Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Just Listen

by Sarah Dessen

English (187)  Hungarian (1)  All (188)
PopSugar '15 #36--a book set in a high school
Dessen is able to do something rare: write a character I would find very annoying in real life and make me root for him. If Owen were a friend of mine, his music snobbishness would drive me nuts. So, while I found Owen to be annoying at best I saw that somehow he worked so well for Annabel, and I was glad to read their story. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
When Annabel, the youngest of three beautiful sisters, has a bitter falling out with her best friend-the popular and exciting Sophie-she suddenly finds herself isolated and friendless. But then she meets Owen-a loner, passionate about music and his weekly radio show, and always determined to tell the truth. And when they develop a friendship, Annabel is not only introduced to new music but is encouraged to listen to her own inner voice. With Owen's help, can Annabel find the courage to speak out about what exactly happened the night her friendship with Sophie came to a screeching halt?

I have only read two Sarah Dessen books and I loved, loved, loved (!) both of them. Reading a book by Sarah Dessen is a lot like sitting down with a great friend for coffee and discussing your life’s story. It’s comfortable, provocative, enlightening, and at times heartbreaking yet also beautiful.

From the opening pages you can’t help put feel for Annabel. She feels so lost, so confused and alone; she just breaks your heart. No one will talk to her, even her once-upon-a-time best friend; she’s a pariah in the school where she was once one of the popular girls. When the large, hulking Owen, another outcast and music lover, befriends her, he gives her something to look forward too. He gives her a much needed lesson in not judging appearances and helps her music tastes grow from barely there to eclectic and powerful. Annabel doesn’t do confrontations and it almost ends in someone else getting hurt. Yet when it all finally comes to a head, you’re left with a satisfying ending. I highly recommend this, especially to the parents of teens, if only to help remember just what it’s like to be a teenager. ( )
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |

I HAVE AN EXAM TOMORROW WHAT AM I DOING

Anyway. I find Annabel frustrating at times, because she's holding out so much stuff and keeping to herself. Owen is a great guy though.

I just didn't really feel any kind of chemistry in this book. And I just read it through, nothing more. I haven't connected with it or something. But I do appreciate Annabel's family story. It was the best thing in this book—the bond the sisters shared. It wasn't the music or Owen and Annabel or the thing with Will Cash or Sophie or the modelling or the anger management stuff. So much happened within the walls of their glass house.

First book read this 2013! ( )
  heycaye | Feb 14, 2018 |
any sarah dessen book is worth ready, just another great one to add to the list. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
Finishing off my year by powering through a bunch of books meant for 12 year old girls. One a day, baby! Only god can judge me! Didn't like this one as much as Last Chance or This Lullaby, mainly because I didn't read it when I was younger so it didn't have the nostalgia factor for me, but also because Owen and his ridiculous music taste were both too pretentious for words. An inability to enjoy pop music is an inability to enjoy life! Haters and "enlightened" music snobs can bite me. The Dexter and Remy cameo made my heart happy though. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
"Dessen weaves a sometimes funny, mostly emotional, and very satisfying story."
added by Awesomeness1 | editVOYA

The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost
I taped the commercial back in April, before anything had happened, and promptly forgot about it.

Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything"—at least that’s the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf ’s Department Store.This year, she’s the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong. Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling.With Owen’s help,maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.
In this multi-layered, impossible-to-put-down book, Sarah Dessen tells the story of a year in the life of a family coming to terms with the imperfections beneath its perfect facade.

When Annabel, the youngest of three beautiful sisters, has a bitter falling out with her best friend—the popular and exciting Sophie—she suddenly finds herself isolated and friendless. but then she meets Owen—a loner, passionate about music and his weekly radio show, and always determined to tell the truth. And when they develop a friendship, Annabel is not only introduced to new music but is encouraged to listen to her own inner voice. with owen’s help, can Annabel find the courage to speak out about what exactly happened the night her friendship with Sophie came to a screeching halt?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:58 -0400)

Isolated from friends who believe the worst because she has not been truthful with them, sixteen-year-old Annabel finds an ally in classmate Owen, whose honesty and passion for music help her to face and share what really happened at the end-of-the-year party that changed her life.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,550,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible