Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren by…

Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Barbara Park

Member:annajamieson
Title:Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren
Authors:Barbara Park
Info:Scholastic, Inc. (1999), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:funny, children, junie b

Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren by Barbara Park (1996)

Junie B Jones is as irrepressible as ever. (By the way, the B is for Beatrice, but she doesn't like Beatrice...she just likes B!) Kindergartner Junie B is best friends with Lucille, who wears frilly dresses and socks, and Grace, who rides the same bus, has pink sneakers and is the fastest runner. One day, Grace and Junie B arrive at school ready to play "horsies," only to find that Lucille is not there yet. Soon, however, they spot Lucille, along with a boy. Junie B and Grace scare the boy away, much to Lucille's chagrin. The boy turns out to be a new boy in Kindergarten, and all three friends think he is handsome. Hilarity ensues as all three girls start to compete in their own way for his attention.

I have read many Junie B books and enjoy them. They are written from a Kindergartner's perspective, using grammar that a Kindergartner would use. Junie B is a fun child to read about as she is always into something and is seemingly unstoppable. I would not want to be her parent! I think young children love the fact that Junie B probably gets away with (or perhaps doesn't get away with) things that they might like to do but perhaps know that they should not.

I don't think this is the best Junie B that I have ever read, but on the other hand, it wasn't the worst either. In the end, Junie B learns what it takes to make a new friend - that she should just be herself. ( )
  rretzler | Mar 27, 2016 |
Delightful! I thought the book was Hilarious and charming. ( )
  shelbewelbee | Nov 15, 2015 |
In this story of Junie B. Jones there is a new boy in kindergarten named Warren, the girls all call him handsome warren because they all have a crush. Junie B. Jones does everything she can to get Warren to like her but one day she embarrasses herself by laughing to much and rolling around all over the ground. He then thinks she is crazy. All three best friends compete to have handsome warren, in the end telling jokes brings warren and junie b. to a great part in their friendship and all is well. This story is great to teach a lesson on jealous, fairness, and being yourself and not someone else in order for someone to like you. It also is a good lesson to teach children that they do not need a boyfriend or girlfriend, they can just have really great friends. ( )
  mholtan | Oct 13, 2015 |
Junie B. Jones is a sassy, drama queen girl which makes a fun read for girls at a young age. This one is not one of my favorite books but is still a good read. It is a story about a new boy in kindergarten, and guess what? He's the handsomest guy Junie B. has ever seen. She and Lucille and that Grace all want him for a boyfriend. Only, he thinks Junie B. is a nutball. Just 'cause she couldn't stop laughing and rolling. So what crazy plan is she going to come up with in finding a way to win his love for her? ( )
  bl200329 | Mar 1, 2015 |
In my opinion, this book was very good for young readers. Something that I really liked about this book was that it included pictures which would help a student who is transitioning from picture book to chapter book. The pictures are included on about every few pages and are black and white with a lot of detail. They really show the expressions of the characters which adds a lot to the text, especially for a young reader who is still learning to comprehend the text. Another think I liked about the book was that it doesn't use "proper" English and the characters actually talk like they are in Kindergarten. Junie says things like, "I spinned around..." and "two bestest friends." This is how a real Kindergartner would speak so I think that a young student could easily relate to the story. Another thing I really liked about the book was the use of capitalization. When Junie or any of the other characters say something loudly or with expression, those words are capitalized. I think this is important when it comes to developing fluency and practicing the enthusiasm and expression that is necessary to comprehend reading. The big idea of this story was a Kindergartner who is trying to impress a new boy and that in the end, you should always just be yourself. ( )
  khendr4 | Nov 20, 2014 |

Barbara Parkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brunkus, DeniseIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
My name is Junie B. Jones.

There's a new boy in kindergarten, and guess what? He's the handsomest guy Junie B. has ever seen. She and Lucille and that Grace all want him for a boyfriend. Only, he thinks Junie B. is a nutball. Just 'cause she couldn't stop laughing and rolling. So how is she supposed to get that boy to love her?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:18 -0400)

Unable to compete with her friends' fancy clothes and running ability, irrepressible six-year-old Junie B. finds her own way to make the new boy at school like her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,314,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible