Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Just Listen (2006)

by Sarah Dessen

3,648None1,442 (4.17)75
(13) anorexia (46) chick lit (26) eating disorders (84) family (63) family problems (13) fiction (141) friends (13) friendship (65) girls (15) high school (55) love (27) modeling (64) models (17) music (114) own (14) rape (91) read (24) realistic fiction (54) relationships (29) romance (110) Sarah Dessen (20) sexual assault (24) sisters (30) teen (66) teen fiction (13) to-read (36) YA (140) young adult (173) young adult fiction (22)

English (151)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (152)
I wasn't that interested in the beginning, it felt like the novel was going to be pretty shallow and predictable. However, the main character grew on me. I could relate on several levels with Annabel and really wanted her life to improve. The second half of the book was much better and made it a good read. I was disappointed about the "Just Listen" tape when I found out Owen's reaction. I would give this book 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 14, 2014 |
I really liked this book, I'm a fan of Sarah Dessen's work and this didn't let me down. It was funny and sad, and emotional and brilliant. There was so much I loved about it, and only one downside which I'll discuss in my full review on my blog.
Overall this was a great read and I would definitely recommend it.

For my full review check out my blog at http://www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Rated 4, not for literary merit but for well accomplished didacticism. The writing is very simple, I'd rate it at a 12 year old level, but the sexual content maybe tends it toward older teens. The way it treats communication and trust, though, is just perfect. I can see many girls benefitting from the story. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Mar 6, 2014 |
Anabel is a social pariah who through a series of events manages to befriend another social pariah Owen. They bond over his love of music, and she is taken in by his complete honesty. Through this friendship she is able to work through issues in her own life.
I would not have picked this book to read if it wasn't for the summer reading program at the library, but I did end up enjoying it. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
When Annabel, the youngest of three beautiful sisters, has a bitter falling out with her best friend-the popular and exciting Sophie-she suddenly finds herself isolated and friendless. But then she meets Owen-a loner, passionate about music and his weekly radio show, and always determined to tell the truth. And when they develop a friendship, Annabel is not only introduced to new music but is encouraged to listen to her own inner voice. With Owen's help, can Annabel find the courage to speak out about what exactly happened the night her friendship with Sophie came to a screeching halt?

I have only read two Sarah Dessen books and I loved, loved, loved (!) both of them. Reading a book by Sarah Dessen is a lot like sitting down with a great friend for coffee and discussing your life’s story. It’s comfortable, provocative, enlightening, and at times heartbreaking yet also beautiful.

From the opening pages you can’t help put feel for Annabel. She feels so lost, so confused and alone; she just breaks your heart. No one will talk to her, even her once-upon-a-time best friend; she’s a pariah in the school where she was once one of the popular girls. When the large, hulking Owen, another outcast and music lover, befriends her, he gives her something to look forward too. He gives her a much needed lesson in not judging appearances and helps her music tastes grow from barely there to eclectic and powerful. Annabel doesn’t do confrontations and it almost ends in someone else getting hurt. Yet when it all finally comes to a head, you’re left with a satisfying ending. I highly recommend this, especially to the parents of teens, if only to help remember just what it’s like to be a teenager. ( )
  capriciousreader | Dec 20, 2013 |
"Dessen weaves a sometimes funny, mostly emotional, and very satisfying story."
added by Awesomeness1 | editVOYA

The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost
I taped the commercial back in April, before anything had happened, and promptly forgot about it.

Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything"—at least that’s the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf ’s Department Store.This year, she’s the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong. Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling.With Owen’s help,maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.
In this multi-layered, impossible-to-put-down book, Sarah Dessen tells the story of a year in the life of a family coming to terms with the imperfections beneath its perfect facade.

When Annabel, the youngest of three beautiful sisters, has a bitter falling out with her best friend—the popular and exciting Sophie—she suddenly finds herself isolated and friendless. but then she meets Owen—a loner, passionate about music and his weekly radio show, and always determined to tell the truth. And when they develop a friendship, Annabel is not only introduced to new music but is encouraged to listen to her own inner voice. with owen’s help, can Annabel find the courage to speak out about what exactly happened the night her friendship with Sophie came to a screeching halt?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:53 -0400)

Isolated from friends who believe the worst because she has not been truthful with them, sixteen-year-old Annabel finds an ally in classmate Owen, whose honesty and passion for music help her to face and share what really happened at the end-of-the-year party that changed her life.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible