinion tends to be that any roleplaying game I haven't tinkered with myself needs some improvement so I won't bore you with the details here. Those who actually care to know can seek out my contact information.

Still, even barring those elements I'm dissatisfied with, this game really gives it the old college try at being thorough, trying to think of every combination of abilities you might possibly want to have interact.

One of the reasons I've rated this book as low as I have is that a newer edition has come out which provides significant improvements over this one. I mainly keep this book around out of nostalgia and because the shape of my copy makes re-sale a sketchy proposition.

However, I proudly admit that I refer to the old genre supplements for this game to this very day to help flesh out totally unrelated games.

- Peter K. ( )
  Kisners42 | Jul 6, 2007 |
I like this RPG because you can play ANY genre with the same basic set of rules. ( )
  GrinningDwarf | Nov 11, 2006 |

Jackson, Steveprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Steve Jackson Gamessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

GURPS (6022)

Belongs to Publisher Series

SJG01995 6022 (softcover)
SJG02995 6031 (hardcover)
Please note that GURPS 3rd edition is distinct from GURPS 4th edition and the rulebooks should NOT be combined. There was a major overhaul of the rules from 3rd to 4th so that while they are thematically the same, they are not actually the same.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,531,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible