Man with an Axe by Jon A. Jackson

Just not to my taste. An attempt to incorporate the Jimmy Hoffa story into the Mulheisen series, including an explanation of Hoffa's fate. Plus a retrospective-reintroducing Grootka. The book with that title was very good. This one may be well done, but it does not appeal to me. A lot of stuff about jazz music scene. ( )
  Darrol | Jul 17, 2011 |
YUCK! I bought this book because of the Michigan setting, and a book store owner recommended it. What a waste of time. I didn't get it. A mystery about a dead man named Grootka and the fate of Jimmy Hoffa. Yikes! ( )
  Djupstrom | Sep 13, 2008 |
Another new mystery/police series that I discovered through book reviews, this time involving Detective Sergeant Mulheisen, set in Detroit. I think I read somewhere some comparisons to Elmore Leonard, but if so, I don't really see them. Leonard is a master of dialogue and what feels right for the voice of any particular character. Not to say that Jackson is deficient in this regard, but I didn't have the same sense of intensity that I usually find in Leonard. Perhaps partly because of the style of this story which is told in the present through Mulheisen's eyes, and the past through a series of diary-like notebooks. Mulheisen's old partner, Grootka, a legend in his time as a no-nonsense, very tough cop, now dead, left a series of notebooks detailing his accidental involvement with the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa. The books are fed to Mulheisen one at a time by various characters who were also involved at the time, and he slowly pieces together the story of Hoffa's death. The past and the future come together as one of the main protagonists in the murder of Hoffa is now a mob boss in Detroit, and suspicious that new investigations might implicate him. Another difference from Leonard is that Jackson is obviously a jazz fan and he labours lovingly over descriptions of players and styles of jazz; none of Leonard's characters, that I can recall, reflect to that extent.

The story is well-written; the characters well-drawn and believable; and the action is hard and direct and well-described when it comes. In the latter there certainly are parallels with Leonard. I will look for others in the series.
  John | Dec 1, 2005 |

Detroit Detective Sergeant "Fang" Mulheisen is about to begin an investigation into the mystery surrounding a headless corpse when a young kid arrives with an e-mail cartoon message addressed to Mulheisen. Soon the detective is being led on a scavenger hunt that takes him into modern jazz history, the Detroit police archives, and the notebook diaries of Grootka, his now-dead mentor .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:39 -0400)

Sergeant Fang Mulheisen of the Detroit police reopens an investigation into the death of the Teamster boss, Jimmy Hoffa. It happens after Mulheisen finds some notebooks purporting to explain Hoffa's 1975 disappearance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,626,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible