The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton

The Winthrop Woman (1958)

by Anya Seton

Katherine Swynford by Alison Weir (Limelite)
    Limelite: Nonfiction. Another strong, forceful, female of a famous ruling family who also behaved "outside the rules of society," and who was similarly vilified by men, but who was more fortunate in her marital allinaces.

Story of a woman who came over to this country in the 1600s to New England. Very dense research, slow moving. ( )
  LivelyLady | Oct 18, 2017 |
Not my favorite Anna Seton novel, but worth reading. Set in the Massachusetts Bay Colony of 1631. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Sep 21, 2016 |
This is totally not a book that I would normally read.
Elizabeth is everything that you love in a woman she shows the sexiness, quirkiness, classiness, and she knows what she wants in life in every way including men. I like when an author can write about one marriage when the man or woman really loves someone else. I liked the history part of the book and can definitely recommend this book to anyone who wishes to take the time to read an older yet brilliant book. 4 stars for this one! ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. It gave me a strong sense of colonial America and the diversity of our founding fathers and mothers. Highly recommended. ( )
  hazel1123 | Jun 22, 2015 |
i really liked the book. it gave insight into what trials people went through looking for freedom. ( )
  mamakalama | Mar 24, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 155652644X, Paperback)

First published in 1958 and set in the early 17th century, this bestselling novel—and follow-up to Katherine—follows Elizabeth Winthrop, a courageous Puritan woman who finds herself at odds with her heritage and surroundings. A real historical figure, Elizabeth married into the family of Governor John Winthrop of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. In those times of hardship, famine, and Indian attacks, many believed that the only way to prosper was through the strong, bigoted, and theocratic government that John Winthrop favored. Defying the government and her family, Elizabeth befriends famous heretic Anne Hutchinson, challenges an army captain, and dares to love as her heart commanded. Through Elizabeth’s three marriages, struggles with her passionate beliefs, and countless rebellions, a powerful tale of fortitude, humiliation, and ultimate triumph shines through.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:26 -0400)

A biographical novel of Elizabeth Winthrop, a courageous woman who defied Puritan conventions and beliefs.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,969,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible