Summer of '49 by David Halberstam

Summer of '49 (edition 1991)

by David Halberstam

Member:chrisargo
Title:Summer of '49
Authors:David Halberstam
Info:William Morrow & Company (1991), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 304 pages

Summer of '49 by David Halberstam

Recently added byEdGoldstein, private library, trogrady, perkig, Adolf_Ledesma, KJC.BOOKS, NewsieQ

It’s baseball season. David Halberstam is one of my favorite non-fiction authors. Putting those two facts together, I decided to read Summer of ’49, which is about the pennant race between the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees.

Both had great seasons in 1949. Both had aging superstar sluggers, Ted Williams for Boston and Joe Dimaggio for New York. Both teams had crusty managers, Casey Stengel for the Yankees, Joe McCarthy for the Red Sox.

Although I enjoyed reading about the individual players, their superstitions, their peccadilloes, their lifestyles, their peculiar habits -- I found the play by plays of the games booooring. I mean, who knew that conventional wisdom in those days was that hydrating when temps soared during a long doubleheader was bad for a player? Or that needing a sugar fix during a game was un-manly?

I skimmed through the boring parts and devoured all the little factoids that David Halberstem dredged up. An OK book I’m glad I read. ( )
  NewsieQ | May 25, 2014 |
A grand slam ( )
  Faradaydon | Jul 23, 2013 |
What I most appreciated about this Halberstam baseball book was his sense of the ends and beginnings of different eras in the evolution of the game: racial integration, the dawn of televised games, the last seasons of Joe DiMaggio's career and the beginning of the years of Yankee dominance through the 1950s. A great read! ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
This bbok was published in 1989 and is a history of the 1949 Ameican League pennant race, won on the last day of the seaon by he Yankees. There is much discussion of the Yankee and Red Sox players of that year, particularly of Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams. Much of the book was derived from interviews with the players 40 years later, but they seemed to remember well what happend. Since I am not an American League fan and since I haveys hated the Yankees the book could have been better but there is a lot interesting stuff in the book, and it provides quite a good insight into the thinking and behavior of players in 1949, when they made a lot less money than players do today. ( )
  Schmerguls | Dec 15, 2012 |
Halberstam, though a Red Sox fan, wrote a wonderful story of the fight for supremacy between Sox and Yankees, albeit in 1949. But the rivalry preceded that year and certainly continued afterwards. As a Sox fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the history of the story which I just finished in 2012. ( )
  bogopea | Jul 8, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060884266, Paperback)

With the airwaves saturated with so much sporting choice, it's hard to imagine how, not that long ago, baseball so completely dominated the landscape and captured imaginations. Given the 1949 season that veteran journalist David Halberstam meticulously recreates, maybe it's not so hard after all. It was a season of great public and personal drama for the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees, with the conflict finally resolving itself in a Yankee pennant following a head-to-head showdown on the final day of the season. Each team was led by a star of the highest magnitude: Joe DiMaggio spurred the Yankees despite missing half the season with a foot injury; Ted Williams virtually carried the Sox on his back, missing an unprecedented third Triple Crown by mere decimal points on his batting average. Halberstam focuses much of his narrative on the trials of these two individual sporting giants, adding fine supporting performances by Yogi Berra, Ellis Kinder, Dom DiMaggio, even restaurateur Toots Shoor. Both on and off the field, Halberstam beautifully captures the ethos of a more innocent game that no longer exists, played by heroes far more driven by their pride than by their salaries.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:52 -0400)

"A journey through the 1949 pennant race, in which two legendary rivals, the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees, battled down to a winner-take-all final game of the season"--p. [2] of dust jacket.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible