My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

My Father's Dragon (original 1948; edition 1987)

by Ruth Stiles Gannett

Member:klpm
Title:My Father's Dragon
Authors:Ruth Stiles Gannett
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1987), Paperback, 96 pages
Collections:Your library, Children and Youth
Rating:*****
Tags:children's fiction

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett (1948)

The book "My Father's Dragon", is a great book filled with imagination creativity starting from page one. The book is about a young boy, and his adventure to "Wild Island" to rescue a young dragon who is being held captive by the exotic beasts that inhabit the island. The story is told from the perspective of the young boy's future son, so it is set in the past and the time is around the late 1800's to early 1900's. The story begins with the main character rebelling against his mother's rule. The boy decides to run away after being inspired by a tale from a stray cat that the boy was trying to help. The boy packs various materials and counts the exact number of each item. Throughout the rest of the story the boy deducts and adds to his supplies, and the numbers of the items are continually counted. This could be a great activity to incorporate during a class reading of this book. This story is filled with various animals talking, dangerous adventures around every corner, and the determination to do what is right. This book is written very well and reads easy, however there are a few terms that are outdated, and will require an explanation. The ending of the book is a bit of a let down, but I believe this is a series, so I will have read the other books in the series. Overall, I rate this book a 4 out of 5. ( )
  KMG2002 | Feb 12, 2017 |
This story is about a young boy. It is a Newbery winning book. It is a funny story about this boy named Elmer Elevator. He lives with his mother, but he decides to run away. He goes to this place called the Wild Island because a stray cat tells him about this island. He goes there to resuce a dragon that is a baby. He gets to the island by hiding away on a ship. He encounters different animals on the island too. He meets tigers, a rhino., a lion, and a gorilla. He makes a bridge to get to the other part of the island and sees the dragon. He frees the dragon and they fly away together.

This book was really cool because it is fiction and I could pretend I was going on his adventures. The book was also funny because he had to do tasks for the animals he enountered. This book earns 4 stars because it makes you feel like you are in the story. ( )
  Dontaeg.bg3 | Jan 12, 2017 |
My Father’s Dragon is about a young boy that tells a story of his father’s journey to rescue his own dragon. The story begins by his father getting into trouble for bringing home a stray alley cat. The boy tells the cat about his dreams of flying and the alley cat tells him about a dragon that is being held captive on the Island of Tangerina and that if he rescues the dragon the dragon would take him flying anytime he wanted to. The cat tells him about the animals on Wild Island and explains to him that they use the dragon to transport them across the river because they are too lazy to walk around the tip of the river to get to the other side. The boy and the cat then prepare for the boy to rescue the dragon and the cat gives him a list of life saving items that he will need. The boy then travels to the island where he encounters a tiger who he gives gum to, a rhinoceros who he gives toothpaste and tooth brush to, a gorilla that he gave a magnifying glass to see the fleas, the lion who he gives a comb to too comb his mane, and then alligators that loved pink lollipops. After getting help from the alligators to reach the dragon he frees the dragon and they fly to safety.

My Father’s Dragon is a very well written chapter book. The book is easy to read and easy for children to understand. The illustrations are great and go along with the book. This book would be a great way to start a child on chapter books. The way that the author uses each of the items packed to help each of the animals to keep the father from getting eaten is wonderful. I think that the storyline keeps the reader interested and wanting to know more. The story brings the reader into the adventure with the young boy.

One extension idea that you could do in your classroom is after you have read the story have the children get into a literature circle and have them discuss what they liked and what they didn’t like about the book. Have them write a paragraph of who their favorite character was and why. Another extension idea is to have the children write down what other animals could have been in the story and make a short story of what would have happened is the young boy would have ran into that animal. Once they are done then again get into a literature circle and discuss what they have written.
  Tbrister | Nov 22, 2016 |
GR: N
GL: 4.8
DRA: 30
Lexile: 990L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 3, 2016 |
"My Father's Dragon" is a whimsical story about a boy who frees and befriends his father's dragon. The story takes place on the islands his father told him about in his stories. This novel is a brilliant reminder of the power of stories,
and their profound meaning to children to whom they are told. ( )
  Breton07 | Jun 24, 2016 |

Ruth Stiles Gannettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gannett, Ruth ChrismanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my father
One cold rainy day when my father was a little boy, he met an old alley cat on his street.
He took chewing gum, two dozen pink lollipops, a package of rubber bands, black boots, a compass, a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste, six magnifying glasses, a very sharp jackknife, a comb and a hairbrush, seven hair ribbons of different colors, an empty grain bag with a label saying "Cranberry," some clean clothes, and enough food to last my father while he was on the ship. (p. 20)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394890485, Paperback)

My Father's Dragon--a favorite of young readers since the 1940s and a Newbery honor book--captures the nonsensical logic of childhood in an amusingly deadpan fashion. The story begins when Elmer Elevator (the narrator's father as a boy) runs away with an old alley cat to rescue a flying baby dragon being exploited on a faraway island. With the help of two dozen pink lollipops, rubber bands, chewing gum, and a fine-toothed comb, Elmer disarms the fiercest of beasts on Wild Island. The quirky, comical adventure ends with a heroic denouement: the freeing of the dragon. Abundant black-and-white lithographs by Ruth Chrisman Gannett (the author's stepmother) add an evocative, lighthearted mood to an already enchanting story. Author Ruth Stiles Gannett 's stand-alone sequel, Elmer and the Dragon, and her third volume, The Dragons of Blueland both received starred reviews in School Library Journal and are as fresh and original as her first. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:27 -0400)

A young boy determines to rescue a poor baby dragon who is being used by a group of lazy wild animals to ferry them across the river on Wild Island.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,048,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible