Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day (Junie…

Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day (Junie B. Jones, No. 16) (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Barbara Park, Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)

Member:afranc11
Title:Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day (Junie B. Jones, No. 16)
Authors:Barbara Park
Other authors:Denise Brunkus (Illustrator)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2001), Paperback, 80 pages
Collections:3rd-4th Grade Readers, Contemporary Realistic Fiction, Chapter Books
Rating:*****
Tags:chapter book, humor, series

Junie B. Jones Is Captain Field Day by Barbara Park (2001)

Junie B. Jones is a great series that all start almost the same. The writing style is exactly how Junie B. Jones is speaking which makes it more engaging for a student who is starting to transition from picture books to chapter books. In this particular book, Junie B. Jones wants so badly to be named captain for field day and she gets her wish. When she finally gets her wish, they are losing in their field day events and the blame seems to be put on her, she did not know what she was going to put herself into with this prestigious title. This is a fun book that brings you inside a student's life and can bring relation to the actual students in your class while bringing some humor in the mix. ( )
  Nicolefern | Feb 12, 2018 |
I like this book, I really like the entire Junie B. series. These books do have the improper grammar issue, which is important to consider when using it as reading material for emerging readers. Because readers make writers, they may see these grammar mistakes and think they are correct. As long as students are mature enough, they too can enjoy Junie B.! Field day is a day all grade school students look forward too. The competition and classroom rivalry that is intertwined throughout the plot is relatable for students and enjoyable since this is a day they all look forward too. Junie B. is a bit bossy and tries to take charge or everybody, however through her shenanigans she learns that teamwork is the best strategy. This is a good lesson for kids to learn as early as possible in their lives. ( )
  Kacie11 | Dec 1, 2016 |
There are several reasons that I loved this Junie B. Jones book. The first reason is because of the engaging and clever writing used throughout. Park's writing is able to make the reader feel as if the character really exists, her writing sounds just as a kindergartner would. "And wait till you hear this! I didn't even have to look up her number in the phone book! 'Cause I finally got it memorized right in my head! Its name is 555-5555. And that was a hard number to remember, I tell you. 'Cause I kept forgetting the five." I found this line very funny because of the irony within it. The second reason that I loved this book was because of the plot. Junie B. was named captain field day, but her team kept losing in every event. Right when everyone had given up hope, the unexpected "Crybaby William" saved the day in the pull up event. "Then, all of a sudden, William kicked his legs a little bit. Then he kicked them again. And wowie wow wow! His chin went right up to the bar!" The plot of the book really helped to teach readers never to give up, which is great! The last reason I loved this book was due to the point of view. The first person point of view made the book that much funnier, and helped to create that comedic writing style. "The first day she came to our school, my boyfriend named Ricardo chased her all over the playground. I hollered and hollered for him to stop. But he said chasing New Thelma was fun. And so that is how come he dumped me. Dumped is the grown-up word for when you have to find a new Ricardo." From this point of view you can really hear Junie B. speaking to you as the reader. Overall, I feel that the 'big idea' of this book is to teach the readers to never lose hope or give up, and to never misjudge anyone because that person could surprise you. ( )
  madigischel | Nov 23, 2016 |
I always enjoy Junie B. Jones books because I feel like they really depict how our elementary school students think, act, and even talk. Students get so giggly when reading these books and they really enjoy them. I think these books are great for fun reading in the classroom
  makensiecowart | Oct 17, 2016 |
I thought this was a great book. Junie B. Jones is very excited because it is Field Day at her school and she is her class' team captain. Junie B. gets very discouraged though because her opponents keep winning all of the events. However, when it is time for the pull up competition, her classamate, William, who has been scared to do all of the other events volunteers to compete and wins. This make Junie B. and the rest of her class very excited. It also makes her class realize that you don't need to win to have fun. I really liked this book because the language the author used was perfect for her 1st-2nd grade audience. The morning of field day when Junie B. is screaming and running around her house and her mom asks what has gotten into her Junie B. replies, "Field Day has gotten into me, Mother. How could you even forget this important occasion? I have been talking about it all week, remember? Field Day is when Room Nine goes again Room Eight. And we have different races and stuff." When reading that dialogue, it sounded exactly like something a child her age would actually say. The author also does a really good job of explaining words or concepts that the readers may not know. When Junie B. talks about her ex-boyfriend, Ricardo, and how he dumped her, she says, "Dumped is the grown-up word for when you have to find a new Ricardo." I think the big idea in this book is to not get too upset if you lose something. Instead, just focus on having fun and enjoying yourself. ( )
  ejones35 | Oct 2, 2016 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

As captain of Room Nine's field day team, Junie B. Jones tries to rally her troops after they lose several events.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375802916, Paperback)

Junie B. Jones's kindergarten teacher has some strange ideas about field day: "Field Day is a day to run around in the fresh air and enjoy the sunshine. We came out here to have fun and get some exercise. And we're not going to care one little bit about who wins or who loses." Only what's so fun about losing? That's what Junie B. wants to know. In the great contest between room 8 and room 9, somehow, room 8 keeps winning all the events. As Captain Field Day of room 9, Junie B. is feeling her superpowers--and her good sportsmanship--slipping away. Can anyone save the day?

For beginning chapter-book readers, Junie B. Jones always saves the day. As in Junie B. Jones Has a Peep in Her Pocket, Junie B. Jones and Some Sneaky Peeky Spying, and the many other titles in Barbara Park's series, Junie B.'s inimitable style wins her friends and fans everywhere. Denise Brunkus's comical, expressive drawings capture all the joys and foibles of kindergarten life. With occasional "big" words (like slumped, sarcastic, and apparently) and Junie B.'s grammatical curiosities, this witty book works best as a classroom read-aloud. (Ages 5 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:32 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,727,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible