Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Island of the Blue Dolphins (edition 2010)

by Scott O'Dell

9,521209304 (3.92)208
Member:aimeestanaland
Title:Island of the Blue Dolphins
Authors:Scott O'Dell
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2010), Edition: Anv, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:death, family life, siblings, survival, surviving the elements, courage, Pacific Islands, baby animals

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

Recently added byapostate, wdillon869, MaynardFRC, Mel4, vicmowery, katie44, Mrs.Hill, private library, Mulliga, cwscs
    Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (snapdragongirl)
    snapdragongirl: Hatchet is also a survivalist book for young adults. It is about a boy who crash lands in a forest. His only tool is a hatchet.
    Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George (gilberts)
    My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George (changsbooks)
    Zia by Scott O'Dell (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Zia is the sequel to Island of the Blue Dolphins
    The Cay by Theodore Taylor (bookymouse)
    A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer (foggidawn)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (changsbooks)
    A Wild Thing by Jean Renvoize (weener)
    weener: These are both excellent tales of young women surviving on their own who find a measure of peace in their solitude.

English (207)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (209)
Read a review of the audio version of this 1961 Newbery Medalist here: http://rdg301library.blogspot.com/2012/12/1961-newbery-medalist.html.
  rdg301library | May 24, 2015 |
The story is about a girl who stays behind on an island for her brother when her entire tribe leaves on a boat. She is left alone to survive and she thrives and protects herself. This story challenges social norms and gender roles in both her culture as well as my own. ( )
  lbradf4 | May 14, 2015 |
I first read this book as a young girl. It was an unloved novel in my elementary school's "media center," or library. I read it twice before its due date. It explores grief and loneliness, and complex relationships such as enemies-turned-friends. It's the sort of story that leaves you with an ache in your chest. Highly recommended as an easy, over-night read ( )
  heavenleighhope | May 6, 2015 |
I thought this book was just ok. I guess most ratings for this are high because it does have historical merit, but it just did not captivate me. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is a story of a young girl, Karana, living on an island with her people. A ship comes to take them away from the island after many of their people were massacred by hunters. The people no longer wanted to live there anymore. Karana is ready to leave on the ship with the rest of her people when she realizes her brother is missing. She jumps in the water to go get him and ends up being left as well because of the storms that were coming. Her brother is killed not long after this by a pack of wild dogs, so Karana is left on the island alone. She becomes strong and makes a home for herself as well as weapons. She lives for a long time until a ship does come back and takes her to another land. I thought this book is a good story for young readers. The story that develops here is probably something that children nowadays would ever think about or picture happening to them.
Classroom Extensions: I would use this book as literature for the whole class and do shared reading and discussion with it as the students read a chapter a day. This would involve the students making predictions on what might happen and how they feel about the situations Karana is facing everyday.
I would have the student write a letter to Karana or a poem for her telling her the way they feel about her situation. ( )
  emedwards | Apr 12, 2015 |
Based on actual events, this is an adventure story of an Indian girl living on the island of San Nicolas off the California coast. With her adaptability and resilience, she survived alone on the island for eighteen years. Some cultural information on island lifeways is included. Illustrated with twelve full-page watercolors.

Scott O'Dellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cardinal, TantooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Russell Children: Isaac, Dorsa, Clare, Gillian, and Felicity, and to Eric, Cherie, and Twinkle.
I remember the day the Aleut ship came to our island.
Please do not combine the original book with "and related readings".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440439884, Paperback)

Product Description
The Newberry Medal-winning story of a 12-year old girl who lives alone on a Pacific island after she leaps from a rescue ship. Isolated on the island for eighteen years, Karana forages for food, builds weapons to fight predators, clothes herself in a cormorant feathered skirt, and finds strength and peace in her seclusion. A classic tale of discovery and solitude returns to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for its 50th anniversary, with a new introduction by Lois Lowry.

Amazon Exclusive: A Letter from Lois Lowry on Writing the Introduction to Island of the Blue Dolphins, 50th Anniversary Edition

Dear Amazon readers,

Last summer, when I was asked to write an introduction to a new edition of Island of the Blue Dolphins, my mind went back in time to the 1960s, when my children were young and it was one of their best-loved books.

But a later memory surfaced, as well, of a party I was invited to in the summer of 1979. By now the kids were grown. I was in New York to attend a convention of the American Library Association, and Scott O'Dell's publisher, Houghton Mifflin, was honoring him at a reception being held at the St. Regis Hotel. I had never met Mr. O'Dell. But because of my own children I knew his books, and I was pleased to be invited to such an illustrious event.

I was staying at a nearby hotel and planned to walk over to the party. But when I began to get dressed, I encountered a problem. I was wearing, I remember, a rose-colored crêpe de Chine dress. It buttoned up the back. I was alone in my hotel room. I buttoned the bottom buttons, and I buttoned the top buttons, but there was one button in the middle of my back that I simply couldn’t reach. It makes me laugh today, thinking about it, picturing the contortions I went through in that hotel room: twisting my arms, twisting my back, all to no avail.

The clock was ticking. The party would start soon. I had no other clothes except the casual things I'd been wearing all day and which were now wrinkled from the summer heat.

Finally I decided, The heck with it. I left the room with the button unbuttoned and headed off. When I got in my hotel elevator, a benign-looking older couple, probably tourists from the Midwest, were already standing inside, and I explained my predicament politely and asked if they could give me a hand. The gray-haired man kindly buttoned my dress for me.

We parted company in the lobby of my hotel and off I went to the St. Regis, where I milled around and chatted with countless people, sipped wine, and waited for the guest of honor, Scott O'Dell, to be introduced. When he was, of course he turned out to be the eighty-one-year-old man who had buttoned my dress.

But wait! There's more. Ten years passed.

I had never seen Mr. O'Dell during the intervening years, but now, suddenly, we were the two speakers at a luncheon being held on a college campus somewhere. I think it may have been Vassar.

We sat next to each other at the head table, nibbling our chicken, chatting about the weather. I knew he wouldn't remember me, but I certainly remembered him, and I was secretly thinking that when it was my turn to speak, I might tell the audience the amusing little anecdote about the button on my dress. But he went first. And, eyes twinkling, he started his speech with "The last time I was with Lois Lowry, we were in a New York hotel. I was helping her get dressed." He was ninety-one at the time. All of this floated back into my mind when I found myself rereading, last summer, The Island of the Blue Dolphins. None of it was appropriate to the book's introduction, of course, and I went on to write, instead, about the power of the story and the magnificence of the writing. Not that anyone needed reminding! There has never been a question about Scott O'Dell's brilliance as a writer and storyteller. But it's nice to have a chance, here, to tell an audience that he was also a sweet and funny man.

Lois Lowry

(Photo © Neil Giordano)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:29 -0400)

Records the courage and self-reliance of an Indian girl who lived alone for eighteen years on an isolated island off the California coast when her tribe emigrated and she was left behind.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,281,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible