Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren by…

Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Barbara Park

Member:annajamieson
Title:Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren
Authors:Barbara Park
Info:Scholastic, Inc. (1999), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:funny, children, junie b

Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren by Barbara Park (1996)

In my opinion, this book was very good for young readers. Something that I really liked about this book was that it included pictures which would help a student who is transitioning from picture book to chapter book. The pictures are included on about every few pages and are black and white with a lot of detail. They really show the expressions of the characters which adds a lot to the text, especially for a young reader who is still learning to comprehend the text. Another think I liked about the book was that it doesn't use "proper" English and the characters actually talk like they are in Kindergarten. Junie says things like, "I spinned around..." and "two bestest friends." This is how a real Kindergartner would speak so I think that a young student could easily relate to the story. Another thing I really liked about the book was the use of capitalization. When Junie or any of the other characters say something loudly or with expression, those words are capitalized. I think this is important when it comes to developing fluency and practicing the enthusiasm and expression that is necessary to comprehend reading. The big idea of this story was a Kindergartner who is trying to impress a new boy and that in the end, you should always just be yourself. ( )
  khendr4 | Nov 20, 2014 |
This book is a part of a series called Junie B. Jones. It is about a girl in kindergarten who meets a boy named Warren who she likes. Her best friends also like him and they fight over him. He thinks Junie B. is a "nut ball". She tries being a pretty princess like her friend Lucille and being fast like her friend Grace. Finally, she learns to be his friend by being herself and caring about him and his interests. This book is aimed at kindergarten because the main characters are in kindergarten, but it is too advanced and long for them. So it would be best for 2nd graders to read as "my first chapter books". I used to read these books as a kid, and still like them today. They are interesting and the main character is never afraid to be herself. The big idea is that moving is hard and being nice to the new kids is important. Also, it doesn't matter what you have or what you look like, to make friends, you should be friendly, nice, and caring. ( )
  nhassa3 | Sep 21, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed Junie B. Jones point of view and plot but I hate how awful the grammar is. Having a book be strictly from a kindergartner's point of view is great and helps the young readers relate to the story and the narrators thoughts. The plot is short and sweet, easy to follow. From the second page on when Lucille, Junie's friend. talks about Warren, the new boy, the main idea of the story is clear. This gets the reader involved and hooked right away wanting to know what comes next. However, despite the ease of relating to Junie B. Jones the story should be written using proper grammar. Part of the importance of reading is seeing and learning how to use words correctly. Books also model proper grammar, and syntax which cannot be put to use if the books is using it incorrectly. On page 4 Junie B. yells "CAUSE ME AND HIM ARE PERSONAL FRIENDS" which is an example of a five-year-olds speech but is not a good influence on readers. I did like the message portrayed in the end of being yourself and people will accept you. That is an important message to learn at any age. ( )
  amarcu4 | Sep 11, 2014 |
At first my kids didn't care for this one that much, but the last chapter brought it all together and had them smiling with laughter. ( )
  capiam1234 | May 17, 2014 |
In the 7th Junie B. Jones book, there's a new boy in kindergarten, and guess what? He's the handsomest guy Junie B. has ever seen. She and Lucille and that Grace all want him for a boyfriend. Only, he thinks Junie B. is a nutball. Just 'cause she couldn't stop laughing and rolling. So how is she supposed to get that boy to love her?
-Review from Juniebjones.com
For ages 5-9
  kplowman2 | Dec 9, 2013 |
My name is Junie B. Jones.

There's a new boy in kindergarten, and guess what? He's the handsomest guy Junie B. has ever seen. She and Lucille and that Grace all want him for a boyfriend. Only, he thinks Junie B. is a nutball. Just 'cause she couldn't stop laughing and rolling. So how is she supposed to get that boy to love her?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:12 -0400)

Unable to compete with her friends' fancy clothes and running ability, irrepressible six-year-old Junie B. finds her own way to make the new boy at school like her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible