Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik

Little Bear (original 1957; edition 1985)

by Else Holmelund Minarik

Member:ChelseaHopton
Title:Little Bear
Authors:Else Holmelund Minarik
Info:Trophy Pr (1985), Edition: 1, Paperback, 63 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Bears, birthday, moon

Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik (1957)

Little Bear and his mother are a great team. Little Bear's mother helps him find warm clothes to wear out in the snow, she makes sure to have a hot lunch ready for little bear when he returns from the moon and of course she never forgets his Birthday!
  gfurth | Jun 11, 2014 |
I chose to read this book, because it reminded me of my childhood. We had this exact same easy reader when I was little and I read it so many times that I knew it by heart. It was one of my favorites.
  MissMurray2014 | Jun 2, 2014 |
This book is one of my first books that helped me learn to read. The book that I currently possess was my grandmother, mother, and now belongs to me. This book allows children the ability to build their own imagination, as well as real life understandings.
This book is about a little bear and many different adventures that he has to go through. The first story is about what the sensation of cold is. He second story is about Little Bear's birthday soup. All of his friends bring something for the birthday soup, but he though his mother forgot about him and his birthday. She later brings in a cake and he is happy that she did not forget about his birthday.
  Bettymz | Dec 3, 2013 |
Little Bear;

Very cute picture storybook with 4 little stories:
What Will Little Bear Wear?
Birthday Soup
Little Bear Goes to the Moon &
Little Bear's Wish.
A delightful story of of Little Bear & Mama Bear trying to keep Little Bear warm. Little Bear, of course, has help from Hen, Owl & Duck. Wonderful artwork of Maurice Sendak accompanies Minarik's stories of Little Bear. ( )
  rainpebble | Jul 5, 2013 |
The little bear series is cute, comforting and feels like cotton candy--sweet and airless.

I'm not a great fan of this series. I know I'm in the minority and that many adults have fond memories of this series.

The illustrations of Sendak are, as always delightful. These were drawn at an early time in his career and the images and softer and darling (not a word that Sendak would appreciate.)

This book is broken into four stories of little bear and his adventures. He looks for something to wear and then realizes that he carries his warmth of fur with him wherever he goes.

Fearful that his family and friends will not remember his birthday, he invites them for soup. Delightfully surprised, he is given a large cake with candles.

In the third story little bear makes a space helmet and tries to go to the moon. Tumbling and falling, he returns to home where he eats lunch and is secure in the love of his mother.

The final story contains lush drawings of the wishes of little bear. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jun 27, 2013 |

Minarik, Else Holmelundprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sendak, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Little Bear is remarkably like a typical 4-6 year old. The stories in the book can be read on their own, or as chapters of a larger book with the final chapter tying them together. I don't like that Mother Bear tells Little Bear that he can't have his big wishes, but he can have the last wish because "it's just a little wish". The stories have enough repetition that it feels longer while still being fairly simple to read, making it a good one to practice reading fluency.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064440044, Paperback)

This is the first I Can Read Book ever, and the first of five classic Little Bear books, expressly designed for beginning readers. Elsa Holmelund Minarik and Maurice Sendak teamed up to create these simple stories that are deeply comforting and lovingly playful. In one story, "Birthday Soup," Little Bear cannot find his mother and presumes she has forgotten his birthday. With the prospect of guests arriving and no cake in sight, he sets out to make birthday soup (all his friends like soup). Just as the gathering is sitting down for soup, Mother Bear shows up with a big, beautiful birthday cake. "I never did forget your birthday, and I never will," she says to her son as he hugs her leg. In "Little Bear Goes to the Moon," Little Bear declares that he will fly to the moon in his new space helmet. Mother Bear tells him to be back by lunch, and he is. The gentle, teasing repartee between Little Bear and his mother will delight young readers, and the spacious layout and large type will encourage them to keep on reading! (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:46 -0400)

Little Bear's four adventures include taking a trip to the moon and having a birthday party.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,709,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible