Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Death of a Pirate King by the dread pirate…
Hauling away...

Death of a Pirate King (edition 2008)

by the dread pirate Josh Lanyon (Scribbler)

More o't' same stuff: Adrien English Mysteries (4)

CrewmatesArr! ReviewsPopulARRrityCrew sysMentions
Matey:Moloch
Tome:Death of a Pirate King
Them scribblers:Josh Lanyon (Scribbler)
Pearls o' Wisdom:LooseId
Piles o' Booty:Yer cargo
How ye liked it:**1/2
Pennons:lgbt, narrativa, narrativa nordamericana, english, lingua inglese, ebook, gialli

Death of a Pirate King by the scurvy dog Josh Lanyon

Nought
  1. The Hell You Say by the scurvy dog Josh Lanyon (2006)
  2. A Dangerous Thing by the scurvy dog Josh Lanyon (2002)
  3. Come Unto These Yellow Sands by the scurvy dog Josh Lanyon (2011)
  4. First You Fall by the scurvy dog Scott Sherman (2008)
  5. Cut & Run by the scurvy dog Madeleine Urban (2008)
  1. Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run Series) by the scurvy dog Madeleine Urban (2010)
  2. Mexican Heat by the scurvy dog Laura Baumbach (2008)
  3. Fish & Chips (Cut & Run) by the scurvy dog Madeleine Urban (2010)
  4. GhosTV by the scurvy dog Jordan Castillo Price (2011)
  5. Mahu by the scurvy dog Neil S. Plakcy (2005)

Nought.

Hauling away...

Well written. Interesting characters. ( )
  joeyr | Mar 15, 2014 |
*flails flails flails*

Whaaaaaaaat????? I can't really write a coherent review right now.

This was by far the most action packed, detailed and interesting book so far. And we got Jake pull his head out of his ass, too. Woohoo.

I'm going to start the last book now. Maybe they can have a little baby together. *snort* ( )
  TheBookHammock | Sep 24, 2013 |
I did not expect the climatic events that both resolved the mystery and drastically impacted Adrien's life, but once again Lanyon has me finishing one book and already desperate to pick up the next. It was not a cliffhanger so much as a game changer, and I can't wait for the next opportunity to read along with Adrien's life. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
A warning, upfront: this review contains a short quotation from the book, from a sex scene.

I care so much about Adrien and Jake that, at this point, the mystery could fly right out of the window, for all I care. That there still is a mystery, and that it's used well to bring the characters together and apart, impresses me. The fact that Adrien's heart condition is treated consistently is great, too.

The emotional development in this book definitely eclipsed the mystery for me, though. I loved seeing Jake a bit wiser, and got to like him again, and the tension between him and Adrien was very well played.

The relationships between Adrien and his family are also great. They don't have centre-stage, a lot of the time, but they're there. He feels like a real person, in some respects, because he has a family and a pet cat he doesn't want, and he has ex-lovers and we don't just see him in the context of Jake.

The thing that strikes me most as a drawback of Josh Lanyon's writing is that he occasionally uses lines/descriptions that utterly break the tension by making me shout with laughter. The one in this book:

And for a strangely polite moment our dicks bowed and scraped to each other in formal greeting -- like the first act of The Mikado or something, and then his cock kissed me hello, and mine nuzzled him back.

I just -- I spit out whatever I was drinking at the time, laughing at that line. The rest was great, but that one line... ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Two years have passed since the end of book three, The Hell You Say. Two years without Riordan, two years without being implicated in a new homicide.

The book starts with a suspicious death. Adrien's first book has been optioned for a movie and he's at an intimate Hollywood-type shindig, chatting up the people poised to kick the project into gear, when the guy sitting next to him keels over. Turns out Adrien is a suspect and, yep, Riordan is on the case.

The mystery in this book was the easiest for me to solve of the whole series, mostly because the book is driven by Adrien & Riordan's relationship. With mysteries, the reader can always cheat using the process of elimination: around one-third of the way through the book, make a list of all the characters you've met and start crossing them off. Eventually, you know who the killer is.

With Death of a Pirate King, once you've figured out that Adrien and Riordan are going to reunite there's only one real option. Because for Riordan to redeem himself, he's gonna have to pay his pound of flesh. So the villain wasn't hard to pick - he was the only, the necessary choice.

It was both satisfying and painful to see how much Riordan has to sacrifice in order to put himself right. I hated Riordan for being selfish, for hurting Adrien (and all the other people in his life), and I wanted to see him suffer. But I also hated the cops, the world, for putting him in a position where he has to choose between his career and his sexual identity.

There are so many fantasies we have about people who can be fixed. That if you make just the right adjustment, an asshole can turn into a great guy. I imagine most of the time that they don't. In any case, Lanyon does a good job of presenting both sides of the story - showing how Riordan has been pushed into a corner, but also how many bad decisions he's made in order to stay there.

MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
Wha most mateys call it
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
Coincidence, if traced far enough back, becomes inevitable. - Hineu
Startin' out
It was not my kind of party.
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Tome description

No notes found; 'tis a mystery of the deep..

Gay bookseller and reluctant amateur sleuth Adrien English's writing career is suddenly taking off. His first novel, Murder Will Out, has been optioned by notorious Hollywood actor Paul Kane. But when murder makes an appearance at a dinner party, who should be called in but Adrien's former lover, handsome closeted detective Jake Riordan, now a Lieutenant with LAPD -- which may just drive Adrien's new boyfriend, sexy UCLA professor Guy Snowden, to commit a murder of his own.… (more!)

Pillage Etomes Audio

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (4.36)

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,298 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible