The Apocalypse Troll by David Weber

The Apocalypse Troll (1999)

by David Weber

This was an early work by Weber, and it definitely shows. Good action scenes combined with over-the-top wish fulfillment. Not recommended. ( )
  BruceCoulson | Jan 28, 2014 |
It was pretty good, although a bit predictable. Anyone who likes the Honor series will like this, too. The same ideas of upstanding military characters, evil villains & lots of heroism. A fun read, but not as memorable as the Honor series, IMO. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Jun 19, 2013 |
Please note: I wrote this review after reading the book in March of 2006. Just copying it over!

While waiting my turn at the Honor Harrington series, I picked up this book in order to get a taste of David Weber. I was very happy with what I read. This book is a great deal of fun - lots of action, a great work of military science fiction (read: SCIENCE FICTION to those who are going "oh, but this doesn't make sense" - yeah - it's SCIENCE FICTION!! Who knows what might make sense in an alternate reality?? Heh - maybe the laws of physics, etc. are different there? *laugh*) and, of course, for those who are interested, just a teeny, tiny bit of romance thrown in. Or lust - maybe you could call it lust. At any rate, it was a very enjoyable read and I'm very glad I picked it up and took the time - I will definitely put it on my "read again after I get through the hundreds waiting to be read" list. Another I highly recommend to those who enjoy a good military science fiction book that adds a bit of humor, a bit of fun, and whole lot of action. ( )
  Katyas | Apr 18, 2013 |
This is an interesting combination of a first contact story, a combat science fiction story, and a love story. It is very different from the other science fiction I've read recently, and I enjoyed it a lot. The book has a good beginning and ending, but is slow in the middle. I'm glad I kept at it though.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/David_Weber/The_Apocalypse_Troll.html ( )
1 vote mikal | Feb 1, 2011 |
Love this, as usual. The parallels with the style of the Honor Harrington novels are obvious, though the tech is slightly different and the war is far more intense. I really like Milla - both as a person and her 'superpowers'. And Dick is great. Milla was incredibly lucky with who her ship found to save her. Someone tough-minded _and_ open-minded enough to believe her, who also had the ear of people who had the ear of the highest levels...There was a heck of a lot of luck involved in the story. Still, it hangs together reasonably well. Given the setup - that Milla did end up with Dick - the rest makes reasonable sense - and there were plans (not very good ones, but plans) for if the Troll was outside the influence of those who knew what was going on. There's a lot of lovely scenes - several points in the initial battle, that first talk on Dick's ship, meeting the President, when the Marine Major joined them, the repairs to her suit, seeing the kangaroos, several points in the final battle - and the unexpected happy ending. And the memorial moment at the end is wonderful. I always wonder about making more Thuselahs, though - offer it as an option to people who are dying anyway. A quick death or something a lot better...you might get quite a few agreements. Anyway. Neat universe, and I'm glad he didn't write any more there - the story's pretty well finished. I mean, he could write the Kanga's first arrival in the new timeline...but there's not much point, is there? ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 3, 2010 |

David Weberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blair, DruCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keegan, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671578456, Mass Market Paperback)

David Weber, author of the enormously popular Honor Harrington military SF series, takes to deep space and the high seas in the opening chapters of Apocalypse Troll. The fateful space battle and resulting spaceship crash that bring together Colonel Ludmilla Leonova and Captain Richard Aston, U.S. Navy, set the stage for another rip-roaring, guns-blazing science fiction adventure. When Captain Aston finds out Colonel Leonova's secret, he eagerly offers his help, then finds himself in the middle of an extremely dangerous military situation. Weber's fast plots, nonstop action, and attention to detail are what makes his books so much fun to read, and Apocalypse Troll is no exception. --Adam Fisher

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:26 -0400)

Spaceships from 25th century Earth pursue an enemy battle group, travelling back in time to destroy 21st century Earth. The spaceships catch up when the enemy has already arrived on 21st century Earth and battles follow. There is also a romance between two warriors, a man from the 21st century and a 25th century woman.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,470,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible