Freakangels Volume 1 by Warren Ellis

Freakangels Volume 1 (edition 2008)

by Warren Ellis

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Freakangels Volume 1
Authors:Warren Ellis
Info:Avatar Press (2008), Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, read, 2012, graphic novel, superheroes, london, library, may, cc

Freakangels, Volume 1 by Warren Ellis

Warren Ellis has been actually on my to-read list for the last year or so with his novel [b:Crooked Little Vein|43717|Crooked Little Vein|Warren Ellis|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1186350688s/43717.jpg|2640005]. I've been given books and purchasing books at a rapid rate so his novel has been pushed to the back burner constantly. However, when Alaina recommended this graphic novel to me and I had noticed his name pasted on the cover, I was pretty excited that I could squeeze it in.

Twenty-three years ago, twelve children were born in England with strange abilities. 6 years ago, the world ended. While it's not directly mentioned how the apocalypse was brought about, it appears that the Freakangels had something to do with it. One of the clan members however, has seemingly gone rouge when a shotgun wielding girl shows up on their doorstep threatening vengeance for his actions.

While it took me a few pages to really get into the story, the artwork grabbed me right away. Ellis doesn't show all his cards in this first issue - we're still in the dark on the identity of the rouge angel as well as his intentions.

If anything, Ellis leaves you wanting more. A lot of first issues spend a great deal of time explaining everything but with this series, Ellis throws you right in the mix. I can't wait to get my hands on the second volume. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I loved this graphic. The art work is amazing and the storyline is intense without being hard to follow.

I did just about lay an egg when my ten year old picked it up and started reading it. It is definitely intended for mature audiences. There are a few things in this story line I'm just not ready to discuss in depth with my ten year old son.

That being said, it will appeal to teen audiences. Unfortunately there are very few teens to whom I would suggest the series. The primary reason being that there parents might stroke out. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
This was cool. I loved the dialog and the characters. Not much is given away about what really happened and there's not a lot of action but it seems like a cool setup for better things to come. ( )
  ragwaine | May 31, 2013 |
The first print volume collecting the FreakAngels webcomic by Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield is very good indeed. The FreakAngels are a group of young mutants with psychic powers, who believe themselves to have been responsible for the collapse of modern civilization. They serve as warrior sentinels to a somewhat utopian community of a few hundred people assembled in Whitechapel in the midst of a flooded future London. The story was inspired by John Wyndham's Midwich Cuckoos, although the comics medium makes it hard not to read it in light of the X-men and other mutant superhero bands.

The characters are strongly drawn, with the central corps of the dozen FreakAngels complemented by a few key ordinary people. Dialog is often telepathic, and Ellis and Duffield manage to convey that with a number of seemingly effortless narrative and pictorial devices. As is typical of Ellis, there is some violence, the more brutal for being set in the midst of stretches of calmer, more reflective storytelling.

Paul Duffield's art is very beautiful. There's no garish four-color palette here: the future is gray and green and ivory, and the FreakAngels are pale and purple. The ruined and flooded cityscape is lovingly and credibly rendered.

The physical production of the Avatar Press softbound volume is quite satisfactory. The book's webcomic origins have two interesting effects. First, the page/panel design is quite inflexible, accommodating only quarter-, full-, and half-page rectangular panels. Second, the narrative pacing doesn't "chunk" into roughly 20-page "issue" components, as one can routinely expect from trade volumes that collect individual print comic books. Nor does it fully resolve at the end of this book. Having been frustrated by Ellis's apparently stalled Doktor Sleepless after reading its first trade collection, I'm relieved and gratified to see that there are already six FreakAngels volumes in print.
2 vote paradoxosalpha | Aug 23, 2012 |
I had read this online and it was interesting to compare the experience with reading the book. It's an interesting storyline with a group of psychic young people having been born at the same time with the same eyes and skin no matter where they came from. Six years ago the world ended. London is semi-submerged and they keep trouble away. Part of the problem is that they have too much power, one of them wants all the power and there are other factions that want to stop them.

Interesting and convoluted and I really should get back to reading it... ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 23, 2012 |

Warren Ellisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duffield, PaulIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
23 years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same moment.

"Twenty-three years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same time. Six years ago, the world ended. This is the story of what happened next."--P. [4] of cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,280,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible