Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Johnny Tremain (original 1943; edition 1972)

by Esther Forbes

Member:ianmcorvidae
Title:Johnny Tremain
Authors:Esther Forbes
Info:Dell (1972), Mass Market Paperback

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes (1943)

I never read this as a child (nor had I seen the Disneyfied version since I was a child until recently). It was an okay story, and worthy of the Newberry, I'm sure. Still, I can't figure out how someone who researched Revere so much for her book on him got his ride wrong. "...made it through."? Not in Revere's own words. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
I was amazed by how much I liked this. I don't normally like historical fiction and had never read this as a child, but I wish I had. All the details of life in the colonies as the Tories and the Whigs became more extremist come alive. I feel I know a lot more about how disagreements can lead to war in general, and a lot more about Boston in the early 1770s especially.

Johnny's story isn't just young boy makes good, but a true coming-of-age, despite exterior challenges and inner demons. The other characters are richly and sympathetically drawn, whether a black laundress or Sam Adams. The language is beautiful, graceful & poetic but not at all self-conscious. It's interesting, and exciting, and even often funny - one hardly knows one is learning anything.

In fact, I'd started out to rate this 4 stars, but now I have to bump it up. I really do recommend it to everyone. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
historical novel @ silversmith — @ Boston + revolution

Johnny Tremain, a young apprentice silversmith, is caught up in the danger and excitement of 1775 Boston, just before the Revolutionary War. But even more gripping than living through the drama of Revolutionary Boston is the important discovery Johnny makes in his own life.
  christinejoseph | Mar 2, 2016 |
I read this for a 7th grade report, and absolutely loved it! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Johnny Tremain is a well-written historical novel about the beginnings of the American Revolution told around the growing up of Johnny. Johnny, apprenticed as a silver-smith, but injured in an "deliberate" accident, becomes wrapped up in the plans for the approaching revolution, rubbing shoulders with Sam Adams, Paul Revere, and others. ( )
  memlhd | Jan 23, 2016 |
Marilyn Courtot (Children's Literature)
To read Johnny Tremain is to live through two dramatic years of our country's history, and to see these great events through the shrewd eyes of an observant boy. After injuring his hand, this silversmith's apprentice in Boston becomes a messenger for the Sons of Liberty in the days before the American Revolution. His new role brings Johnny Tremain in contact with the great men of history: John Hancock, John and Samuel Adams, and other Boston patriots. The story leads up to the Tea Party and Battle of Lexington. Ward has sharpened the drama of the story by adding full-page illustrations. 1944 Newbery Award.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Marilyn Courtot

Recorded Books (Recorded Books, LLC.)
There was a purpose in what happened to Johnny Tremain, but he couldn’t see it at the time. Johnny had been Mr. Lapham’s star pupil, a clever, industrious apprentice silversmith, if not always well liked, at least envied by all who knew him around Hancock’s Wharf. His skills had even been admired by Paul Revere, the finest silversmith in Boston. But when Johnny seriously burns his hand in a furnace, he finds himself crippled, without an occupation, and with no means of taking care of himself. It seems that fate has literally dealt him a cruel hand. Soon, trouble reaches Johnny’s life in a new way. Swept along in the tide of events leading to the Boston Tea Party and the first skirmishes of Lexington and Concord, Johnny finds a job as message-carrier for the Sons of Liberty. As young and old men alike make sacrifices for a new country, Johnny prepares to take his own stand in the cause for freedom.
added by kthomp25 | editRecorded Books

Esther Forbesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cameron, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McCurdy, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stauffer, Ruth M.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, LyndIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Pamela, Emily, John and Molly Taylor
On rocky islands gulls woke.

This novel has been used three times by our seventh and eighth grade language arts teachers within the past 10 years. It has not been used recently as we have been using SpringBoard curriculum which comes with its own embedded novel units: Tangerine for th grade and The Giver for 8th grade. My experience with Johnny Tremain has been positive partly due to the extensive teacher materials we have to accompany it. However, one year, we spent too much time (like six weeks) on the novel and we were all worn out and tired of it. We would also show the Disney film to cap off our study and to provide visuals such as the early printing press. Nowadays with much easier access to visuals and primary sources, I imagine the Disney film would be an "if there was time" addition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440442508, Paperback)

This story of a tragically injured young silversmith who ends up hip-deep in the American Revolution is inspiring, exciting, and sad. Winner of the prestigious Newbery Award in 1944, Esther Forbes's story has lasted these 50-plus years by including adventure, loss, courage, and history in a wonderfully written, very dramatic package. It's probably not great for little guys but mature 11-year-olds or older will find it a great adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

Johnny Tremain, a silversmith's apprentice, takes part in the Boston Tea Party and the Battles of Lexington and Concord.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,247,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible