The Language of Bees: A novel of suspense…

The Language of Bees: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and… (edition 2010)

by Laurie R. King

Member:KelliSFlor
Title:The Language of Bees: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (A Mary Russell Novel)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages

The Language of Bees by Laurie R. King

There isn't much to dislike about this book - Mary Russell continues to be a compelling character that matches wits with Sherlock Holmes wonderfully. I did take issue with the cliff-hanger ending and I would like to see the two main characters spend more time together but those are minor issues. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
Fun. Obviously I started in the middle. Trying to decide whether to read more. Probably at least the next one. Listened on audible
  idiotgirl | Oct 21, 2014 |
I rate this 3.5 with reservations. I was NOT PLEASED to reach the end of the book and discover it really wasn't over. There was a whole nother novel to get to the end of the mystery, yet it wasn't billed as Part One. NOT OKAY. Also not convinced by the "solution" to the minor mystery on the side. That said, the story in this and its sequel (the perplexingly named The God of the Hive--I think she just needed a bee reference because of the first book) is well written on the whole and moves along at a satisfying pace. Not her best, but enjoyable. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Jul 13, 2014 |
Have an extra half star. Picked it up for the title. Initially I was a bit disappointed by the main character Mary and by the writing which is a bit ponderous, but it soon picked up as I got to know her properly. This isn't this first in this series - actually the ninth - so I guess the author had no need to draw the character fully at the start of book none! A refreshingly active heroine, and not out of period - there were lots of real life women zooming all over the globe having adventures right back to the previous century. I'll look out for the first in the series. Always a sucker for bees.... ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |

King, Laurie R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
sterlin, jennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
First Birth (1): The boy came into being on a night of celestial alignment, when a comet travelled the firmament and the sky threw forth a million shooting stars to herald his arrival. Testimony, I:1
For Lynn and Robert on whose backs this book was written
As homecomings go, it was not auspicious.

For Mary Russell and her husband, Sherlock Holmes, returning to the Sussex coast after seven months abroad was especially sweet. There was even a mystery to solve, the unexplained disappearance of an entire colony of bees from one of Holmes's beloved hives. But the anticipated sweetness of their homecoming is quickly tempered by a galling memory from her husband's past. Mary had met Damian Adler only once before, when the promising surrealist painter had been charged with, and exonerated from murder. Now the talented and troubled young man was enlisting their help again, this time in a desperate search for his missing wife and child.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

242 wanted4 pay4 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible