Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Island of the Blue Dolphins (edition 2010)

by Scott O'Dell

9,174196326 (3.92)202
Member:aimeestanaland
Title:Island of the Blue Dolphins
Authors:Scott O'Dell
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2010), Edition: Anv, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, family life, siblings, survival, surviving the elements, courage, Pacific Islands, baby animals

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (snapdragongirl)
    snapdragongirl: Hatchet is also a survivalist book for young adults. It is about a boy who crash lands in a forest. His only tool is a hatchet.
    Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George (gilberts)
    My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (changsbooks)
    Zia by Scott O'Dell (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Zia is the sequel to Island of the Blue Dolphins
    The Cay by Theodore Taylor (bookymouse)
    A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer (foggidawn)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (changsbooks)

English (193)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (195)
Left alone on a beautiful but isolated island off the coast of California, a young Indian girl spends eighteen years, not only merely surviving through her enormous courage and self-reliance, but also finding a measure of happiness in her solitary life. ( )
  paula-childrenslib | Aug 5, 2014 |
Karana, fictitious name by O'Dell for the Lost Woman of San Nicolas Island, aka Juana Maria, is left behind on San Nicolas Island and lives for approximately twenty years without human contact. Not much is known of her as she was the last of her kind, spoke an unknown language, and died before learning English.

Scott O'Dell did a wonderful job of creating a diary of what it may have been like for the young girl left on an island all by herself for nearly twenty years. He did not spend a lot of time and effort on being overly dramatic. It is more like a diary. Since there is not a lot known of this person all that can be written is speculation. ( )
  weisser4 | Jun 3, 2014 |
Karana is a indian girl and lived of a island all by herself for many years. She waited and waited and waited for a ship to rescuer her. This is a OK book to me but YOU might like it better then me. ( )
  SethKim | May 24, 2014 |
I loved this book as a kid! ( )
  AaronKappel | May 22, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is an outstanding book. This book holds a significant place in the history of children’s literature and it will forever be a classic. Author Scott O’Dell took something that was haunting him and combined it with the premise of a true story. He did not like how humans were not being respectful to the environment and wildlife. Thus this is incorporated in the main message of the story, which is one should be mindful of their surroundings and never give up hope. Karana found hope in nature and the animals around her; both gave her the strength and faith to persevere, which she did. The language used was very descriptive and I loved how it incorporated different labels of animals or other things in Karana’s language. A label that we would recognize was never used, but one could figure out what it was based on the imaginative language used to describe it. For example, Karana referred to what we know to be a Giant Squid as a devilfish and through the descriptive language used one could infer that it was a squid: “star shaped creature…with its five arms…a black cloud surrounded where it had been; it does not swim with fins or flippers…he takes water in through the hole in the front of his body and pushes the water out behind through two slits.” As a result, one can finally figure out the “devilfish” is some type of large squid. There were other animals, too, which had unfamiliar names and through the descriptive language one could distinguish what it was. Another aspect of this book that I really liked was how it was a narrative from the first person point of view. O’Dell took his time developing Karana before she became the only human in the story; he developed her character very well in the first eight chapters. I think this really helped the reader understand who she was and her character traits because after she was left on her own she did not have much outer dialogue, unless she was talking to the animals. I thought this book was truly remarkable. It encompassed what is really important to young people: what one is truly capable of, if put to the test, what home is, and how connected we are to the environment. ( )
  sarabeck | May 11, 2014 |
Based on actual events, this is an adventure story of an Indian girl living on the island of San Nicolas off the California coast. With her adaptability and resilience, she survived alone on the island for eighteen years. Some cultural information on island lifeways is included. Illustrated with twelve full-page watercolors.

Scott O'Dellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cardinal, TantooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Russell Children: Isaac, Dorsa, Clare, Gillian, and Felicity, and to Eric, Cherie, and Twinkle.
I remember the day the Aleut ship came to our island.
Please do not combine the original book with "and related readings".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440439884, Paperback)

Product Description
The Newberry Medal-winning story of a 12-year old girl who lives alone on a Pacific island after she leaps from a rescue ship. Isolated on the island for eighteen years, Karana forages for food, builds weapons to fight predators, clothes herself in a cormorant feathered skirt, and finds strength and peace in her seclusion. A classic tale of discovery and solitude returns to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for its 50th anniversary, with a new introduction by Lois Lowry.

Amazon Exclusive: A Letter from Lois Lowry on Writing the Introduction to Island of the Blue Dolphins, 50th Anniversary Edition

Dear Amazon readers,

Last summer, when I was asked to write an introduction to a new edition of Island of the Blue Dolphins, my mind went back in time to the 1960s, when my children were young and it was one of their best-loved books.

But a later memory surfaced, as well, of a party I was invited to in the summer of 1979. By now the kids were grown. I was in New York to attend a convention of the American Library Association, and Scott O'Dell's publisher, Houghton Mifflin, was honoring him at a reception being held at the St. Regis Hotel. I had never met Mr. O'Dell. But because of my own children I knew his books, and I was pleased to be invited to such an illustrious event.

I was staying at a nearby hotel and planned to walk over to the party. But when I began to get dressed, I encountered a problem. I was wearing, I remember, a rose-colored crêpe de Chine dress. It buttoned up the back. I was alone in my hotel room. I buttoned the bottom buttons, and I buttoned the top buttons, but there was one button in the middle of my back that I simply couldn’t reach. It makes me laugh today, thinking about it, picturing the contortions I went through in that hotel room: twisting my arms, twisting my back, all to no avail.

The clock was ticking. The party would start soon. I had no other clothes except the casual things I'd been wearing all day and which were now wrinkled from the summer heat.

Finally I decided, The heck with it. I left the room with the button unbuttoned and headed off. When I got in my hotel elevator, a benign-looking older couple, probably tourists from the Midwest, were already standing inside, and I explained my predicament politely and asked if they could give me a hand. The gray-haired man kindly buttoned my dress for me.

We parted company in the lobby of my hotel and off I went to the St. Regis, where I milled around and chatted with countless people, sipped wine, and waited for the guest of honor, Scott O'Dell, to be introduced. When he was, of course he turned out to be the eighty-one-year-old man who had buttoned my dress.

But wait! There's more. Ten years passed.

I had never seen Mr. O'Dell during the intervening years, but now, suddenly, we were the two speakers at a luncheon being held on a college campus somewhere. I think it may have been Vassar.

We sat next to each other at the head table, nibbling our chicken, chatting about the weather. I knew he wouldn't remember me, but I certainly remembered him, and I was secretly thinking that when it was my turn to speak, I might tell the audience the amusing little anecdote about the button on my dress. But he went first. And, eyes twinkling, he started his speech with "The last time I was with Lois Lowry, we were in a New York hotel. I was helping her get dressed." He was ninety-one at the time. All of this floated back into my mind when I found myself rereading, last summer, The Island of the Blue Dolphins. None of it was appropriate to the book's introduction, of course, and I went on to write, instead, about the power of the story and the magnificence of the writing. Not that anyone needed reminding! There has never been a question about Scott O'Dell's brilliance as a writer and storyteller. But it's nice to have a chance, here, to tell an audience that he was also a sweet and funny man.

Lois Lowry

(Photo © Neil Giordano)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:29 -0400)

Records the courage and self-reliance of an Indian girl who lived alone for eighteen years on an isolated island off the California coast when her tribe emigrated and she was left behind.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible