Killing Orders by Sara Paretsky

Killing Orders (1985)

by Sara Paretsky

English (13)  German (1)  All languages (14)
Although a bit a slow in places, and despite the excess adverbs, I quite liked “Killing Orders”.

The plot didn’t grip me, but that’s not to say it was flawed in any way. I liked it in parts, rather than on the whole.

I like the main character a lot. She’s tough, but no less feminine because of it. I like her humour, especially when it’s delivered at an inappropriate moment, which is often. ( )
  PhilSyphe | May 29, 2019 |
This is book 3 of the series. V.I. doesn't have many relatives. Her mother (Gabriella) escaped from Vienna before Hitler made escape impossible. She lived with her Aunt Rosa until Rosa kicked her out at age 18 although Gabriella couldn't speak any English. When Gabriella died she made V.I. promise to help Rosa as needed. Rosa is a stubborn hateful woman who surprisingly calls V.I. to help her. Rosa handled the books for a small priory who just found out that some stock certificates they have had for 10 years are fakes. They found out when they tried to cash them in to do some renovation. The stocks are worth millions. Before V.I. can get into it, hating Rosa but agreeing to look into it, Rosa calls her off. V.I. doesn't give up and ends up getting threats. Someone sends a thug to try to throw acid in her eyes but she manages to get away. Her apartment building is burned down. She is also helping who current boyfriend, Roger Ferrent, who is working with Ajax insurance who fears a take over bid. She figures out the plot originates with a very secretive Catholic organization, Corpus Christi, whose members promise all their money to the organization. A friend who is looking into the stocks for her is killed. V.I. finds the guilty party who is hiding millions of dollars and wants the insurance company to launder the money. I like V.I. but not some of her cop friends or who were friends of her father. I know that in that time, their attitude toward a woman working instead of staying home with kids was common but it drives me crazy.
  taurus27 | Jan 11, 2017 |
I didn't think of it before, but Wasrshawski is a proto-Buffy. She is, after all, a private detective who loves fancy shoes, but is tough enough for her job. Further musing suggests that the crime genre has always been accepting of women who were both tough and feminine. There is, after all, Nancy Drew, (Kick-Ass) Girl Detective [the Kick-Ass is silent]. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
A slow start with V.I. Warshawski getting rope into the case by estranged family members needing help. Once another facet of the investigation emerges elsewhere, and a friend is killed pursuing financial matters a layman can’t on her own, things start moving. Vic meets a nice range of characters and takes some losses along the way. Not Edgar material but interesting enough. It’s all I ask. ( )
  JohnWCuluris | Jun 28, 2016 |
Well written, action packed. Kept me glued. ( )
  JoAnnSmithAinsworth | Feb 7, 2013 |
For Courtenay
All other things to their destruction draw
MY STOMACH MUSCLES contracted as I locked the car door.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451214978, Mass Market Paperback)

V.I.'s battleaxe Aunt Rosa is under investigation by the FBI and SEC after counterfeit stock certificates were found at St. Albert's Priory, where she serves as treasurer. As malicious as her aunt is, V.I. knows she's not dishonest, so V.I. vows to protect her from taking the fall. But V.I. starts questioning the strength of her family ties when a menacing voice on the phone threatens to throw acid into her eyes if she doesn't butt out. The stakes are high as she begins to sniff out a connection between Chicago's most powerful institutions: the Church and the Mob.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

When Detective V.I. Warshawski begins an investigation of a three million dollar theft from a monastery, acid is thrown in her face, and she suspects she might be taking on the Vatican, the Mafia, and an international conglomerate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible