Pete & Pickles by Berkeley Breathed

Pete & Pickles (2008)

by Berkeley Breathed

Pete is a practical pig who takes comfort in his daily routine, especially since the passing of his beloved Paprika. One day that routine is interrupted in a most unpredictable and impractical way by Pickles, an escaped circus elephant who upends Pete's life, and stirs him to contemplate how chaos and happiness can sometimes be very alike. Berkely Breathed's "Bloom County" was one of my favorite comic strips, but I enjoy his children's books just as much and actually consider them finer works of art. ( )
  burnit99 | Mar 10, 2014 |
Goofy and sweet story about a pair of unlikely friends! ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
I don't know what to say about this book beyond the simple truth that this was perfect. I loved Pickles for being a renegade elephant who forced Pete out of his mournful funk. I loved Pete for being open to it, even though he had his moments of reluctance. I think that made him all the more real though. I loved the adventure of this story. Another Berkeley Breathed book has wound its way into my heart. Everyone should give this book a chance. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
Berkeley Breathed gives us a poetic story of friendship and acceptance in this lovely story about a pig and an elephant. He writes with some humor and a little sadness as we see imagination soar through the characters in colorful illustrations. Breathed pays homage to famous paintings and pictures in the different settings and throughout the book. However readers will be most touched by the relationship that Pete and Pickles form between themselves and how they come to realize that both need each other just the same as the other. Ages 4-8 ( )
  lorinhigashi | Oct 15, 2011 |
A practical pig and eccentric elephant bond because of their differences. ( )
  paulaanweiler | Aug 30, 2011 |
For Sophie & Milo
Pete was a perfectly predictable pig.

Pete is a perfectly predictable, practical, uncomplicated pig. At least, he was . . . before a runaway circus elephant named Pickles stampeded into his life, needing a friend. Pickles is larger than life and overflowing with imagination. She takes Pete swandiving off Niagara Falls. (Sort of.) And sledding down the Matterhorn. (Sort of.) Pete goes along for the wild ride and actually begins to enjoy himself . . . until Pickles goes too far. And Pete tells her she must leave.

Yet sometimes the simple life isn?t all it?s cracked up to be.

Pulitzer Prize?winning cartoonist Berkeley Breathed offers two new irresistible characters and a heartfelt, hilarious look at the rarity of true friendship.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:54 -0400)

When Pickles the elephant turns his life upside-down, Pete the pig comes to realize that a perfectly predictable, practical, and uncomplicated life is not always preferable.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible