Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott

Crown of Stars (2006)

by Kate Elliott

Series: Crown of Stars (7)

concluding volume[volume 7] of the Crown of Stars series. I didn’t think it ended really satisfactorily. Hughe never gets his. Things just kind of petre out, with no long lasting happy ending. Kind of like real life. Never get a real chance to see Sanglant and Liath’s love in peacetime. It ends with Blessing[their child] as an older woman. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I have to admit, I started this book with some trepidation as it's always hard to successfully wrap up a well-written series. In addition, I thought the prior book, ‘In The Ruins’, was the worst of the series. The characters seemed flat, and the plot almost simplistic, especially given the wonderful complexity of the prior books.

I shouldn't have worried: in Crown of Stars, most characters were back to their original three dimensions. However, I ended up with far more questions than answers.

Kate Elliott is an excellent writer but, in this instance, she doesn't seem to be able to pull off a satisfactory ending. While there were a few things that were cleared up nicely... but there were more that made me go ‘what the?’.

Yes, Sanglant and Liath get to live happily ever after; and that’s great. And I could even accept the alliance between Theophanu and Stronghand. But I still can’t work out the back story to Alain. What happened when Anna and Papa Otto come back together? What about the relationship between Liath and her grandmother? What is that about Hanna and Ivar, after all that time? Why introduce Sharp Edge so late in the piece? And, most importantly of all, what was the point of all that rapid growing up Blessing did?

I guess now I’ll never know. ( )
  Jawin | Sep 17, 2010 |
A great series. My only complaint is that the ending of this final book seemed to end too abruptly. I still highly recommend the series. ( )
  willowcove | Feb 19, 2009 |
I have enjoyed this series and it's taken a while to get to book 7.

'King Henry's kingdom has been ravaged by internecine warfare, in a conflict that has been both long and bloody. The bitter in-fighting within King Henry's court and the ceaseless attrition of raiders has weakened his reign and saps his strength. Yet brute force alone will not be enough to stay the darkness that has been foretold as the shadow of the Cursed Ones has fallen. The spell holding the exiled from the land is failing fast and Liath's wild sorcery may not be enough to stay the greatest threat this world has ever seen.'

I felt the ending was a bit too easy, but the book was great. ( )
  viciouslittlething | Aug 20, 2008 |
In the fine conclusion to Elliott's seven-volume fantasy epic based in part on the European medieval period, Earth is beginning to recover from the cataclysmic events—tidal waves, volcanic eruptions, vast dust clouds that obscure the sky—unleashed in book six, In the Ruins (2005). Prince Sanglant, the bastard son of King Henry of Wendar, seeks to legitimize his relationship with his consort, the martial and shrewd sorceress Liath, and found a dynasty that can continue their work of healing the battered world. Curses, King Henry's murder and ambitious rivals put formidable obstacles in Sanglant's path. Elliott has a gift for creating grim, dark settings as well as swashbuckling action scenes (both magical and material) worthy of Rafael Sabatini. This is a splendid piece of intelligent entertainment, even if it makes few concessions to new readers. (Feb.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. ( )
  nicisixx | Sep 27, 2007 |

Kate Elliottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756404061, Mass Market Paperback)

In the wake of the cataclysm many new alliances are forming even as old ones dissolve. As Sanglant struggles to legitimize his own leadership, the Aoi are carrying out random attacks-while implicating him as their leader. Stronghand has begun a march of conquest into the heart of Sanglant's realm. Adelheid and Antonia have made an unholy alliance. And Sabella and Duke Conrad are moving to seize Sanglant's crown. Cultures, religions, and races are clashing in what will be the ultimate struggle for control of this strange new world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:21 -0400)

In the epic conclusion of this series, the land is beginning to recover from the cataclysmic return of the spell-cast Aoi. Cultures, religions, and races clash in what will be the ultimate struggle for control of this strange new world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,528,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible