Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson

Chasing Lincoln's Killer (original 2009; edition 2009)

by James L. Swanson

Member:Dgryan1
Title:Chasing Lincoln's Killer
Authors:James L. Swanson
Info:Scholastic Press (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 208 pages

Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson (2009)

This was a great read about the conspiracy that led to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. I had no idea about some of the details that led up to his death, like that he there were a whole slew of people that were in on the assassination, and that more people than just Lincoln were targeted that night. There are lots of photographs of the people involved, newspaper articles from April 14, 1865, and an actual picture of the hangings of four people that were involved. I learned a lot from this book, and it got me interested in researching more about this subject. ( )
  amyghilton | Jul 27, 2016 |
Chas­ing Lincoln’s Killer by James L. Swan­son is a young adult book about the search for Jon Wilkes Booth and his accom­plices after the assas­si­na­tion of Pres­i­dent Lincoln.

I read Chas­ing Lincoln’s Killer by James L. Swan­son because my daughter’s class was read­ing it in prepa­ra­tion for their class trip to Wash­ing­ton DC. They read it as a class, but my daugh­ter liked it so much she bought the book in the school’s book fair. I make an effort to try and read the same books my kids do (it’s harder now that they’re older) so we can dis­cuss them and, of course, to make sure they’re age appropriate.

The book is straight for­ward and presents the infor­ma­tion in small, easy to swal­low chunks. Mr. Swan­son makes sec­tions inter­est­ing and engag­ing as not to lose an audi­ence which grew up with a screen in front of their faces.

I enjoyed this book very much, and so the many of the kids in the 5th grade class. I liked how the author incor­po­rated Lewis Pow­ell’s assas­si­na­tion attempt of William Seward, the how John Wilkes Booth man­aged to escape to Mary­land due to a com­edy of errors, after his assas­si­na­tion of Pres­i­dent Lin­coln.

While his­tory is much more com­plex and grey then pre­sented here, con­sid­er­ing the intended audi­ence I believe the author did a fan­tas­tic job pre­sent­ing the infor­ma­tion. The book incor­po­rates pic­tures and pho­tographs to aid the story.

For more reviews and bookish posts please visit http://www.ManOfLaBook.com ( )
  ZoharLaor | Feb 21, 2016 |
Excellent biography, good and faced paced. Couldn't put it down ( )
  umbiela | Feb 16, 2016 |
Excellent! Exciting non-fiction reading with a little bit of real gore. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
A young adult book that details the search for John Wilkes Booth and his accomplices after Lincoln is killed and Seward attacked and injured. I knew most of the information from reading Killing Lincoln in the past, but I found this book presented the information in a more straightforward way that made it easier to remember. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
Prologue: It looked like a bad day for photographers.

Based on rare archival material, obscure trial manuscripts, and interviews with relatives of the conspirators and the manhunters, CHASING LINCOLN'S KILLER is a fast-paced thriller about the pursuit and capture of John Wilkes Booth: a wild twelve-day chase through the streets of Washington, D.C., across the swamps of Maryland, and into the forests of Virginia.

"This story is true. All the characters are real and were alive during the great manhunt of April 1865. Their words are authentic and come from original sources: letters, manuscripts, trial transcripts, newspapers, government reports, pamphlets, books and other documents. What happened in Washington, D.C., that spring, and in the swamps and rivers, forests and fields of Maryland and Virginia during the next twelve days, is far too incredible to have been made up."

So begins this fast-paced thriller that tells the story of the pursuit and capture of John Wilkes Booth and gives a day-by-day account of the wild chase to find this killer and his accomplices. Based on James Swanson's bestselling adult book MANHUNT: THE 12-DAY CHASE FOR LINCOLN'S KILLER, this young people's version is an accessible look at the assassination of a president, and shows readers Abraham Lincoln the man, the father, the husband, the friend, and how his death impacted those closest to him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:20 -0400)

Recounts the escape of John Wilkes Booth, Abraham Lincoln's assassin, and follows the intensive twelve-day search for him and his accomplices.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,310,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible