Cutting for Stone: A Novel by Abraham…

Cutting for Stone: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Abraham Verghese, Sunil Malhotra (Reader)

Title:Cutting for Stone: A Novel
Authors:Abraham Verghese
Other authors:Sunil Malhotra (Reader)
Info:Random House Audio (2009), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:read in 2013, audiobook, book club

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (2009)

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (momofthreewi)
    momofthreewi: Both are rich in character development and centered around unique families.
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (paulkid)
    paulkid: Physician-fathers, twins, poor decisions.
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (JGoto)
    JGoto: Also about the ties & love/hate relationship between identical twins.
    The Cider House Rules by John Irving (GoST)
    GoST: Both books relate the eventful, coming-of-age stories of physicians and their struggle to learn their craft, complete with detailed descriptions of medical procedures.
    Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (someproseandcons)
    someproseandcons: Both books are family and community sagas centered around secrets, and both books are carried by a strong and compelling voice.
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Iudita)
    The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (ddelmoni)
    ddelmoni: Exceptional characters and storyline, set in South Africa during WWII. Exceptional writing. If you liked Cutting for Stone you'll like The Power of One.
    Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both novels have a medical focus and are set in Ethiopia. The main characters in each novel were orphaned at an early age and each spent their childhoods in a religious setting.
    The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (laytonwoman3rd)
    Chang and Eng: A Novel by Darin Strauss (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Cutting for Stone portrays the life of a pair of conjoined twins separated at birth; Eng and Chang is the fictional biography of the famous original Siamese twins, who remained joined at the sternum throughout their lives. Readers interested in conjoined twins may enjoy both novels.… (more)
    The Citadel by A. J. Cronin (ainsleytewce)
    The House of Hope and Fear: Life in a Big City Hospital by Audrey Young (ainsleytewce)
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (Miranda_Paige)
    Notes from the Hyena's Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood by Nega Mezlekia (meggyweg)
    Beneath the Lion's Gaze by Maaza Mengiste (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: This was recently featured on NPR- go to thier website for an author interview.

English (435)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Basque (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (445)
A very well-crafted novel with full and diverse characters. I liked being transported to a corner of Ethiopia in a turbulent time, without the story drowning in politics and war. The honesty of the narrator was refreshing; he did not hide himself from the reader. Even the medical details were enjoyable because they were interesting without crossing over to cumbersome. I walked away wishing I'd become a doctor :) Not a light and easy book, but recommended when you want a contemplative read. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
Cutting for Stone A Novel by Abraham Verghese (read 2 Oct 2016) Ths 2009 novel by an author born in Ethiopia but long a resident of the United States tells a well-plotted story of twins, Marion and Shiva, who are with difficulty born in Abbis Ababa, their mother dying and their father abandoning them and coming to the U.S. The boys grow up in Ethiopia, both gifted in surgery. When political turmoil requires Marion to flee Ethiopia he comes to the U.S. as well. The entire story is well told, though heavy on medical and surgical accounts which might make a reader queasy. I found the book exciting and dramatic and it is certainly as good a novel as I have read in months. ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 2, 2016 |
The storyline sounded interesting, but I wasn't crazy about the execution. I must be one of the few who didn't love this. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
“We are all fixing what is broken. It is the task of a lifetime. We'll leave much unfinished for the next generation.”

Marion and Shiva Stone are born in 1954 in Addis Ababa as their mother, a nun, Sister Mary Joseph Praise, dies of pregnancy complications and their father Thomas Stone, a surgeon abandons them. The boys are born conjoined at the skull but separated at birth. They are raised by two fellow doctors at the hospital where the boys’ natural parents also worked both are immigrants from India. The two boys grow up amid the political turmoil of Ethiopia until 1979 when Marion comes under suspicion of having links with terrorist groups and is forced to flee to New York, where he qualifies as a surgeon. Shiva, too, goes into medicine but stays in Ethiopa. As children, the brothers are extremely close having an almost telepathic bond but as the novel progresses they become distant until they are dramatically reunited.

The novel is wide ranging in its scope has touches of humour and magic but it's real beauty is in the vivid descriptions of surgery, so vivid that some readers might find a little too in-depth for their liking. This is a hefty tome, mine being over 650 pages long, with a fairly in depth back story for all the main characters, as such not a quick read but is something that can be savoured and I really enjoyed the author's writing style.

If I had a minor quibble it is that I was rather hoping to read a little more about the political events taking place in Ethiopia, a country that I must admit I know little about, and that for me stops it getting top marks but a very enjoyable if slow read all the same that I would have no hesitation in recommending. ( )
  PilgrimJess | Sep 18, 2016 |
Whew! That was a long one. It was good, but if you're going to commit this kind of time to a book, I'd give you other recommendations. ( )
  corioreo | Sep 16, 2016 |

Abraham Vergheseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bull, R.Map artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hellier, GavinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tan, VirginiaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And because I love this life
I know I shall love death as well
The child cries out when
From the right breast the mother
Takes it away, in the very next moment
To find in the left one
Its consolation.
-- Rabindranath Tagore,
from Gitanjuli
For George and Mariam Verghese Scribere jussit amor
Prologue: After eight months spent in the obscurity of our mother's womb, my brother Shiva, and I came into the world in the late afternoon of the twentieth of September in the year of grace 1954.
Chapter 1: Sister Mary Joseph Praise had come to Missing Hospital from India, seven years before our birth.

Twin brothers Marion and Shiva Stone come of age in Ethiopia, sharing a deep bond that has helped them survive the loss of their parents and the country's political upheaval, but when they both fall for the same woman, their bond is broken and the two go their separate ways, until a medical crisis reunites them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375714367, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive: John Irving Reviews Cutting for Stone

John Irving has been nominated for a National Book Award three times--winning once, in 1980, for the novel The World According to Garp. In 1992, Irving was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In 2000, he won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Cider House Rules--a film with seven Academy Award nominations. Read his exclusive Amazon guest review of Cutting for Stone:

That Abraham Verghese is a doctor and a writer is already established; the miracle of this novel is how organically the two are entwined. I’ve not read a novel wherein medicine, the practice of it, is made as germane to the storytelling process, to the overall narrative, as the author manages to make it happen here. The medical detail is stunning, but it never overwhelms the humane and narrative aspects of this moving and ambitious novel. This is a first-person narration where the first-person voice appears to disappear, but never entirely; only in the beginning are we aware that the voice addressing us is speaking from the womb! And what terrific characters--even the most minor players are given a full history. There is also a sense of great foreboding; by the midpoint of the story, one dreads what will further befall these characters. The foreshadowing is present in the chapter titles, too--‘The School of Suffering’ not least among them! Cutting for Stone is a remarkable achievement.--John Irving

(Photo © Maki Galimberti)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

Twin brothers born from a secret love affair between an Indian nun and a British surgeon in Addis Ababa, Marion and Shiva Stone come of age in Ethiopia, where their love for the same woman drives them apart.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,729,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible