Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Just Listen (2006)

by Sarah Dessen

English (176)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (177)
One of my favorite books by Dessen. It is a heart warming story of a girl that tries to deal with a scary moment on her own as in her family another sister is also going through a different time. ( )
  vilmarietl | Jul 16, 2016 |
Dessen's The Truth About Forever has been a favorite of mine for years now, but this is the first other book of hers I've gotten around to reading. It, too, is amazing; I think that I may just have to dig up the rest of her works.

Bearing in mind that I've only read two of her books, Dessen seems to have a recurring theme of exploring honesty, and its role in communication. I greatly enjoy the manner in which she does so. ( )
  erichtwade | Jun 20, 2016 |
A very pleasant surprise. It deals with real issues without halmarking it. I really enjoyed this book. I'm looking forward to reading something else by ms. Desen ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Annabel appears to have everything a girl could want in high school. After an incident at the end of the school year, Annabel isolates herself all summer leaving her basically friendless at the beginning of the next school year. She has learned through her family struggles to deal with problems by not dealing with them and tells her family half-truths to spare them any discomfort. Annabel meets Owen, the complex bad boy at school. Owen does not lie, and Annabel allows herself to be open and honest with Owen (the first person she has been able to do that with in a long time). Through their friendship, she finds the courage to face her fears and find out who she wants to become. A great book about self-discovery and friendships. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
This was the first book by Dessen I ever read! It was perfect for summer, full of real life struggles and tender moments. I adore this story and have added Dessen to my list of authors who I always buy their books. ( )
  ChelseaClaudett | Mar 8, 2016 |
"Dessen weaves a sometimes funny, mostly emotional, and very satisfying story."
added by Awesomeness1 | editVOYA

The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost
I taped the commercial back in April, before anything had happened, and promptly forgot about it.

Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything"—at least that’s the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf ’s Department Store.This year, she’s the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong. Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling.With Owen’s help,maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.
In this multi-layered, impossible-to-put-down book, Sarah Dessen tells the story of a year in the life of a family coming to terms with the imperfections beneath its perfect facade.

When Annabel, the youngest of three beautiful sisters, has a bitter falling out with her best friend—the popular and exciting Sophie—she suddenly finds herself isolated and friendless. but then she meets Owen—a loner, passionate about music and his weekly radio show, and always determined to tell the truth. And when they develop a friendship, Annabel is not only introduced to new music but is encouraged to listen to her own inner voice. with owen’s help, can Annabel find the courage to speak out about what exactly happened the night her friendship with Sophie came to a screeching halt?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:58 -0400)

Isolated from friends who believe the worst because she has not been truthful with them, sixteen-year-old Annabel finds an ally in classmate Owen, whose honesty and passion for music help her to face and share what really happened at the end-of-the-year party that changed her life.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,315,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible