Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik

Little Bear (original 1957; edition 1985)

by Else Holmelund Minarik

Member:ChelseaHopton
Title:Little Bear
Authors:Else Holmelund Minarik
Info:Trophy Pr (1985), Edition: 1, Paperback, 63 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Bears, birthday, moon

Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik (1957)

This is the first I Can Read Book ever. A collection of stories about little bear that are relatable to students. Good for first grade and up/
  bzittlosen | Dec 17, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 18, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 18, 2014 |
Little Bear and his mother are a great team. Little Bear's mother helps him find warm clothes to wear out in the snow, she makes sure to have a hot lunch ready for little bear when he returns from the moon and of course she never forgets his Birthday!
  gfurth | Jun 11, 2014 |
I chose to read this book, because it reminded me of my childhood. We had this exact same easy reader when I was little and I read it so many times that I knew it by heart. It was one of my favorites.
  MissMurray2014 | Jun 2, 2014 |

Minarik, Else Holmelundprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sendak, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Little Bear is remarkably like a typical 4-6 year old. The stories in the book can be read on their own, or as chapters of a larger book with the final chapter tying them together. I don't like that Mother Bear tells Little Bear that he can't have his big wishes, but he can have the last wish because "it's just a little wish". The stories have enough repetition that it feels longer while still being fairly simple to read, making it a good one to practice reading fluency.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064440044, Paperback)

This is the first I Can Read Book ever, and the first of five classic Little Bear books, expressly designed for beginning readers. Elsa Holmelund Minarik and Maurice Sendak teamed up to create these simple stories that are deeply comforting and lovingly playful. In one story, "Birthday Soup," Little Bear cannot find his mother and presumes she has forgotten his birthday. With the prospect of guests arriving and no cake in sight, he sets out to make birthday soup (all his friends like soup). Just as the gathering is sitting down for soup, Mother Bear shows up with a big, beautiful birthday cake. "I never did forget your birthday, and I never will," she says to her son as he hugs her leg. In "Little Bear Goes to the Moon," Little Bear declares that he will fly to the moon in his new space helmet. Mother Bear tells him to be back by lunch, and he is. The gentle, teasing repartee between Little Bear and his mother will delight young readers, and the spacious layout and large type will encourage them to keep on reading! (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:46 -0400)

Little Bear's four adventures include taking a trip to the moon and having a birthday party.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,342,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible