Moonraker

Authors:
Info:MGM
Rating:***1/2
Tags:DVD (Bond)

Moonraker by Ian Fleming (1955)

English (40)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  Danish (1)  English (43)
"Why do all the men wear moustaches?" asked Bond, ignoring Drax's question. Again he had the impression that his question had nettled the other man.
Drax gave one of his short barking laughs. "My idea," he said. "They're difficult to recognize in those white overalls and with their heads shaved. So I told them to all grow moustaches. The thing's become quite a fetish. Like in the RAF during the war. See anything wrong with it?"
"Of course not," said Bond. "Rather startling at first. I would have thought that large numbers on their suits with a different colour for each shift would have been more effective."
"Well," said Drax, turning away towards the door as if to end the conversation, "I decided on moustaches."

Moonraker, the third Bond novel, was an odd read.

The book has scenes that are very similar to Casino Royale, i.e Bond being pitched against a villain who cheats at cards. Yet, Bond seems to be a rather different character in Moonraker. He's not the condescending rake of the first two books, but comes across as quite the normal human being in this one - he has to do chores and paperwork and, like many of us, Bond doesn't like Mondays.

Of course, as in the previous books, part of the plot also has Bond in pursuit of the girl - in this case a smart, confident agent by the name of Gala Brand, who is one of my favourite female characters so far - not hard if we consider how little character Fleming has given to the ones in the first two books.
What is strange as well is that while Fleming spent more time fleshing out Bond and Gala in this one, he spent much less time on the villain of the piece - Sir Hugo Drax, who, by the way, looks nothing like his film counterpart.

"Drax gave the impression of being a little larger than life. He was physically big - about six foot tall, Bond guessed - and his shoulders were exceptionally broad. he had a square head and the tight reddish hair was parted in the middle. On either side of the parting the hair dipped down in a curve towards the temples with the object, Bond assumed, of hiding as much as possible of the tissue of shining puckered skin that covered most of the right half of his face. Other relics of plastic surgery could be detected in the man's right ear, which was not a perfect match with its companion on the left, and the right eye, which had been a surgical failure. It was considerably larger than the left eye, because of a contraction of the borrowed skin used to rebuild the upper and lower eyelids, and it looked painfully bloodshot."

Drax is a mere cliche, a comic book villain, a re-hash of the stereotypical Nazi surviving WW2 and trying to fight on.
I can see that this might still have been an exciting idea in 1955, when the book was written, I really can. However, I've really grown tired of this plot line - so when this background was revealed in the book I was disappointed. I guess, one of my favourite aspects of the Bond books are the colourful villains. So, when the villain is a mere two dimensional character, my enjoyment of the book suffers because of it - and, as I dislike Bond, more page-time for Bond doesn't make up for that failure.

What was kind of interesting, was that Fleming based Drax's background story on a real event - there really was an attempt by the SS to breach Allied lines by dressing up in Allied uniforms. However, it is unlikely that Fleming intended for any historical facts to spoil a good story, so he doesn't go into a lot of detail (and of course leaves out that the same tactic was employed by all parties).

Which brings me to my biggest gripe about the book: Fleming's shoddy research.

I had a good discussion with my reading buddy, Troy, about this very issue and I guess we dissected the life out is trying to find an explanation for Fleming's odd use of military address. All I can say is that, to my mind Fleming messed up. Big time.

While there are officers ranks in the US and British army that hold the title Captain, this is does not translate into German as "Kapitän" - at all. Nowhere near. Not possible. The only time the address of "Kapitän" would apply is with respect to a naval officer.

Shoddy research.

Also, Drax's real name doesn't work. It seems grammatically erroneous to me, but I'm happy to be disproved on that point.
It is unlikely that his name would be "von der Drache". It should be something like "von Drache" but the article "der" does not correspond with "Drache" in this case.

Anyway, rant over. This was not the best Bond novel ever, but not the worst either and probably quite enjoyable if you're into pulp fiction, comic books, or card games.

What it certainly was not, was a space adventure. The book's plot once again had nothing to do with the film, but how could it when it was written before the space age really began?

So, less "Bond in Spaaace" and more "Bond in a ventilator shaft" or "Bond for Die Hard Fans" or "Bond and Gala discuss the Ethics of Flower Picking".
Yeah, it doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bond smiled warmly at her. "I'm jealous," he said. "I had other plans for you tomorrow night."
She smiled back at him, grateful that the silence had been broken.
"What were they," she asked.
"I was going to take you off to a farmhouse in France," he said. "And after a wonderful dinner I was going to see if it's true what they say about the scream of a rose."
She laughed. "I'm sorry I can't oblige. But there are plenty of others waiting to be picked."
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
Moonraker is distinguished by being the only James Bond (apparently) where Bond neither has sex nor leaves England. I don't really have much to say about the former, but the latter is kind of fascinating; this book gives us a glimpse of what Bond is like between missions. It's clear he really only comes to life when traveling abroad for Her Majesty's Government; when he's in England, he's trapped, a caged animal forced to act civilized to fit in with everyone else, and hating it. Fleming's depiction of Bond as a barbarian disguised as a member of the British elite is my favorite part of these novels, and Moonraker gives us some new angles on it by never leaving England.

The opening of the novel is another high-stakes card game, where Bond helps M out with a man cheating at bridge; I'm learning that no one can make a card game feel high stakes quite as well as Fleming! The latter part of the book, where Bond helps foil a plot by the same man, isn't quite as interesting, though there's a very tense car chase sequence. Gala Brand has probably been the best "Bond girl" so far, a competent professional who has her own life, though I can't help but feel the narrator sneers at her a bit for being a woman.

Casino Royale has clearly been the best of these books so far, but it's also quite interesting how little they resemble the formula I know from the films. Do they ever get there, or is that formula entirely an invention of the big screen? I guess I'll find out as I continue to read.
  Stevil2001 | Jan 23, 2016 |
As one of the most thrilling Bond installments, Moonraker raises the stakes. Appealing more towards the true, English, gentleman air of Bond rather than his typical brute, kill or be killed initial persona, Moonraker is also unique. These two aspects collide in the lengthy opening scene in which Bond is engaged in a heated game of cards against his suspected criminal antagonist, Hugo Drax. It is here that the action and plot of the rest of the novel is set up in an uncharacteristically, overly sophisticated manner. However, to remain in accordance with this enhanced loftiness of the introduction, the setting is restrained essentially only to Britain for the brunt of the plot (until his inevitable adventure to space which is so idolized in the film version). Although Bond is characterized as essentially the "perfect hero" in his other adventures, Bond's flaws as a regular person are exposed here. We see Bond fail to win over any women until the very final scene, as well as Bond training to maintain his elite physical status. Both of these features are rare for any novel in the series, yet make Moonraker even more distinctly satisfying. Moonraker's genius is in its unique characteristics, and I think the novel is absolutely worth the read. ( )
  Justantolin | Jan 21, 2016 |
Terrific reading by actor Bill Nighy in this 3rd release in the 2014 James Bond Celebrity Performances audiobook series. Nighy has the perfect tone for James Bond and is a cackling villainous best when he voices head baddie Hugo Drax and especially the lead henchman Krebbs later in the book. Bond gets a final surprise from female heroine Gala Brand in the final pages.

Comes with a short 3 minute interview with Bill Nighy who was also quite taken by the book. ( )
  alanteder | Jan 11, 2015 |
If you can stand bucketfuls of misogyny, this is kind of fun, though I'd still rather watch the movies.

HOWEVER, I wish to note that this book had not nearly as many ridiculous names and the movie. Is that true for others?? ( )
  ellen.w | Jun 1, 2014 |

Ian Flemingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dibdin, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The two thirty-eights roared simultaneously.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142002062, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:50 -0400)

Moonraker, Britain's new ICBM-based national defense system, is ready for testing, but something's not quite right. At M's request, Bond begins his investigation with Sir Hugo Drax, the leading card shark at M's club, who is also the head of the Moonraker project. But once Bond delves deeper into the goings-on at the Moonraker base, he discovers that both the project and its leader are something other than they appear to be.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible