QB VII by Leon Uris

QB VII (1970)

by Leon Uris

Other authors: Dan Lazar (Narrator)

A story that leads up to Queen's Bench Courtroom #7.
The plaintiff is Adam Kelno, head physician in a concentration camp run by the Nazis after Poland was overrun in World War II.
After the war, he becomes a British citizen accused of collaborating with the Nazis and performiing medical experiments without anaesthetic. At first, he is staunchly defended; but, as more evidence comes to light in the trial, his past is revealed.
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
This was my second read of a work by Leon Uris, and it was superb! In the first half of this book, the author introduces you to the two men who will eventually meet in court, "QB VII". Uris takes his time building so extensive a biography, that you really feel you know these people. I found myself having empathy for both Sir Adam Kelno and Abe Cady.

At the halfway point we are placed in QB VII court, with the barristers, judge, and jury, the plaintiff and defendant, and a sad assortment of witnesses. Due to the previously developed empathy, I felt strongly when the evidence came out, more so, I believe, because of the way the author introduced the characters in the first part of the book.

The court scenes are especially well-done, with plenty of tactics and terminology, and this book is highly recommended. ( )
1 vote fuzzi | Jul 7, 2014 |
If not for the price of $1 I probably would have given this book a miss as the blurb is merely okay verging on being both bland and overloaded with information whilst the title is obscure and meaningless at a glance.

The title QB VII is a contraction for Queen’s Bench Court #7 within the High Court of Justice - had that been the title I would have been considerably more interested.

The book tells the tale of two sympathetic characters at odds over an assertion one participated in inhumane experimental surgery in the Jadwiga Concentration Camp in World War 2. As the story develops your sympathies change and your feelings/belief of innocence shifts as each division of the book tells the characters story separately.

The last half of the book is dedicated to the libel trial and is definitely the best part of the whole book, not only for those interested in court room wrangling, but also as it's where the prior character stories all come together.

I was a little disappointed the way the story seemed to waver for the second quarter but it certainly redeemed itself with the last half.

3.5 stars ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Mar 12, 2014 |

Leon Urisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lazar, DanNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ich widme dieses Buch meiner geliebten Frau JILL zu ihrem dreiundzwanzigsten Geburtstag und Charlie Goldberg

Aspen, Colorado 16. April 1970
I dedicate this book to my darling wife Jill on her twenty-third birthday and to Charlie Goldberg
Aspen, Colorado
April 16, 1970
The corporal cadet stepped out of the guard hut and squinted out over the field.
All that I was raised by is being ridiculed and it seems that nothing is being done to replace old ideas with new ones. The worst part of it is the young people are not happy. They have abstract thoughts about loving, mankind, and ending war, but they seem to want the price of life without working. They ridicule us, but we support them. They have poor little loyalty to one another and although sex is practiced in universal lots they don't understand the tenderness of an enduring relationship.
There is in us all that line that prevents us from fully understanding those who are different.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055327094X, Paperback)

In Queen's Bench Courtroom Number Seven, famous  author Abraham Cady stands trial. In his book  The Holocaust --born of the  terrible revelation that the Jadwiga Concentration camp  was the site of his family's extermination--Cady  shook the consciousness of the human race. He also  named eminent surgeon Sir Adam Kelno as one of  Jadwiga's most sadistic inmate/doctors. Kelno has  denied this and brought furious charges. Now  unfolds Leon Uris' riveting courtroom drama--one of the  great fictional trials of the century.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

Abraham Aby, el famoso escritor de Holocausto, se enfrenta a un juicio por calumnias en la sala séptima del Tribunal Superior (el QBVII del titulo). En su libro, Aby ha acusado al eminente cirujano Sir Adam Kelno del más bestial sadismo en el campo de exterminio nazi de Jadwiga. Kelno lo lleva a juicio. Los dos equipos, el de la defensa y el de la acusación, libran una batalla legal que tiene las características de una guerra a vida o muerte. Lejos de hacer al lector testigo, una vez más, de las atrocidades de los campos, Uris desarrolla una trama de suspense que atrapa desde la primera página. Kelno, presentado bajo la luz favorecedora que le da su situación social, una sólida cultura y una inteligencia sagaz, irá viendo cómo caen todos su ropajes. Hasta desvelarlo como lo que realmente es: un culpable de crímenes contra la humanidad.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,133,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible