My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

My Father's Dragon (original 1948; edition 1987)

by Ruth Stiles Gannett

Member:klpm
Title:My Father's Dragon
Authors:Ruth Stiles Gannett
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1987), Paperback, 96 pages
Collections:Your library, Children and Youth
Rating:*****
Tags:children's fiction

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett (1948)

it's about a young boy, Elmer Elevator, who runs away to Wild Island to rescue a baby Dragon ( )
  lindy_brooke | Apr 12, 2016 |
I did this as a play in kindergarten!! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
35 months - This was our first attempt at a chapter book with few pictures. We borrowed it from a friend who highly recommended it as a good starting book. It was an excellent choice. O liked the map which we looked at before we started and then as a recap after we finished. O was easily able to follow and visualize the story line with all the animals involved and the funny things the boy does with items in his backpack. She even worked on her own book of pictures while she listened. At the end of each chapter she would ask a question or two and I'd ask do you want to read another chapter.... YES! We stopped for dinner and she told her Dad all about the story in great detail. We finished it up before bed but I think we'll be reading it again as she's been talking about it all day today. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
A lovely read wherein ‘my father’ – Elmer, rescues an alley cat. Mother did not approve. Nevertheless, he secretly keeps her. Because of that, his wish to fly is granted when the cat tells him about a dragon. And so his adventure begins…

Elmer sneaks out of his house one night with chewing gum, two dozen pink lollipops, a package of rubber bands, black rubber boots, a compass, a toothbrush and a tube of tooth paste, six magnifying glasses, a very sharp jackknife, a comb and a hairbrush, seven hair ribbons of different colors, an empty grain bag with a label saying "Cranberry," some clean clothes, 25 PB&J sandwiches and 6 apples.

In every chapter, he’ll has to find a solution to get around his obstacles, and soon it becomes clear what those rather odd items can be used for! ;)

It was a true pleasure rediscovering this book! ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Feb 26, 2015 |
Written like an old folk tale or fairy tale, this is a delightful tale of a boy who travels through a strange and dangerous land to rescue a dragon. He uses cleverness and kindness as his tools. A good book for young children - complete with a map! ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 1, 2015 |

Ruth Stiles Gannettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gannett, Ruth ChrismanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my father
One cold rainy day when my father was a little boy, he met an old alley cat on his street.
He took chewing gum, two dozen pink lollipops, a package of rubber bands, black boots, a compass, a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste, six magnifying glasses, a very sharp jackknife, a comb and a hairbrush, seven hair ribbons of different colors, an empty grain bag with a label saying "Cranberry," some clean clothes, and enough food to last my father while he was on the ship. (p. 20)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394890485, Paperback)

My Father's Dragon--a favorite of young readers since the 1940s and a Newbery honor book--captures the nonsensical logic of childhood in an amusingly deadpan fashion. The story begins when Elmer Elevator (the narrator's father as a boy) runs away with an old alley cat to rescue a flying baby dragon being exploited on a faraway island. With the help of two dozen pink lollipops, rubber bands, chewing gum, and a fine-toothed comb, Elmer disarms the fiercest of beasts on Wild Island. The quirky, comical adventure ends with a heroic denouement: the freeing of the dragon. Abundant black-and-white lithographs by Ruth Chrisman Gannett (the author's stepmother) add an evocative, lighthearted mood to an already enchanting story. Author Ruth Stiles Gannett 's stand-alone sequel, Elmer and the Dragon, and her third volume, The Dragons of Blueland both received starred reviews in School Library Journal and are as fresh and original as her first. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:27 -0400)

A young boy determines to rescue a poor baby dragon who is being used by a group of lazy wild animals to ferry them across the river on Wild Island.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible