The Language of Bees: A novel of suspense…

The Language of Bees: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and… (edition 2010)

by Laurie R. King

1,204686,655 (3.98)114
Member:KelliSFlor
Title:The Language of Bees: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (A Mary Russell Novel)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 464 pages

The Language of Bees by Laurie R. King

Recently added bymsjudy, leo212, moffattbooks, Sheristo, private library, twtud, chriscg88, tyrosine, Llin5, Genna76

The Language of Bees – Laurie R. King
3 stars

I got lucky. I think my branch library must have purchased this book right after I requested it. I’m sure I’m the first one to read this copy. I’ve read all the previous books in the Mary Russell series so I was anticipating this one for some time. In this book Mary Russell is 24 and continues to be married to an aging Sherlock Holmes. The couple has just returned to England following a tour of the world which occupied the previous two books. They are immediately confronted with the reappearance of Holmes’ son by Irene Adler and the mystery of the son’s missing wife and daughter. The book got off to a very slow start. A great deal of time spent with Mary on her own trying to solve the minor mystery of a dead hive of bees while Holmes goes off alone with his son. As in other books, King is using the bees (Beekeeping is Holmes’ retirement hobby.) as a metaphor and a foreshadowing of events to come. I think the analogy is a bit strained. The action picks up and the book becomes more suspenseful about a third of the way through. King makes use of her theological background to return to the theme of religious fanaticism that has appeared in other books. There is some good character development here. I liked the relationship that grows up between Holmes and his son. I liked seeing more of Mycroft. The crazy, half drunk pilot was amusing. The book was just too long for the amount of story contained in it. It’s especially frustrating that the book ends in a cliff hanger requiring a wait for the next volume.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
The BEST so far!!! Cannot wait for the car to return so I can head to the library and pick up the next one!!! In a way I'm glad to see this one continued as I typically hate seeing her books come to an end. (I enjoy reading them that much) I've never been one to await a sequel to anything with more than a "looking forward to it" attitude. This next book I'd wait in line for! thankfully, it's available at my library and if someone beats me to it I may have to go to the local bookstore! I tend to avoid a "series" of books as they tend to get predictable after a bit...Not so with the Mary Russell Series. ( )
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |
Perhaps not the best in the series, but a perfectly fine installment (cliffhanger notwithstanding). I look forward to the next! ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 11, 2016 |
The beginning of this book dragged on but I like the characters so I persisted. In the end I'm glad I read it - and of course I'm waiting for the next installment because King ended it with a To Be Continued.... ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
This is another book in the series featuring Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell, and I am enjoying each book as this unusual duo solves crimes and risks all manner of dangerous attacks. This one was a bit confusing as Holmes’ son, Damian, appears on the scene. Is Damian a mad man, dangerous, or simply in deep trouble as he asks for help in finding his flighty wife and the mother of their young child, Estelle. This is not the best book in the series and I found it a bit difficult to follow. I was disappointed that it ends on a cliff hanger as we wonder if a certain person (I won’t say which person here) will die from a gun shot wound, is Mycroft under arrest, and what will happen with Estelle in future. ( )
  hangen | Nov 29, 2015 |

King, Laurie R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
sterlin, jennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
First Birth (1): The boy came into being on a night of celestial alignment, when a comet travelled the firmament and the sky threw forth a million shooting stars to herald his arrival. Testimony, I:1
For Lynn and Robert on whose backs this book was written
As homecomings go, it was not auspicious.

For Mary Russell and her husband, Sherlock Holmes, returning to the Sussex coast after seven months abroad was especially sweet. There was even a mystery to solve, the unexplained disappearance of an entire colony of bees from one of Holmes's beloved hives. But the anticipated sweetness of their homecoming is quickly tempered by a galling memory from her husband's past. Mary had met Damian Adler only once before, when the promising surrealist painter had been charged with, and exonerated from murder. Now the talented and troubled young man was enlisting their help again, this time in a desperate search for his missing wife and child.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,939,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible