Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Cutting for Stone (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Abraham Verghese

Member:brewbooks
Title:Cutting for Stone
Authors:Abraham Verghese
Info:Vintage (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 667 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:medicine, Africa, fiction, kindle, read2013, bookclub

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, msrinivasan, rxtheresa, jjjcjames, maryconte, valorrmac, Carlathelibrarian
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (momofthreewi)
    momofthreewi: Both are rich in character development and centered around unique families.
    The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards (paulkid)
    paulkid: Physician-fathers, twins, poor decisions.
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (JGoto)
    JGoto: Also about the ties & love/hate relationship between identical twins.
    The Cider House Rules by John Irving (GoST)
    GoST: Both books relate the eventful, coming-of-age stories of physicians and their struggle to learn their craft, complete with detailed descriptions of medical procedures.
    Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Iudita)
    The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (ddelmoni)
    ddelmoni: Exceptional characters and storyline, set in South Africa during WWII. Exceptional writing. If you liked Cutting for Stone you'll like The Power of One.
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (someproseandcons)
    someproseandcons: Both books are family and community sagas centered around secrets, and both books are carried by a strong and compelling voice.
    Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Both novels have a medical focus and are set in Ethiopia. The main characters in each novel were orphaned at an early age and each spent their childhoods in a religious setting.
    The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (laytonwoman3rd)
    Chang and Eng: A Novel by Darin Strauss (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Cutting for Stone portrays the life of a pair of conjoined twins separated at birth; Eng and Chang is the fictional biography of the famous original Siamese twins, who remained joined at the sternum throughout their lives. Readers interested in conjoined twins may enjoy both novels.… (more)
    The House of Hope and Fear: Life in a Big City Hospital by Audrey Young (ainsleytewce)
    Beneath the Lion's Gaze by Maaza Mengiste (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: This was recently featured on NPR- go to thier website for an author interview.
    Notes from the Hyena's Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood by Nega Mezlekia (meggyweg)
    The Citadel by A. J. Cronin (ainsleytewce)
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (Miranda_Paige)

English (394)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Basque (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (404)
A very good story, enjoyed this and learned a lot about the times. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
Beautifully written story that tells the story of twins born to an Indian nun and a British doctor who were both working in a mission hospital in Ethiopia. I read that intriguing one-line description of the novel and knew that I had to read it. I was not disappointed. I don’t know how I can give justice to all that this novel is about. It is about the unique relationship of twins. It is about the practice of medicine. It is about secret love and many other secrets. It is about selfishness. It is about loss and how loss shapes individuals. It is about the history of Ethiopia and Eritrea. It is about many other things, too, and all of them narrated and analyzed by one of the twins. AND, it is told so well. The author weaves together all of these themes in a manner that made me savor the reading of the book. It is one that I would like to re-read some day. I was very close to giving it a 5, maybe a 4.75 is the better score! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This one is a re-read for my book club. It was just as good or even better the second time around. I cried the first time I read it and I also cried this time. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This book is narrated by Marion, a twin born to a British surgeon and an Indian nun/nurse in an Ethiopian mission hospital. He is raised by an Indian couple who are both doctors at the clinic. He spends his childhood in Ethiopia and eventually attends medical school there, and later moves to the United States to continue his medical practice.

I really liked the characters in this book, and their relationship with each other. There was a lot of complexity and the characters all seemed very real.

The author of this book is a medical doctor and also has a Masters of Fine Arts. This leads to some very well written descriptions of surgery and medical conditions. It is the only book I've read that has really been an engaging and interesting description of medical practice.

It took me a while to get into the book, I actually put it down about 100 pages into it, but picked it back up because I didn't have anything else to read. I ended up really liking it, and want to read some of Verghese's non-fiction, because he sounds like a really inspiring person.

I can't really manage to write this review to do the book justice, but it was a really good read. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Excellent book!!!

Among things I did not know, and learned from this great story, is that the Rastafarian faith takes its name from Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia. His pre-imperial name was Ras Tafari Makonnen. He is believed by the Rastafarians to be Christ incarnate, who would lead the people of Africa to freedom.

But the book is not about Haile Selassie or Rastafarians. It is, at heart, a book about family, passions, life's mysteries and challenges, set upon the stage of mid-20th century Ethiopia. ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Jul 13, 2015 |

Abraham Vergheseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bull, R.Map artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hellier, GavinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malhotra, SunilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tan, VirginiaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And because I love this life
I know I shall love death as well
The child cries out when
From the right breast the mother
Takes it away, in the very next moment
To find in the left one
Its consolation.
-- Rabindranath Tagore,
from Gitanjuli
For George and Mariam Verghese Scribere jussit amor
Prologue: After eight months spent in the obscurity of our mother's womb, my brother Shiva, and I came into the world in the late afternoon of the twentieth of September in the year of grace 1954.
Chapter 1: Sister Mary Joseph Praise had come to Missing Hospital from India, seven years before our birth.

Twin brothers Marion and Shiva Stone come of age in Ethiopia, sharing a deep bond that has helped them survive the loss of their parents and the country's political upheaval, but when they both fall for the same woman, their bond is broken and the two go their separate ways, until a medical crisis reunites them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375714367, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive: John Irving Reviews Cutting for Stone

John Irving has been nominated for a National Book Award three times--winning once, in 1980, for the novel The World According to Garp. In 1992, Irving was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In 2000, he won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for The Cider House Rules--a film with seven Academy Award nominations. Read his exclusive Amazon guest review of Cutting for Stone:

That Abraham Verghese is a doctor and a writer is already established; the miracle of this novel is how organically the two are entwined. I’ve not read a novel wherein medicine, the practice of it, is made as germane to the storytelling process, to the overall narrative, as the author manages to make it happen here. The medical detail is stunning, but it never overwhelms the humane and narrative aspects of this moving and ambitious novel. This is a first-person narration where the first-person voice appears to disappear, but never entirely; only in the beginning are we aware that the voice addressing us is speaking from the womb! And what terrific characters--even the most minor players are given a full history. There is also a sense of great foreboding; by the midpoint of the story, one dreads what will further befall these characters. The foreshadowing is present in the chapter titles, too--‘The School of Suffering’ not least among them! Cutting for Stone is a remarkable achievement.--John Irving

(Photo © Maki Galimberti)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

Twin brothers born from a secret love affair between an Indian nun and a British surgeon in Addis Ababa, Marion and Shiva Stone come of age in Ethiopia, where their love for the same woman drives them apart.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,079,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible