The Great Hurricane 1938 by Cherie Burns

The Great Hurricane 1938

by Cherie Burns

This reviewer is one of those people who appreciate first person accounts of almost any nature. In The Great Hurricane: 1938 the author traces the timeline of the approach, impact and aftermath of the storm from the standpoint of first person descriptions of what happened in various locations along the New England coast during each of the phases of the storm.

Some of the accounts, by virtue of necessity, lapse into speculation as to what might have happened because the actual record of what transpired is veiled by an individual’s death during the storm. As might be expected with a disaster of this magnitude the range of personal experiences runs the gamut from humor to horror. The book is well written and the word pictures hold the readers interest. My only complaint is that I wish the author had included a few more maps to indicate where the various people in the book were located at the time of the event they were describing took place.

If you are looking for a book that is long on technical details and cross referenced with respect to the various aspects of the physical facts of the New England hurricane of 1938 this is not a book you would want to read. On the other hand, if you have an interest the details, at the individual level, surrounding the advent, survival, and aftermath of a natural disaster then this book is one you should consider. ( )
  alco261 | Jun 14, 2018 |
It is difficult to recreate a tragedy when the participants have all died, after all it was nearly 80 years ago. But the author does an admirable job of it. The descriptions reminded me of reading Isaac's Storm. However there were differences. New England was coming out of the Great Depression and many had not yet recovered when the storm hit. In addition to the lack of warning from the weather service, the infant phone and electrical services were completely wiped out in the initial hour. But most telling were the headlines informing readers about Hitler marching into Czechoslovakia. That overtook the news of any weather.
I was disappointed by the sparsity of resources but I was able to find newspaper reports in my online library database. I am sorry there weren't more photos of the survivors who were mentioned in the stories. All in all a good read. ( )
  book58lover | Jan 16, 2018 |
The author must have spent so much time researching this horrible hurricane. It is tragedy that 700 people died because no one believed that a hurricane would strike that area of the Northeast. For comparison, the narrator tells that hurricane Andrew killed 20 people. People also had did not have our early warning systems, they did see very low barometer readings and the birds were acting peculiar. The worst enemy was not believing that it could ever happen there.

So what made this audio book a disappointment? It was not exciting, it lacked drama. I thinking about what I would do it I was making the audio book. My first situation would be to add sound effects. Also the author had short parts about some of the people effected. I think those parts could have be added out.

This is historical accounting of what happened but it doesn't need to be dull. It could be very exciting. ( )
  Carolee888 | Aug 11, 2017 |
Mediocre at best. Mind numbingly dull at the worst. The author repeats herself. There wasn't a chapter I didn't read some sentence indicating no one knew the hurricane was coming. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 20, 2013 |
Journalistic account (sometimes maybe slipping into narrative nonfiction) based on interviews with "LI", RI and CT survivors. The reader really gets the awareness of how these coastal folks had absolutely no warning whatsoever. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Apr 26, 2013 |

Burns, Cherieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fields, AnnaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Confronting a storm is like fighting God. All the powers in the universe seem to be against you and in an extraordinary way, your irrelevance is at the same time both humbling and exalting. - Frances Legrande
For Dick, Alex, and Jessie
Milt Miller was awake by five.

On the night of September 21,1938, news on the radio was full of the invasion of Czechoslovakia. There was no mention of any severe weather. By the time oceanfront residents noticed an ominous color in the sky, it was too late to escape. In an age before warning systems and the ubiquity of television, this unprecedented storm caught the Northeast off guard, obliterated coastal communities, and killed seven hundred people.

The Great Hurricane: 1938 is a spellbinding hour-by-hour reconstruction of one of the most destructive and powerful storms ever to hit the United States. With riveting detail, Burns weaves together the countless personal stories of loved ones lost and lives changed forever — from those of the Moore family, washed to sea on a raft formerly their attic floor, to Katharine Hepburn, holed up in her Connecticut mansion, watching her car take to the air like a bit of paper.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:45 -0400)

Presents an hour-by-hour reconstruction of the destructive hurricane that struck New England on September 20, 1938.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,114,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible