The Language of Bees: A novel of suspense…

The Language of Bees: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and… (edition 2010)

by Laurie R. King

Title:The Language of Bees: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (A Mary Russell Novel)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages

The Language of Bees by Laurie R. King

First of all, if you like audiobooks at all and think you might be interested in this series, I'd whole-heartedly recommend listening to any of the Mary Russell books narrated by Jenny Sterlin. She does such a good job that I'd rather listen to these than read them.

I went 3.5 stars for this one because a few things bugged me; some canon-related and some plot related, but overall this was a very enjoyable story taken on its own merits. Any book that makes me look forward to getting in my car and driving in Melbourne traffic has accomplished something.

My gripes:
Related to canon, I had a hard enough time with Mary and Sherlock getting married because Sherlock was meant to remain unattached and emotionally unavailable so that he might devote his energies to the art of deduction. But Mary and Sherlock's marriage is, as written, truly a partnership and very little overt emotion is ever expressed, allowing Sherlock to remain truer to the nature Doyle intended.

But this whole past with Adler... no. I just can't. I don't like it. And while it's not overt, in-your-face sentimentalism, King allows Holmes to lose his objectivity and that is just plain wrong.

Unrelated to canon, the title was a stretch and frankly it didn't work. The last 70% of this book had nothing to do with the first couple of chapters, from whence the title came. Or if it did, it was obscure enough that it went right over my head during the prolonged listening period.

Finally, the ending. Really? We're going to string this out? The man is no Moriarity and while I found the religious theme of the plot interesting, it certainly wasn't interesting enough to string it or him through another book.

All in all, good, but definitely not one of the better ones I've read so far. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 17, 2016 |
This is absolutely my most favorite series ever! Every book in the series is fantastic-5 star! If you like Sherlock Holmes, you have to read this pastiche. King's is the best one I've read yet. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
The Language of Bees – Laurie R. King
3 stars

I got lucky. I think my branch library must have purchased this book right after I requested it. I’m sure I’m the first one to read this copy. I’ve read all the previous books in the Mary Russell series so I was anticipating this one for some time. In this book Mary Russell is 24 and continues to be married to an aging Sherlock Holmes. The couple has just returned to England following a tour of the world which occupied the previous two books. They are immediately confronted with the reappearance of Holmes’ son by Irene Adler and the mystery of the son’s missing wife and daughter. The book got off to a very slow start. A great deal of time spent with Mary on her own trying to solve the minor mystery of a dead hive of bees while Holmes goes off alone with his son. As in other books, King is using the bees (Beekeeping is Holmes’ retirement hobby.) as a metaphor and a foreshadowing of events to come. I think the analogy is a bit strained. The action picks up and the book becomes more suspenseful about a third of the way through. King makes use of her theological background to return to the theme of religious fanaticism that has appeared in other books. There is some good character development here. I liked the relationship that grows up between Holmes and his son. I liked seeing more of Mycroft. The crazy, half drunk pilot was amusing. The book was just too long for the amount of story contained in it. It’s especially frustrating that the book ends in a cliff hanger requiring a wait for the next volume.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
The BEST so far!!! Cannot wait for the car to return so I can head to the library and pick up the next one!!! In a way I'm glad to see this one continued as I typically hate seeing her books come to an end. (I enjoy reading them that much) I've never been one to await a sequel to anything with more than a "looking forward to it" attitude. This next book I'd wait in line for! thankfully, it's available at my library and if someone beats me to it I may have to go to the local bookstore! I tend to avoid a "series" of books as they tend to get predictable after a bit...Not so with the Mary Russell Series. ( )
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |
Perhaps not the best in the series, but a perfectly fine installment (cliffhanger notwithstanding). I look forward to the next! ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 11, 2016 |

King, Laurie R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
sterlin, jennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
First Birth (1): The boy came into being on a night of celestial alignment, when a comet travelled the firmament and the sky threw forth a million shooting stars to herald his arrival. Testimony, I:1
For Lynn and Robert on whose backs this book was written
As homecomings go, it was not auspicious.

For Mary Russell and her husband, Sherlock Holmes, returning to the Sussex coast after seven months abroad was especially sweet. There was even a mystery to solve, the unexplained disappearance of an entire colony of bees from one of Holmes's beloved hives. But the anticipated sweetness of their homecoming is quickly tempered by a galling memory from her husband's past. Mary had met Damian Adler only once before, when the promising surrealist painter had been charged with, and exonerated from murder. Now the talented and troubled young man was enlisting their help again, this time in a desperate search for his missing wife and child.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,713,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible