INSIDE THE THIRD REICH Memoirs by Albert…

INSIDE THE THIRD REICH Memoirs (edition 1970)

by Albert Speer, Eugene Davidson (Preface), Sam Sloan (Foreword)

Member:ggarsk
Title:INSIDE THE THIRD REICH Memoirs
Authors:Albert Speer
Other authors:Eugene Davidson (Preface), Sam Sloan (Foreword)
Info:The Macmillan company

Inside the Third Reich: Memoirs by Albert Speer

20th century (24) Albert Speer (23) architecture (19) autobiography (74) biography (96) Europe (18) European History (23) fascism (11) German (20) German History (43) Germany (145) history (319) Hitler (55) Holocaust (24) memoir (112) military (14) military history (25) Nazi (37) Nazi Germany (26) Nazis (27) Nazism (54) non-fiction (98) politics (16) read (14) Speer (15) Third Reich (57) to-read (10) unread (15) war (17) WWII (324)

English (13)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (16)
Speer's memoir of his life during the Third Reich is an extremely dull read. The first half, when he was only Hitler's architect, has him going over buildings in minute detail, with hardly anything else mentioned. When he becomes Minister of Armaments, he totally shifts interest to citing figures on production of material, and how he criticized the Reich leadership for their ineptitude in fighting the war. He spends copious amounts of time repeating that the various leaders and their infighting stalled production, and ruined Germany's chances for the war. He also spends a good portion of the book describing his meetings with Hitler. However, these were daily occurances, and Speer seems to want to recall every note and memorandum he sent to Hitler for his approval. Only at the end of the book when he describes his time post-Hitler and his captivity under the Allies is the book get interesting. Other than that, it is a rather dreary look at the Third Reich. ( )
  kaiser_matias | Jul 7, 2014 |
This is an essential source of information on Hitler and World War II. Speer began as an architect for Hitler, himself absorbed with architecture from early manhood, who advanced to be head of all German war materials. The photographs - and they are plentiful - are testimony themselves to Speer's access to the German leader. He spent his 20 year in prison writing this memoir. Reviewers properly look for lapses and shading ot the truth, and it may well be there, but it is largely an accurate account. ( )
  carterchristian1 | Dec 17, 2011 |
I want to keep my distance from a work like this because although I feel Speer is mostly an honest narrator, his clear, somewhat banal account of the Third Reich, Hitler, and his own activities read like a generic memoir, somehow perverting the madness of the time—the destruction, inhuman cruelty, and the quest for absolute power. By giving us this account, Speer affirms that for the most part the atrocities of the the Third Reich were carried out by otherwise normal, almost boring men, like himself, who were tasked with a mission and carried it out to the best of their abilities. (Speer affirms this view on page 344, when he talks of an article in The Observer that spoke of him as the leader of a highly efficient, impersonal technocracy.) My fear is that this is not a sufficiently emotional account to teach us anything. It gives us an inside look, yes, but it is so self absorbed that we lose the broader view of the war's effects. We miss the sufferings of millions because we are tangled in Speer's account of day-to-day travels, power struggles within the regime, and the stubborn madness of Hitler.

Could this memoir be anything else? Should it be? Probably not. I just can't help but feel that Speer's last sacrifice should be to accept alienation, where his memoirs, like his architecture, become lost to that time. ( )
  mofoty | Nov 7, 2011 |
Albert Speer was Hitler's architect and Minister of Arms and Munitions. He was close to Hitler and gives us a glimpse of the man through his life in the years 1933 through 1945. The author wrote this memoir while serving his sentence for war crimes in Spandau prison. A sentence he agreed he deserved though he claims he did not know of the final solution. I will leave that to the reader too decide.

Speer shares what he saw as Hitler's likable traits and as a man who was capable and devoted but later or perhaps reflection in prison Speer felt these traits may have been only superficial. The work Speer did during WWII for the Third Reich was essential for the war machine to function. He claims he did not know that his friend was committing genocide but he willing used the slave labor provided for his factories.

It is mainly a book of the daily routine of the man that shared tea with Hitler and the bureaucracy that was the Third Reich. A bureaucracy that Speer knew how to handle quite well and prospered in. What it took to operate in this government is expressed in detail. The insight on how one could operate in such a regime and be successful in the construction and requisition projects that Speer was involved in. Some may fine these parts too detailed but they give us an insight on the inner workings of the regime.

As in all relationships his view of Hitler changed over time as did his view of the man. But a man is what we are shown through the eyes of the author. Though Speer admits that his country committed war crimes and he took responsibility for his part by accepting the sentence of twenty years he never apologized. As you read I feel he felt though he had a part that he was made a to pay the penalty for those who were either dead or escaped. To his credit at the end of WWII Speer did try and block some of Hitlers policy of total destruction of cities and infrastructure as the Third Reich collapsed around them. ( )
1 vote hermit | Nov 26, 2010 |
Although I am still reading this book, I am finding that it presents me with new information and views of Hitler and Hitler's Germany through the eyes of Albert Speer, a favorite architect of Hitler. Considering that I have been working on this topic for oh, 25 years as a German teacher, that says a lot. It is like a look inside of another world. ( )
1 vote peterschmidta | Jul 20, 2010 |

Albert Speerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, EugeneIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maffi, EnrichettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maffi, QuirinoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winston, ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winston, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some of my forefathers were Swabians, some came from poor peasants of the Westerwald, others from Silesia and Westphalia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684829495, Paperback)

From 1946 to 1966, while serving the prison sentence handed down from the Nuremburg War Crimes tribunal, Albert Speer penned 1,200 manuscript pages of personal memoirs. Titled Erinnerungen ("Recollections") upon their 1969 publication in German, Speer's critically acclaimed personal history was translated into English and published one year later as Inside the Third Reich. Long after their initial publication, Speer's memoir continues to provide one of the most detailed and fascinating portrayals of life within Hitler's inner circles, the rise and fall of the third German empire, and of Hitler himself.

Speer chronicles his entire life, but the majority of Inside the Third Reich focuses on the years between 1933 and 1945, when Speer figured prominently in Hitler's government and the German war effort as Inspector General of Buildings for the Renovation of the Federal Capital and later as Minister of Arms and Munitions. Speer's recollections of both duties foreground the impossibility of reconciling Hitler's idealistic, imperialistic ambitions with both architectural and military reality. Throughout, Inside the Third Reich remains true to its author's intentions. With compelling insight, Speer reveals many of the "premises which almost inevitably led to the disasters" of the Third Reich as well as "what comes from one man's holding unrestricted power in his hands." -- Bertina Loeffler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:29 -0400)

The author presents a detailed account of his fifteen-year association with the German Fuhrer

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,469,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible