The Collected What If? Eminent Historians…

The Collected What If? Eminent Historians Imagining What Might Have Been (edition 2001)

by Robert Cowley (Editor), William H. McNeill (Author), Victor Davis Hanson (Author), Josiah Ober (Author), Lewis H. Lapham (Author)32 more, Barry S. Strauss (Author), Cecelia Holland (Author), Theodore K. Rabb (Author), Ross Hassig (Author), Geoffrey Parker (Author), Thomas Fleming (Author), David McCullough (Author), Alistair Horne (Author), James M. McPherson (Author), Stephen W. Sears (Author), Robert Cowley (Author), John Keegan (Author), Theodore F. Cook, Jr. (Author), Stephen E. Ambrose (Author), David Clay Large (Author), Arthur Waldron (Author), Carlos M. N. Eire (Author), Thomas Wicker (Author), John Lukacs (Author), Robert L. O'Connell (Author), George Feifer (Author), Geoffrey C. Ward (Author), Williamson Murray (Author), Andrew Roberts (Author), James Bradley (Author), David Kahn (Author), Robert Katz (Author), Caleb Carr (Author), Roger Spiller (Author), Richard B. Frank (Author), James Chace (Author), Lance Morrow (Author)

Member:JFDausman
Title:The Collected What If? Eminent Historians Imagining What Might Have Been
Authors:Robert Cowley (Editor)
Other authors:William H. McNeill (Author), Victor Davis Hanson (Author), Josiah Ober (Author), Lewis H. Lapham (Author), Barry S. Strauss (Author)31 more, Cecelia Holland (Author), Theodore K. Rabb (Author), Ross Hassig (Author), Geoffrey Parker (Author), Thomas Fleming (Author), David McCullough (Author), Alistair Horne (Author), James M. McPherson (Author), Stephen W. Sears (Author), Robert Cowley (Author), John Keegan (Author), Theodore F. Cook, Jr. (Author), Stephen E. Ambrose (Author), David Clay Large (Author), Arthur Waldron (Author), Carlos M. N. Eire (Author), Thomas Wicker (Author), John Lukacs (Author), Robert L. O'Connell (Author), George Feifer (Author), Geoffrey C. Ward (Author), Williamson Murray (Author), Andrew Roberts (Author), James Bradley (Author), David Kahn (Author), Robert Katz (Author), Caleb Carr (Author), Roger Spiller (Author), Richard B. Frank (Author), James Chace (Author), Lance Morrow (Author)
Info:G. P. Putnam's Sons (2001), Edition: Book Club, 827 pages

The Collected What If? Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been by Stephen E. Ambrose

Alternative History has always been a favorite of mine; while some might quibble that the collection here is uneven, I appreciate having so much pulled together within the covers of a single volume. ( )
  EudesDeParis | Sep 29, 2012 |
This is a collection of essays by prominent historians. Each essay discusses a pivotal historical incident, and creates a "what if?" scenario. Some of the essays were fascinating, some not so much, but there is a lot of history in this book, and it led me down quite a few new (to me, at least) reading paths. Apparently, this book is a combination of What If? and What If ?2. I found the second half (What If?2) more interesting because the essays were more contemporary. Fascinating book for a history buff, or to spark a fire in a non-history buff! ( )
1 vote tloeffler | Jan 25, 2010 |
I was disappointed in this book. The cover blurb promised far more speculation than the book delivered. I was expecting to find more fleshing out of how the various contributors thought things would have happened if certain historical events had gone differently; instead, there was much more about the specifics of the events, and how the actual outcome led to the history we know. Reasonably well-written, and I learned a bunch of historical trivia, but that's not what I was expecting. ( )
2 vote argyriou | Oct 29, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,724,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible