The Case of the Missing Books by Ian Sansom

The Case of the Missing Books (2006)

by Ian Sansom

English (87)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (91)
I was really enjoying this; quirky characters and funny but it totally fell apart in the last ten or so pages. The solution to the missing books mystery made just no sennse at all. I read a later book in the series and did enjoy it but this was a dissappintment.
  amyem58 | Jul 30, 2017 |
3.5 stars

Israel, a vegetarian Jewish librarian from London, has moved to Tumdrum, County Antrim, Northern Ireland to run the library there. But, after a horrible trip to get there and no one to greet him, he learns that the library has closed! Apparently, he is to run the mobile library instead. Unfortunately, the library books have all gone missing! Not only that, the people are not the least bit welcoming or helpful, he has to live in a chicken coop, and now he has to figure out where all the missing books are!

I liked it. It was entertaining and there was a touch of humour. This is part of a series, but I'm not quite decided yet if I'll continue, although being a librarian myself, I just might, for the novelty of it. ( )
1 vote LibraryCin | Mar 12, 2017 |

It's the first of a series; I must say I don't think I'll bother with the rest - there's a little too much pointing and laughing at the funny Irish people, and the actual plot is wafer-thin. In particular, the treatment of local politics is completely ludicrous; libraries in Northern Ireland are not actually under the control of local councils, and any local council that treated its staff the way Tumdrum council treats Israel Armstrong, the novel's Jewish protagonist, would get hauled in front of an employment tribunal pretty rapidly. The model I guess is the old Moyle council, if it had had some larger towns than Ballycastle in it, with added layers of Troubles trauma which seem to have left remarkably little impact on local politics. I guess people who like whimsy in an Ulster accent will like this, and good luck to them. ( )
  nwhyte | Feb 4, 2017 |
A very interesting premise:

A new Librarian is hired to run the Library, but when he arrives in the small Irish town, he finds the Library is closed and all the books are missing..... He is also given a rusted out old bus to use as the mobile library.....

He is sent a chicken coop on a farm to live and is dismayed at all the meat being served for meals, as he is a vegetarian.

The "board" sends the poor sap to find the missing books and they tell him where to find them, but he isn't bright enough to follow their guidance.

There is quite a bit of subtle humor.... but all the affected "literary prose" and the basically unlikeable characters made me dislike the book....

I rated this a 2nd star for the plot line. ( )
1 vote Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 31, 2017 |
I didn't really get this book at all. I didn't like the main character one bit. He was whiny and annoyed me as much as he annoyed his new neighbors. He bobbled along accusing everyone of stealing the books from the library and never quite got it right. The ending was a huge let down, too. I liked a few of the background characters. I'm going to have to think long and hard about grabbing book 2 to see if the series gets any better. ( )
1 vote jguidry | Dec 3, 2016 |
For the librarians of Ongar, Epping, Loughton, Romford, Harlow, Cambridge, Oxford, London, Bangor, Belfast, Dublin and New York
No. No, no, no, no, no. This was not what was supposed to happen.

Israel Armstrong is a passionate soul, lured to Ireland by the promise of an exciting new career. Alas, the job that awaits him is not quite what he had in mind. Still, Israel is not one to dwell on disappointment, as he prepares to drive a mobile library around a small, damp Irish town. After all, the scenery is lovely, the people are charming—but where are the books? The rolling library's 15,000 volumes have mysteriously gone missing, and it's up to Israel to discover who would steal them . . . and why. And perhaps, after that, he will tackle other bizarre and perplexing local mysteries—like, where does one go to find a proper cappuccino and a decent newspaper?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:43 -0400)

Israel, a shy, passionate, intelligent, Jewish vegetarian has just arrived in Ireland to take up his first post as a librarian. But the library's been shut down and Israel ends up stranded on the North Antrim coast driving an old mobile library van.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,408,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible